Toyota Nation Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 5517 Posts

·
Registered
Toyotas.
342 Posts
Goldilocks got a complete brake service, rebuilt (by me) calipers and new rear linings, with fluid change. Also got 2001 Headlights (she's a '98) and a new fuel filler neck. The Grey One is in for injectors and a new cam cover gasket, and I polished the headlights to remove the haze. Waiting on injector seals, now.

Cosmo

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,766 Posts
SOLD IT!

Take care!

·
Registered
10 Posts
(previous post #5477 on 9/21/2019)
Since my last post, my wife's 1997 V6 AT has gotten:

* Both rear adjustable lateral control arms (Moog).

* Both rear upper strut mounts (aftermarket, from 1A Auto).

* Both rear lower spring seats (OEM).

* Both rear sway bar endlinks (aftermarket, from 1A Auto).

* Both rear ABS sensors (aftermarket, from 1A Auto)

* Both front directional bulbs.

* A new OEM hood rod, with the clip and the grommet.

* An OEM thermostat with gasket, a 2x distilled water self-flush, and a fresh batch of Zerex Asian

The brakes occasionally "fart" in stop-and-go-traffic. I'm not sure if that's because they're aftermarket sensors, or if something else is wrong. It wasn't doing it before I busted the original sensors.

The coolant is now a gorgeous transparent pink color, and the overcooling at near-highway speeds has gone away.

So, it's now gotten a near-complete rear end rebuild; only the struts and springs themselves, the subframe bushings, and the knuckle itself, hasn't been swapped. It's amazing how tight and quiet the car has become...

Next post will report what it took to get rid of the intermittent misfire codes. It seems to happen when it's doing in-town driving; it'll do hundreds of miles on the highway without even setting a pending code, but a few days after getting home from the long trip, the CEL comes back. I suspect it's worn plugs, but it could be a vacuum leak; I'll spray some ether to find out. I'm also going to do a fuel filter right away because it's cheap, it's easy, it looks original, and it would neatly explain a lean-misfire condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replaced VSV for the EGR, was hoping to clear both codes I had, but it at least got the P0446 cleared.
Brake fluid flush
Oil change
Wiper linkage broke

Always made weird noises, and I didn't pull the boot off, it was already loose. Found a wrecked Solara at the Pic n pull, got the linkage for about $14.

Just crossed 348k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I blew the passenger side 6x9 speaker on the way home from work yesterday. I'm off work next week so I'm going to remove both speakers and build a BP4 enclosure with two 8's porting through the 6x9 holes. I'm going to run some old amplifiers I have lying around in the basement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the rear deck speakers in mine yesterday, too. They were already replaced once with some VR3 brand speakers, and the clip nuts weren't even installed correctly. Took a little time and put some deadener around the cutout, mounted the clips and dropped in some new Pioneers. Also need to buy some panel clips, they were all missing, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Checked to see if the low pressure power steering line I ordered was a direct replacement of the currently installed line. Good news, it fits! Thanks to this site for its resources and knowledgeable members.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never thought the dome light provided enough illumination in this car, so I replaced the rear view mirror from an old GM car. These solder joints suck I know, but it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Checked to see if the low pressure power steering line I ordered was a direct replacement of the currently installed line. Good news, it fits! Thanks to this site for its resources and knowledgeable members.
5 Hours and the return hose is installed. My body is sore from being hunched over the car but my mind is clear and satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Changed the oil and filter yesterday, Fed Ex showed up with the "Heavy Duty" strut spring compressor from e-bay, heavy duty means it didn't break or fly apart when using ? Anyway the weather was nice so I started on replacing the bad strut. I finished up today after a quick run to a local auto store for a new bellows. I checked the other rear shock and of course it needs changing..... and no doubt the front struts also... and probably every other moving part in the suspension. But the strut that froze solid in the cold weather is laying in the back yard now and the new one installed in it's place. I still need to put the back seat back in but I wanted to clean up first. This will get me by until the mood hits me to change the other rear strut, and that's apt to be while. The old strut was completly shot, the piston rod dropped on it's own with little or no resistance and water seeped out the seal.

·
Registered
98 Corollah LE
52 Posts
I had the timing belt done with a Gates exteded wear Blue Racing belt, Koyo tensioner and idler and Aisin water pump. The local Tech college'scautomotive dept. did the work for free. Great people over there Car runs new now.

Mint 99 Camry 2.2 5S-FE

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took my 115k mile ‘99 4-VIN with the 5SFE on a road trip last week. Driving down the Interstate, doing 80MPH, I look down and see the temp gauge moving up. It had never done that before. I slowed down, never let it get above an 1/8 of the way above operating temp. Got to the next stopping point for the trip, popped the hood and found coolant running down the side of the engine bay from the coolant overflow tank. Had to patch it with duct tape because no auto parts stores carry them anymore!

Went to the junkyard and pulled one from a J-VIN, unsure if it would work, and sure enough it slotted right in. I also noticed a car waiting to get put out into the yard: 98 XLE V6 with the 15” stock alloys. I was able to go and pick them up today. The tires are garbage, and I just bought new tires for my 14” steelies about 6 months ago so these are just going to sit and wait. Still, all four for $45 a pop with lugs, only missing 1 center cap, I got them for a steal compared to what they go for online and even local (if you can find them). Very excited! They’re cleaning up well too. Rim rash on some but I can live with it. May look into getting it fixed a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a alarm/remote starter that was planned for another car, plans changed so I installed it into the 4th gen. Should come in handy as the temps been dropping lately. Plus I’ve always hated having to manually unlock the doors hahaha.

5481 - 5500 of 5517 Posts