Toyota Nation Forum banner

What did you do to your Gen 3 Camry, Gen 4 Camry, or Gen 1 Solara today?

890894 Views 5897 Replies 661 Participants Last post by  cjepps
Got this idea from this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337177 Just to keep things a little neater.
Like the title says...
Just putting this up for those of you that didn't really do anything that significant to start a new thread for..... so just add it to the list here. ANYTHING you did to your Camry today post it up. :thumbsup: PLEASE keep this on topic!
5881 - 5898 of 5898 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Started planning out how to patch rust through holes into trunk behind rear wheels to keep what gets thrown off tires out of trunk wells on each side. Got metal to bend/fabricate patches on both sides. I'm thinking will install from inside trunk once metal is shaped then JB weld in place, then seal from outside. Just trying to get a few more years out of her, only 140K miles (2001 LE 4 cyl dark green) but car has lived its life in Buffalo NY, snow and salt, etc., have taken toll.

View attachment 405845
That dark green color is one of my favorites

· Registered
41 Posts
Started working on replacing my heater core this past weekend, and found that the dumb pipes weren't angled correctly. Thanks partsgeek.com! Now I got another one coming via eBay this time.
Prepping the body for respray. Trying to finish within the next couple days.
Went to the junkyard and found a spoiler finally! Buuuut thanks to the stubborn screws being on there, I tool the entire trunk home with me, so I could use different tools to get it out. Returning the trunk for a refund since they said I could. Woo!

· Registered
1997 Camry CE
22 Posts
My alternator crapped out on me last week, so I replaced it with a reman'd Denso from RockAuto. I drained the battery a little too much on Friday (my electronics started turning off right as I reached my driveway), so I got a jump from my father's car. Drove around for about 40 mins, the new alternator works like a charm. I might just let them keep the core charge, buy a repair kit, then fix the broken one, then sell the alternator for more. Not sure what I want to do, tbh.

· Registered
41 Posts
My alternator crapped out on me last week, so I replaced it with a reman'd Denso from RockAuto. I drained the battery a little too much on Friday (my electronics started turning off right as I reached my driveway), so I got a jump from my father's car. Drove around for about 40 mins, the new alternator works like a charm. I might just let them keep the core charge, buy a repair kit, then fix the broken one, then sell the alternator for more. Not sure what I want to do, tbh.
If it's worth your time to repair it, and sell it for some cash, I'd say doooo iiiiiit.

· Registered
41 Posts
Going through the paint process on my car, a section at a time. Since it's also my daily driver, gotta balance out times to paint and handle things like taking my daughter to school.
Prepping the front bumper next to be painted.
Meanwhile, my dang heater core is not wanting to maintain a good seal. After installing it I ran it in the garage, monitored the pipes and kept coolant in the funnel. There was no leaking at all.
A few days later on start up, I heard a dripping sound in that area.
WTH...I'm hoping I just need to re-tighten things.

· Nuts & Bolts(mostly nuts)
127 Posts
I replaced the passenger side rear wheel cylinder on my '94. It was an easy job and I was able get one from Autozoo right away.
I was noticing a rhythmic thumping noise from the rear when stopping sometimes. I pulled the passenger drum off to check the hub thinking that was to blame. I then noticed everything was soaked with brake fluid. I cleaned everything and dried the brake shoes with a heat gun. I took only about an hour to do everything.
I checked the driver's side and it was still dry.

· Registered
2006 Avalon Limited pearl white.
398 Posts
I had my CV joints replaced. No more thuds or clunks! Love it. They did a few other things as they asked me “how I liked it”. Camry seems to be more powerful, sound more powerful too .. but mot smoother .. at idle. They fixed a few lights too. But I need to do something w my candle power headlights tho. And don’t want to lower the idle speed either. I’m really getting to like this car (95 4cyl. Automatic) 4 dr.
I can see why many think this is the best car ever.

· Registered
95 Posts
I had previously replaced my left side outer CV joint and boot, (quite a drama), took the vehicle for a short run to determine it works OK. Great! Park the car. Job done. Today, a couple weeks after, it's a nice day for a longer drive and it's time for a run anyway. As is my habit I do a visual inspection of the tyres just in case of a slow leak. All going well, next thing to do is hit the tyres with a rubber mallet to get a rough indication of tyre pressure. I got to the left front tyre, hit the tyre - and the whole wheel moved! I have to admit not in a good frame of mind at that time. Jacked the car, pulled the wheel off, and a small stone fell off the hub, along with some mettle dust . Made mental note to in future always make sure the rear of the wheel where it is hard against the hub must be clean. Am now doubly certain checking the wheels before a trip is a pre-journey must. After the cussing I did manage to have a bit of a laugh.

· Registered
398 Posts
Stmoloud,
As a truck driver I usta take a swing at the tires (one at a time .. all 18) with the “cheater bar” and it soon became amazing how one could tell how much pressure was in the tire w a good swift “thump”. We had heavier and longer “cheater bars”. On big flatbed trucks the cheater bar is the steel bar that’s used to tighten the chain “binders”.
Been doing that some on my Toyota’s but haven’t found a good cheater bar yet.

Reactions: stmoloud

· Registered
95 Posts
Stmoloud,
As a truck driver I usta take a swing at the tires (one at a time .. all 18) with the “cheater bar” and it soon became amazing how one could tell how much pressure was in the tire w a good swift “thump”. We had heavier and longer “cheater bars”. On big flatbed trucks the cheater bar is the steel bar that’s used to tighten the chain “binders”.
Been doing that some on my Toyota’s but haven’t found a good cheater bar yet.
Yes I too got into this practice when in the heavy vehicle industry. It only takes half a minute, or even less. I discovered the feedback when hitting the tire with a hefty rubber mallet was much better than kicking the tire. And better for the shoe.

· Registered
398 Posts
Stmoloud,
Why did you use a rubber mallet over a steel bar?
JB

· Registered
41 Posts
Just recently re-replaced my egr vacuum delay valve thanks to Dorman's part going to crap within about 3 months.
Got a WVE part from Rock Auto, and now the check engine light is off. (Hooray!)

Prepping the trunk for the led spoiler install. Holes are drilled from inside and out.

I see the prewired connector that I can use for the brake light, but does anyone know where I can source the female connector for that? I don't have a problem with soldering the wires, but if I can get the connector for it I'd rather do that.

5881 - 5898 of 5898 Posts