Toyota Nation Forum banner

5501 - 5506 of 5506 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
(previous post #5486
A few days ago, I finished the set of all four motor mounts. I didn't bother with the shift shock absorber, because that's easily doable at any time.

The car was on the stands for 2 and a half weeks, and consequently, the wife (rightfully) on my case for that same interval. That passenger drive axle had been replaced before, so I went in hoping it'd slide right out. No such luck. I ordered a slide hammer. No dice. I wound up having to cut the axle, and then cut it again so the stub would fit into the bench vise. Even then, it didn't press out, it cracked the outer race, and that mid-shaft bearing came out of the motor mount bracket in pieces.

Removing the old mount from the bracket involved a hacksaw, a hammer, and a drift, and then a sanding drum on the cordless drill to recondition the inner surfaces of the bracket.

From there, it wasn't much trouble to press the new mount into the bracket, and the replacement drive axle slid in without the slightest fuss, with some plain grease on it.

Word of advice to anyone tackling that rear motor mount, just plan on cutting that axle out. Hope not to have to, yes, but be prepared to.

Also replaced the fuel filter. That's a lot easier to do with the driver's wheel and fender apron off, and direct access to the bottom of it.

About that aforementioned misfire code; I'd moved the #2 coil (misfire on 5) and saw the code move with it, so I swapped in a new coil, but then the code came back. Inspection of the front 3 spark plugs says it's time to replace them. A set of Denso Iridium TT's is on the way. I'm going to attempt it without tearing down the plenum.

·
Registered
Camry v6 *automatic (yuck) transmission * 98, till the engine blows
6 Posts
New radiator installed, oil changed, tore out back seats, new power steering fluid, break fluid, and to swap rims and install bc racing coilovers, map the wiring from my mazdaspeed 3 to work in camry and solder what I can and cant. And probably pass out in or under the car again because I don't know when to stop.

·
Registered
Camry v6 *automatic (yuck) transmission * 98, till the engine blows
6 Posts
A few days ago, I finished the set of all four motor mounts. I didn't bother with the shift shock absorber, because that's easily doable at any time.

The car was on the stands for 2 and a half weeks, and consequently, the wife (rightfully) on my case for that same interval. That passenger drive axle had been replaced before, so I went in hoping it'd slide right out. No such luck. I ordered a slide hammer. No dice. I wound up having to cut the axle, and then cut it again so the stub would fit into the bench vise. Even then, it didn't press out, it cracked the outer race, and that mid-shaft bearing came out of the motor mount bracket in pieces.

Removing the old mount from the bracket involved a hacksaw, a hammer, and a drift, and then a sanding drum on the cordless drill to recondition the inner surfaces of the bracket.

From there, it wasn't much trouble to press the new mount into the bracket, and the replacement drive axle slid in without the slightest fuss, with some plain grease on it.

Word of advice to anyone tackling that rear motor mount, just plan on cutting that axle out. Hope not to have to, yes, but be prepared to.

Also replaced the fuel filter. That's a lot easier to do with the driver's wheel and fender apron off, and direct access to the bottom of it.

About that aforementioned misfire code; I'd moved the #2 coil (misfire on 5) and saw the code move with it, so I swapped in a new coil, but then the code came back. Inspection of the front 3 spark plugs says it's time to replace them. A set of Denso Iridium TT's is on the way. I'm going to attempt it without tearing down the plenum.
I like your style already. You motivate me, tbh. (DONT let it go to your head, lol) but I enjoy seeing other who are about that DiY mindset.
Anywho, hows the ol gal running now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like your style already. You motivate me, tbh. (DONT let it go to your head, lol) but I enjoy seeing other who are about that DiY mindset.
Anywho, hows the ol gal running now?
Thanks!

She runs great so long as she's warm. Start her cold and put her in gear, and there'll be a blinking CEL within 200 yards. The plugs have arrived, so that's looking like a project for this coming Saturday. I'm expecting to go through most of my vocabulary of profanity trying to do that rear bank.

I'll also be doing both of the accessory belts. When I was in there doing the rear motormount, I noticed some pretty serious cracking on the PS belt. If that were to snap on some twisty back road, like the one that leads to our house, there could be a real problem avoiding that next tree.

The plugs, belts, oil change kit, and new air filter have all arrived, so it's looking like it'll be a busy weekend. Until then, day job ties up day and evening...

Other stuff coming, too, but I'm hoping to put what I can off until late spring. The weather is already starting to suck here.

5501 - 5506 of 5506 Posts