Toyota Nation Forum banner

5421 - 5440 of 5506 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those looks Gen 4.5s, but custom, Depots? Anyhow, please don't put LED or HID in a halogen housing, projector or not.
The beam pattern is different and lights gets scattered everywhere, produces tons of glare and blind incoming traffic.

Did you know that too much light up close constrict your pupils, which results into reduced peripheral/distance vision? You want the light to be thrown further in front of the vehicle, not directly in front of it, won't do you or anyone else any good.

One is better off replacing the housing with an new one if they are dull+alignment, put in brand new halogen lamps, some of which are whiter/brighter but doesn't last as long, halogen also have a better tint/color reproduction (CRI) than those of cheap LEDs, which have a terrible blue tint to them.

And they'll defrost the headlamps in winter :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those looks Gen 4.5s, but custom, Depots? Anyhow, please don't put LED or HID in a halogen housing, projector or not.
The beam pattern is different and lights gets scattered everywhere, produces tons of glare and blind incoming traffic.

Did you know that too much light up close constrict your pupils, which results into reduced peripheral/distance vision? You want the light to be thrown further in front of the vehicle, not directly in front of it, won't do you or anyone else any good.

One is better off replacing the housing with an new one if they are dull+alignment, put in brand new halogen lamps, some of which are whiter/brighter but doesn't last as long, halogen also have a better tint/color reproduction (CRI) than those of cheap LEDs, which have a terrible blue tint to them.

And they'll defrost the headlamps in winter :)

I got Anzo aftermarkets, which were specifically designed for LEDs and HIDs bulb patterns.

You are right though, Don't put these bulbs in stock headlamp housings.

Looking at Anzo's website now, it appears they don't make these headlamps for pre-facelift.

Well you can always try and retromod a set of them for your Gen 4.0

Failing that, these bulbs are halogen, but will far out-perform the stock ones.
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/products/headlights-and-fog-lights/silverstar-ultra/9003_silverstar_ultra.jsp

·
Registered
125 Posts

not that bad for 27 years old radiator, now i have only distilled water and waterwetter inside. Gonna do some extra flushing during summer.

·
Registered
'98 Camry LE
68 Posts
4th gen question

So we picked up a strut bar off of a 2000 Solara with the 1MZ engine figuring it would be a direct bolt on to our gen 4 Camry V6. It bolted right up. Thing is the hood won’t close shut. Are these engines sitting higher on these cars?

·
Registered
'98 Camry LE
68 Posts
4th gen question

So we picked up a strut bar off of a 2000 Solara with the 1MZ engine figuring it would be a direct bolt on to our gen 4 Camry V6. It bolted right up. Thing is the hood won’t close shut. Are these engines sitting higher on these cars?
Here’s an article with my same problem
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-camry-3rd-4th-gen-1992-1996-1997-2001-1st-gen-solara-1999-2003/1533986-solara-strut-bar-gen4-camry-j-vin.html?amp=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Did an oil change on my uncle's '95 5S with Mobil1 10W-30 synthetic and a spare Denso filter for a 2AZ. Oil hadn't been changed in about 2.5 years, has some sludge and the Chinese PCV doesn't help. Gotta order random bits and bobs (PCV and hoses, oil dipstick due to cracking rubber seal, etc), this car looks like crap but is in very good shape mechanically. Hopefully if my uncle keeps to the schedule and comes back in 6 months or 5K (mostly city), it'll stay that way. Also noticed the driver-side axle has a slight crack and is flinging grease, I have a spare gen4 OE axle so will see if that fits.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recall that Toyota offered the 14" wheels on the I4 variants and the 15" wheels on the V6 variants (bigger brakes).

I think 16" rims only appeared for the 4.5 refresh. (2000 - 2001).

·
Registered
125 Posts

finally got my lightweight highsidewall tyres on!

175/80R15 nankangs with mini forged rims, rim with tyre weights 13kg

ride is so mushy, best ever

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Did final checks and fired up my resurrection project ('00 5S-FE auto Camry). Started just fine, the usual long-sitting startup "issues," tomorrow I'll recheck and top off fluids, and replace the thermo fan switch which seems to have gone bad from sitting.

