Toyota Nation Forum banner

6001 - 6020 of 6021 Posts

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the midst of doing a lot of proactive fixes since my baby is almost 15 years old with 94,500 on it. Complete refurbish of the cooling system: Coolant flush and fill, new thermostat, new coolant temp sensor, and new radiator hoses. Good thing I did the hoses as the lower radiator hose bottom clamp was nearly rusted through! While it was up on jacks I changed the oil, upsized the filter, and put in a new oil pressure switch. Also put in new belts, got some Gatorbacks on clearance from RockAuto before they disappear completely.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used the steam cleaner to de-badge the car. The Camry and XLE logos are gone. Then I used the steamer to remove the dealer's decal which was ugly. Then I buffed and polished the trunk to make it look like they never existed. Looks great now.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I used the steam cleaner to de-badge the car. The Camry and XLE logos are gone. Then I used the steamer to remove the dealer's decal which was ugly. Then I buffed and polished the truck to make it look like they never existed. Looks great now.
Do you plan on... blacking out the front badge...? Because now it looks like a dot on top of your grille... (this is a serious question too)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you plan on... blacking out the front badge...? Because now it looks like a dot on top of your grille... (this is a serious question too)
I think my Camry has the full exterior silver trim package.... all the little chrome accents and stuff. the front logo just pops out. I am going to leave it so it matches all the other exterior trim.

I only pulled the words "Camry" and "XLE" off the trunk along with the dealers sticker.

If I did anything to the silver logo on the front and the one that is part of the license plate light trim, I would want to put the glowing ones in, but I don't know how to wire all that stuff up as simple as it probably is.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I think my Camry has the full exterior silver trim package.... all the little chrome accents and stuff. the front logo just pops out. I am going to leave it so it matches all the other exterior trim.

I only pulled the words "Camry" and "XLE" off the trunk along with the dealers sticker.

If I did anything to the silver logo on the front and the one that is part of the license plate light trim, I would want to put the glowing ones in, but I don't know how to wire all that stuff up as simple as it probably is.
Something like that should be relatively simple. Though for me "too ricey". Mine is already a base model so the only badge on there is just the Toyota logo and the Camry emblem. I removed the dealership name a long time ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was time for the second timing belt kit to be installed. The previous owner had the first one done at a shop at 90K, and it's now at 185K. It was the first one I've done, so it was a good learning experience. I got a Continental kit and was very happy with it (good OEM parts and Japanese bearings). I also replaced the cam seals and crank seal, which I'm glad I did, because both cam seals were leaking. I made my own cam seal install tool with a piece of PVC pipe and a longer bolt with some big washers. I bought another larger PVC pipe for the crank seal, but it was slightly too big, so I just used the pipe to evenly tap it in with a hammer.

The project got crappy fast, as one of the long bolts that goes through the aluminum engine mount broke off at the beginning of the threads. I tried drilling through it from the bottom and extracting it upwards so I could separate the pieces, but the extractor would not bite well enough. I went to the store and bought a 3/8" 12" long drill bit and drilled the rest of from the top, sucking out the shavings with a shop vac as I went. I was going to try to salvage the bracket by re-tapping the holes, but it was going to be a major pain in the ass.

The local dealer had two new long bolts AND they actually had the bottom engine block mounted bracket in stock. The mount was $50 and the bolts were $20. I needed them that day, so I bought them. I DID just buy another mount on eBay for $29, so I'll return the eBay one to the dealer and get my money back. :) Couldn't find the bolts cheaper online.

On a side note: my cheap Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact was unable to get the crank bolt out. I tried my $30 1/2" electric (corded) Harbor Freight impact and it got it. Haha! Love that thing, it's plenty torquey.

·
TableRocked
144 Posts
2008 Solara SLE, Blizzard Pearl, grey interior, convertible - sitting in the garage on a trickle charger - still at 40,103 miles and holding..... wife hasn't driven it in months

·
Registered
280 Posts
After getting references from a number of people with Toyota's where I live, I scheduled a Transmission Fluid change at a local transmission shop. They were very reasonable and I found out my Gen 6.5 Camry has a "serviceable" transmission pan (I thought they were all "sealed". I guess not. They checked the fluid, dropped the pan, installed the pan back and put new WS fluid in at half the price of the dealer.

Then I took the car to a local car wash to remove all the trash hurricane Dorian whipped at it over night.

Last I brought it home and did my first oil change on it with Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and installed the Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug instead of the factory drain plug. Previously the original owner had the oil changes done at the dealer with Mobile 1.

The little cap in the middle of the oil filter cap was locked and I could not loosen it with a ratchet, so I put it in a vise and was able to loosen it (the middle cap in the oil filter cap) to drain the filter before pulling it off. replaced the o rings that came with the filter.

The car is running like a champ and I can tell a huge difference with brand new Toyota ATF WS fluid before getting home to do the oil change. I am not regretting it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Changed out my alternator that had me broken down in a parking lot for a week! Probably would have changed it out quicker, but I was willing to wait 3 days for a reman Denso alternator to come in, rather than go with one of those junk aftermarket ones.

·
Joyridin'
12 Posts
For my 2008 SE V6 I ordered new brake rotors and pads, all around. Originals still going at 176k miles! But pads are very thin and one rotor is warped, vibrates when braking hard at > 55 mph. Going to replace plugs and serpentine belt for 2nd time, drain and replace trans fluid (6th time), flush radiator, replace hoses 2nd time. Preparing the car to give to daughter, and buy me a new 2019 XSE V6, of if I can wait a month longer, 2020 model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve acquired at 2004 Solara SLE. What should I do first besides rims&tires? What are the thoughts on S/C versus a turbo kit? I’ve been driving 4x4 lifted trucks for the past 10 years and haven’t had an import since 2001, and it was a Honda. I guess this makes me a newb.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’ve acquired at 2004 Solara SLE. What should I do first besides rims&tires? What are the thoughts on S/C versus a turbo kit? I’ve been driving 4x4 lifted trucks for the past 10 years and haven’t had an import since 2001, and it was a Honda. I guess this makes me a newb.
IDK, There is a company that makes Super Chargers that fit Camrys and Solara's but I was told you really want to do it before the engine hits 50-75k miles. I wanted to S/C my Camry. Only way I could reliably do it now is to buy a new engine with zero miles. I listen to allot of music, so I would upgrade the sound system. Not to win bass competitions, but for a clean crisp but not "tinny" sound. Possibly professional window tint...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had an LED failure in the front drivers side marker bulb. I thought it was just a loose connection, so I turned the steering wheel, un-did the wheel well splash gaurd and couldn't twist the connector to look at the socket and pull the bulb out so I ended up taking 45 minutes to jack the car up, pull the wheel off, pull the clips out of the splash guard so I could roll it back. I finally got the side marker bulb out and the bulb/LED was destroyed and I don't have any spares.

Then I had to put it all back together so I could go to work, but before going to work, I ordered replacement LED's for the side markers in the front. I don't know why Toyota makes replacing those things so difficult.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Son's '05 Solara's alternator began to whine a few days ago. Pulled one from pick-n-pull with only 68K miles for $65 and helped him replaced it. Saved the old one and might try to rebuild it (for grins and giggles).

6001 - 6020 of 6021 Posts
About this Discussion
6K Replies
596 Participants
maestro123
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing