5601 - 5610 of 5610 Posts

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
This is mandatory caliper upgrade:
View attachment 301927
Lol.

I know it's a joke, but seriously though, the rear v6 calipers with the hps pads are overkill even with the small amount of pressure the brake system sends to the rear end compared to the front. They are basically there just to stop the rear end from becoming the front end, but don't do diddly as far as braking force when going hard because the rear end is just sheet metal, suspension, and wheels.

With weight transfer and the super aggressive front brakes the rear end locks the wheels about the same time as the front when going straight. If I put on stronger brakes they would overpower the fronts and I would actually lose braking ability. I wouldn't be able to get the fronts to their limit before the rear caused some really sketchy vehicle movements. No reason to get bigger front ones when it's already easy to lock the wheels at 60mph, there is an even more aggressive pad out there I could try if I wanted to, but these ones are already nuts.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Started work on fixing the valve cover leak onto my rear headers. Basically the entire rear valve cover had zero sealant material left around it except the gasket itself. Didn't have any trouble getting any bolts out even the 14mm one people seem to have trouble with, just used a 3/8ths wrench with a stubby socket and ninja fingers and had a good 5mm to spare. I didn't have to unplug my power steering pump either - I tried but couldn't find the connecter so I winged it. Hopefully nothing broke.

I don't know anything about how to assess or diagnose valve trains - anything stick out wear wise other than the oil? The cams are all perfectly smooth to the touch, but the non contact surface of the cams look pretty worn, is this an issue?

·
Registered
142 Posts
That strut bar...did you have to shave off a bit that goes around the strut tower? Looks like you did, only asking because I bought one last week and had to do the same thing - went at it with a file for around 15 mins filing away the bits that couldn't clear the flange. Only had to do it on the left side of the bar though, probably because the car may have been hit somewhere in the right fender knocking things off slightly.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
That strut bar...did you have to shave off a bit that goes around the strut tower? Looks like you did, only asking because I bought one last week and had to do the same thing - went at it with a file for around 15 mins filing away the bits that couldn't clear the flange. Only had to do it on the left side of the bar though, probably because the car may have been hit somewhere in the right fender knocking things off slightly.
I didn't have to shave anything on the strut bar, hell I didn't even fully remove it for this job just 3 nuts and turned it to use as hanger, it presses against the hood when closed though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, does the same thing on my car too. There's actually a little dent in the reinforcing bar thingies on the underside of the bonnet where the strut bar has pressed into it, but only on one side though. Been trying to make the dent a bit bigger/deeper so it doesn't strain the bonnet latch.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Replaced VC gaskets, cleaned a disturbing amount of the wrong kind of coke out of the plenum and valve covers, then washed with acetone and rattle canned red because rice car. What a clusterf*** lol. Oh installed a new throttle cable and managed to get my shorty intake another inch shorter, I should probably go buy a new filter today; this one's seen some stuff...Oh relocated knock sensor as well.

·
500,000 + Miles
2000 Solara
464 Posts
Installed new front brake pads, calipers, rotors, and the control arms. All except the brake pads were original parts. The caliper on the passenger side was dragging and I found some notes here on TN to indicate debris from rubber seals breaking down can clog a port that allows return brake fluid. I decided to replace the rotors too since the passenger side rotor had over heated a bit from the dragging. One of the bushings on the driver side control arm was shot so I replaced both driver and passenger control arms.
536,000 miles and counting....

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Flogged the crap out of it autocrossing. I'm still learning to not drive like a moron, but at the end of the day I was within a few seconds of most (stock) miata drivers who had stickier tires so there is a lot of potential in this car.

I really wasn't expecting so much of a difference in power compared to last time, especially since it was 20 degrees hotter outside today; but I was definitely making a significant amount more than earlier in the month. Toyota really screwed the pooch with these knock sensors.

5601 - 5610 of 5610 Posts