Lol, the airbox was broken, and I didn't realize that I had a perfectly good one in the donor car's trunk. So drove 40 miles round-trip to my favorite Pick-n-pull to spend $18 getting another. Not a total waste though, my bud put me on to an XLE that came in yesterday, so I managed to snag perfect plastic woodgrain trim to put on mine.

My donor car's headed to heaven soon, so if any of you need gen4 parts, now's the time to nab good parts at a discount; check the For Sale section. Have some rebuilt parts (and can rebuild some), like P/S pump, cylinder head, torque converter, etc.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Got my plenum, intake, and valve covers back from media blasting from the support shop down the way. Pics of plenum and intake:

...they said they could coat in powder-clear to truly bulletproof these for all time, but that certain metals will discolor at 400 degrees (obviously not a problem for powder-colors that aren't translucent). What you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Depends on the environment. If it's gonna stay in sunny, dry CA, I'd skip it. If it's going into some hot humid hell-hole, or some salty rust belt area, I would. Bare aluminum can build up some nasty white corrosion.

If ya wanna get fancy, look around for a plating shop that can do a chromate conversion coating. Commonly done in clear or sexy yellow...

Or you can go totally nuts with anodizing, which can be done in a multitude of colors. Problem is, anodizing on castings is problematic for giving uniform colors. It usually comes out blotchy looking. Depends on how fussy you are.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Depends on the environment. If it's gonna stay in sunny, dry CA, I'd skip it. If it's going into some hot humid hell-hole, or some salty rust belt area, I would. Bare aluminum can build up some nasty white corrosion.

If ya wanna get fancy, look around for a plating shop that can do a chromate conversion coating. Commonly done in clear or sexy yellow...

Or you can go totally nuts with anodizing, which can be done in a multitude of colors. Problem is, anodizing on castings is problematic for giving uniform colors. It usually comes out blotchy looking. Depends on how fussy you are.

Cool, didn't think of the chromate and I just so happen to have a couple plating shops within walking distance. I'll talk to them, and ask to see pics for the last customer at the powdercoat shop that wanted clear; they told me today that the customer didn't like the way they turned out, so I wanna see pics.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Made a list of stuff that I need to address within the next year on my beatercam:

- struts are shot, rides floaty but handles floaty too
- driver door lock actuator shot, won't beep on lock as the lock doesn't move
- need replacement battery hold-down
- who the hell installed this Motorad gas cap! OE cap to order

Passed smog no problem, now just need to insure it. Made an appointment at a DMV in rich-people land so the understressed employees there can maybe find it in their hearts to reduce the 8 months of back-reg...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Today gen3 camry left our life, My 64years old mother had citroen xantia manual gear box which one day broke it´s engine ECU, she has driven pretty much all her life manual cars and workshop recommend her to get automatic car so today she got one.

I was pretty scared driving with her, my hand on handbrake, couple clutch foot on brake nothing serious, recommend her to learn some manouvers on empty parking lot.

Before car left i drop 2,5liters of transmission oil, change interval has been around 30000km

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Went to my favorite Pick-n-Pull to replace a window regulator with a snapped cable on my buddy's 3ES. Decided to get a door lock actuator for my beatercam.

Never again, Blowing $35 on the used door lock actuator that I didn't have a voltage supply available to test was terrible. Had the same weak/overheating motor that my current one did, just going to shell out the $150 or so for a new one that'll last another 20 years.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Installed a cheap valve stem cap TPMS system on my beatercam, got another coming tomorrow for my V6 manual. Also replaced the oil dipstick with a new gen3 dipstick, as it'll allow me to mount a large Ford Vulcan filter w/the installed gen3 oil cooler. Also noticed that I'm about half a quart low; guess the engine being out for so long dripped out most of the residual oil.

Gotta pilfer my donor's driver window regulator as the rattling from beatercam's makes me think the gear wheel is stripping.

5421 - 5440 of 5506 Posts