Toyota Nation Forum banner

7801 - 7820 of 7837 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got news that my torque converter failed and that it is going to cost $2400 to fix. This should have been a recall. On top of that I find out part of that estimate is for 11 hours of labor and according to the forums I've read it don't take over 6.5. I am devastated and pissed at Toyota and won't buy another one! 3 months after the service bulletin (that should have been a recall) ended. Makes me sick. I think Toyota should pay for this faulty part. Especially when they know its faulty.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
156 Posts
Bit the bullet and ordered a set of Bridgestone Turanza Quiettracks from Costco. When I had my 20k service a couple months ago the dealer said my (stock) tires were getting iffy regarding tread. Thought I'd be able to make it through winter, but nope. The storm that went through a couple days ago dumped close to a foot of heavy, wet white sh...snow that compresses to ice if you look at it cross-eyed. Got stuck 20' from my door. Both going to work in the AM and coming home in the PM. The main streets are bare, but the side streets and the parking lot of the slum I live in are barely passable, even with a 4WD. Have to suffer for a week and a half though until the tires make it to Costco and my appointment to have them installed. I got them for the same price as TireRack.com. The other tires TireRack recommended looked nice, but the only place I could have them installed here has atrocious reviews. It makes me sick having to fork out close to a kilobuck for a set of tires, so hopefully they'll do me right.
Got them installed yesterday at Costco. Was surprised to see they do nitrogen inflation and do NOT use impact wrenches!:D I was their only appointment at 10 but it still took almost exactly 60 minutes before I got the car back. They actually did put the right tires on - from the horror stories I read about places not even installing tires and saying they did I was apprehensive, but it all worked out. The tires definitely did sound quieter than the OEMs. The little jaunts to and from work yesterday and today on dry highway pavement gave me the sense that the car was more responsive - probably because I actually had tread that gripped the road. The car was definitely not squirrelly on the foot-thick ice on the side streets and in the apartment's parking lot. Of course I could spin them if I stepped on the gas, but I'm no longer apprehensive about future snowstorms. Of course, they aren't Blizzaks, so I still have to pay attention to what I'm doing, but winter should be manageable. I'll be heading back to Costco on Saturday to have the wheels re-torqued after putting 25 miles on them. I'm not planning on any road trips during the winter, but come spring/summer, there's a nice long stretch of I15 that's calling to me so we'll see what these babies can do! :cool: Of course I'm still in the honeymoon phase with them, but I think I made a good investment. They have an 80,000 mile warranty - somewhat better than the ~20,000 the OEMs had.;) These tires are pretty pricey. But if you can swing it, I don't think you'll go wrong.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
156 Posts
I bought them through Costco online and surprisingly they were the same price as listed on TireRack.com. The OEM tires were I believe Pirelli's. Unfortunately I never took a picture of the model, just the size. However I'm pretty sure they were the original tires on the vehicle when it was purchased new.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,535 Posts
Finally it's happening. Upgrading the rotors to slotted ones to go with the Hawk HPS pads I bought last year.

The brake pads are below 15% now and my current rotors are "warped" so time for an upgrade...and Amazon had these on sale almost 50% off and I happen to get the last one.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Camry Super White
18 Posts
America's Tire price matched those of Walmart for the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack 215 55 17. Price per tire is $171.99 (Costco, Tire Rack, Simple Tire) but got them for $151.99 each.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
516 Posts
Finally it's happening. Upgrading the rotors to slotted ones to go with the Hawk HPS pads I bought last year.

The brake pads are below 15% now and my current rotors are "warped" so time for an upgrade...and Amazon had these on sale almost 50% off and I happen to get the last one.

Right on!

Curious, how many miles did you have on your brakes?

I had about 42k on my factory front brakes before I replaced them. The pads actually had plenty of material left on them, probably due to my downshifting to slow myself very often. The factory brakes were weak and would shudder almost violently when emergency braking (on the freeway, etc.)

Looking forward to seeing your impressions of those slotted rotors. I ended up going with EBC Premium OE Replacement rotors. I liked that they were fully coated and had tight tolerances.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
156 Posts
America's Tire price matched those of Walmart for the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack 215 55 17. Price per tire is $171.99 (Costco, Tire Rack, Simple Tire) but got them for $151.99 each.

View attachment 293906
Interesting. The inflation pressure for your tires was 35 psi. Mine was 33 and matches what is on the plate attached to the car. Guessing it's because of the different tire size?

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,535 Posts
Right on!

Curious, how many miles did you have on your brakes?

I had about 42k on my factory front brakes before I replaced them. The pads actually had plenty of material left on them, probably due to my downshifting to slow myself very often. The factory brakes were weak and would shudder almost violently when emergency braking (on the freeway, etc.)

Looking forward to seeing your impressions of those slotted rotors. I ended up going with EBC Premium OE Replacement rotors. I liked that they were fully coated and had tight tolerances.
I'm over 80k miles now. This will be my first time replacing my pads and rotors.

I checked my pads yesterday and I can still get 5k miles out of them so I decided to do it once I reach 85k miles.

I'll probably do my rear pads at 100k miles. I went to a private auto shop to get my oil change since they were cheaper than other guys and the mechanic started telling me with such urgency that I needed to replace my front pads and my rear pads were at 10% plus new rotors.

I asked how much just the labor would be and they're like $200 for 2 hour job. My mechanic charges $80 per axle and only takes an hour for him.

I'm like "chill man", I know the status of my pads but man, they're great actors, I can see why most people will panic and decide to do it right away and overpay.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XLE V6
223 Posts
2015 XLE V6
41,364 miles
Tires Replaced & 4wheel Alignment
Original Tires: Michelin Primacy MXV4
Replaced with Michelin CrossClimate+

7801 - 7820 of 7837 Posts