Toyota Nation Forum banner

7741 - 7748 of 7748 Posts

·
Captain Camry
279 Posts
Window tint. Darkest in the rear and legal 13% in the driver and passenger side.
Looks good. What state do you live in that allows 13% in the front?! I wouldn't even do mine that dark in the rear. When I bought mine it was about 15% in the rear and I changed the rear to 30% because it was too dark. Especially with that dark interior.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Camry Super White
8 Posts
California.

The tint shop does the legal tint allowed otherwise they get fined if a customer gets pulled over. I might have misunderstood him when he said 13% but here's a reference from Tinting-laws.com

Tint darkness for sedans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/california/
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
California.

The tint shop does the legal tint allowed otherwise they get fined if a customer gets pulled over. I might have misunderstood him when he said 13% but here's a reference from Tinting-laws.com

Tint darkness for sedans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

13% in front is illegal in California. Even though they mentioned 88% of light allowed in front, that's technically no tinting because the factory windows are already slightly tinted.

Anything darker than that is not tinted by the factory but by the dealership.

I should know this because I got written up for front window tints and it was 60%.

Just don't drive around LA or Irvine regularly. Cops on mountain bikes in LA loves to give out those tickets. Irvine cops just love to give out tickets in general.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Camry Super White
8 Posts
Thanks for the heads up @xpeed. I usually drive with my front windows down because i love the breeze.

This was how my previous car's tint looked like

·
Captain Camry
279 Posts
13% in front is illegal in California. Even though they mentioned 88% of light allowed in front, that's technically no tinting because the factory windows are already slightly tinted.

Anything darker than that is not tinted by the factory but by the dealership.

I should know this because I got written up for front window tints and it was 60%.

Just don't drive around LA or Irvine regularly. Cops on mountain bikes in LA loves to give out those tickets. Irvine cops just love to give out tickets in general.
Irvine's biggest one is exhaust mods. There's days I'll see them pull over several cars at a time for that. They're notorious for being 'by the book' but not unreasonable. Mostly they go after exhaust mods because they profile that in with other illegal activity. That and blackedout taillights, good God that's an awful trend. As a longtime resident, I've never had any issues with my tint or other mods.

California.

You did misunderstand. A tint that allows 88% of light in, is an '88%' tint. So a tint that allows 13% is a 13% tint, reverse of what your understanding is. (Not putting you on blast, just clarifying).

7741 - 7748 of 7748 Posts