Toyota Nation Forum banner
2821 - 2840 of 2904 Posts

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
198 Posts
Somewhere in a box in the basement is my blue metallic portable Sony Minidisc player. I remember being amazed by the digital recording capabilities and the optical line out (or was it line in - can’t recall). Not to mention - no skipping when the ride got bumpy! :)
It's a nifty little format, more compact than cassettes, works better than CD's, and they look so cool, here's a bunch of them I received with the radio.
Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Electric blue

Been looking for those brackets as well, but no dice. Most cars had the head unit replaced with an aftermarket one, and instead of bolting to the brackets, people used the sheet metal sleeve that comes with the new radio for the mounting, and scrap the brackets...
The problem is those brackets, and the radio have to be installed before the center console panel, which is not possible with some aftermarket radios, as they often have a larger profile with a lip to hide the gap around the front fascia, sometimes the lip is removable though.

I did find the brackets, 86212-12310 and 86211-12320, I just have to order them.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,233 Posts
It's a nifty little format, more compact than cassettes, works better than CD's, and they look so cool, here's a bunch of them I received with the radio.
View attachment 364898

The problem is those brackets, and the radio have to be installed before the center console panel, which is not possible with some aftermarket radios, as they often have a larger profile with a lip to hide the gap around the front fascia, sometimes the lip is removable though.

I did find the brackets, 86212-12310 and 86211-12320, I just have to order them.
The gap that you’re referencing might be the center console finish panel. You might need the correct finish panel for the md player to fit properly.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
2,197 Posts
Me neither haha, I can't find any info on it, and it's discontinued so I can't find out exactly which models were sold with it if I search by part #.
What is the part number? I checked my 1991 and 1993 JDM E100 Corolla brochures and there are no MD deck pictures.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
198 Posts
The gap that you’re referencing might be the center console finish panel. You might need the correct finish panel for the md player to fit properly.
Could be it, but this particular unit probably wasn't offered with the 7th gen Corolla, so I don't think this panel exist. I could either 3D print a bezel, or reuse one from another deck, or maybe I'll just keep the radio as a quirky display item, I dunno lol.
What is the part number? I checked my 1991 and 1993 JDM E100 Corolla brochures and there are no MD deck pictures.
08600-00019, serial # P9100328, made by Fujitsu Ten. I can't find it either in the brochures I have for the higher trim models like the FX, I did find MD deck for the BZ-Touring, but since this model is more recent the deck are also more modern and don't match the look of 7th gen decks at all.
Black Camera lens Font Camera Material property

Publication Font Wall Material property Paper

Talking about brochures, these are part of the latest package I received from Japan, which includes a NIB Tom's steering wheel complete with box and label :love:, this is the first and only one I've ever seen for sale in this condition.
Eyewear Publication Sunglasses Gadget Font

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
198 Posts
Interior done (for now), I installed the Tom's Dijon Steering wheel, the minidisc head unit and the multibox, and I also swapped the shifter assy for a LHD model from a G6.
The radio gave me some headaches, it wouldn't read most discs and the sound was stuttering, but after a good cleanup and some fresh grease it works beautifully now. Since I haven't ordered the brackets for the oem radio I tried mounting it under the hvac controls, and I used the stock block off plate just as it was from the factory, and so far I like it, especially at night as there's only the gauge cluster lights in my field of view when driving now, and I have to look down to see the radio, it's less distracting.
Musical instrument Typewriter Keyboard Musical instrument accessory Shelf

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Personal computer Computer

Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Car Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle

Plant Vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive design

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
198 Posts
I wonder what year that MD deck was made.
There's a date stamp on the unit, jan 22 2001, which is quite late for a deck like this, the front panel is exactly the same as the stock deck for a 93 corolla, except for the MD slot instead of a tape slot. Although I guess some models from early 2000 received older equipments as standard, like the RAV4.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know it's not a big thing, but new to me..I just received a Battery Tender in the mail and am charging my battery..which seems like it has low power when I start it up..I have to gently hold the gas pedal down for 10-20 seconds when starting..I wonder if this will fix ..
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,233 Posts
I know it's not a big thing, but new to me..I just received a Battery Tender in the mail and am charging my battery..which seems like it has low power when I start it up..I have to gently hold the gas pedal down for 10-20 seconds when starting..I wonder if this will fix .. View attachment 367965
Depending on how old the battery is, the CCA is down. If you can get a multimeter, you can measure the battery at rest. Then measure when it’s running. At rest, ~12.6v is where you want to be. With engine running and accessories off, ~13.5v. If it’s higher, the battery is not getting the proper charge from the alternator. This could be from internal leaking of the cells inside.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,419 Posts
I know it's not a big thing, but new to me..I just received a Battery Tender in the mail and am charging my battery..which seems like it has low power when I start it up..I have to gently hold the gas pedal down for 10-20 seconds when starting..I wonder if this will fix .. View attachment 367965
You can pull those caps off of the battery and check the water/acid level in it. There will be six cells, or holes under those caps. If any of them are low, you will want to add some distilled water to them to top them up. Don't use tap water, because I think it causes internal corrosion.
You can look on the internet, or maybe someone here will have some pictures of what a properly filled battery cell looks like.
How old is the battery? Even if they didn't knock out the little month and year tabs on the decal under the hold-down bracket, there should be a little round sticker, or two, on the sides of the battery, which list(s) its date of manufacture.

·
Registered
Rolla DX
421 Posts
Got the front seat redone finally with some foam for lost support and the closest color matched leather fabric I could find. $250 was a bit steep but came out great and it’s one step closer to restoring the XLE to its prime.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Window

·
You asked for it...
424 Posts
Decided to get the daughter's 97 Corolla registered this morning. It's been sitting in the garage for almost two years, gathering dust and drying up. Had to pump up 3 tires and give it jump to get it started,but it ran perfectly. So I drove it down for the emission check. It passed easily. I ordered he plate sticker online, gave it a bath, drove it around for an hour, and it's ready to go again when she comes in for a visit next month.

·
Registered
1998 AE101 Corolla
179 Posts
Decided to get the daughter's 97 Corolla registered this morning. It's been sitting in the garage for almost two years, gathering dust and drying up. Had to pump up 3 tires and give it jump to get it started,but it ran perfectly. So I drove it down for the emission check. It passed easily. I ordered he plate sticker online, gave it a bath, drove it around for an hour, and it's ready to go again when she comes in for a visit next month.
Make sure you change the oil from sitting, probably a handful of other things to do.

2821 - 2840 of 2904 Posts