Toyota Nation Forum banner

7921 - 7940 of 7972 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
149 Posts
Replaced the front and rear sway bar end links with these beefy Mevotech ones.

For whatever reason, some bright star at Toyota thought it was a good idea to use plastic end links in the front rather than metal to cut corners. I’m thinking: “Really Toyota? You have to be THAT cheap?” Luckily, these all metal ones are tough, painted for rust resistance, and come with zerk fittings too. 😃

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,756 Posts
The end links looks like they're welded to the rod instead of one casted piece of the OEM. Wonder how much stronger the welded one will be.

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
149 Posts
There’s no comparison between cheap plastic and solid metal, not to mention the rear was bent as shown. So much for being casted. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,684 Posts
There’s no comparison between cheap plastic and solid metal, not to mention the rear was bent as shown. So much for being casted. 🤷‍♂️
I'm planning to upgrade my rear sway bar so I might just install these at the same time.

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
149 Posts
I'm planning to upgrade my rear sway bar so I might just install these at the same time.
I had the progress group rear sway bar and front upper strut tower bar before upgrading the end links, so the handling and grip were improved, but upgrading the end links was the icing on the cake. I can tell a difference, and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Replaced the front and rear sway bar end links with these beefy Mevotech ones.

For whatever reason, some bright star at Toyota thought it was a good idea to use plastic end links in the front rather than metal to cut corners. I’m thinking: “Really Toyota? You have to be THAT cheap?” Luckily, these all metal ones are tough, painted for rust resistance, and come with zerk fittings too. 😃
What do these end links do and what difference in handling one would expect?
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
149 Posts
What do these end links do and what difference in handling one would expect?
Thanks
As you can see in the pictures, they’re a lot thicker than the stock ones, so when you’re cornering aggressively, it helps keep the car planted. One of the first things I noticed while holding them is that the upgraded ones have thicker and stiffer ball joints, and they have zerk fittings so you can grease them. Also, in case if you overfill them with grease, they’re designed to let out any excess so as not to damage the inside of the ball joints. If you only upgrade the links without a bigger rear sway bar and/or an upper front strut tower bar, you may or may not feel that much of a difference, but it beats having cheap plastic ones that aren’t as strong. Some of the original links had ruptured boots in the ball joints, so it was leaking grease and more or less useless at that point. There was too much play in them, and one of the rear ones bent which doesn’t help either. At 61,000 miles, this is unacceptable - OEM or not.

Bottom line is: I already had a bigger rear sway bar and a strut brace up top in the engine bay, so the handling was improved to begin with, but these new end links are like the icing on the cake, and the car now feels very planted to the ground. Any lateral body movement is virtually eliminated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bottom line is: I already had a bigger rear sway bar and a strut brace up top in the engine bay, so the handling was improved to begin with, but these new end links are like the icing on the cake, and the car now feels very planted to the ground. Any lateral body movement is virtually eliminated.
So where do you buy these rear sway bar , the strut brace, the end links and also the lowering springs? Could Toyota still do the alignment?
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
149 Posts
I bought the rear sway bar from CarID, and the strut brace from Amazon. The end links were from RockAuto, since they had the best price. I don’t have lowering springs, so I can’t comment on that.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,684 Posts
I bought the rear sway bar from CarID, and the strut brace from Amazon. The end links were from RockAuto, since they had the best price. I don’t have lowering springs, so I can’t comment on that.
Looks like you got the Terrain Tough version, correct?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 2012 Camry SE owner here. I've owned it for 1 month now. 3rd Toyota I've owned. I also have a 4th gen 4runner that will get an overhaul soon. I added Diode Dynamics SS3 sport fog lights in yellow, wrapped the front emblem in carbon fiber and updated the interior lights with natural white LEDs. I am going to retrofit the headlights next week.

IMG_20210221_175317186~2.jpg IMG_20210221_175255755_HDR.jpg IMG_20210310_223305730~2.jpg IMG_20210310_223204720~2.jpg IMG_20210221_180125318.jpg IMG_20210302_133842918.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Updated my steering wheel...

·
Registered
24 Posts
So for those who adventure enough, I "pop the hood" of my HeadUnit radio yesterday:
1. The 2012 Camry SE with Navi on mine is a Pioneer, touch screen is 6.1" with 4 pin off to the side ( if you look at the front of the HU, the 4-pin cable is off 1.25" to the passenger side)
2. The open heart surgery is not too messy, but keep all screws, take pictures and be patient: it is dedicate job.

Other than that I order the wrong pin (8 pin instead of 4), the new one should fit :mad: o_Oo_Oo_O😀😀

I will report again when the replacement unit come .
I have the same feeling :mad: hope it is not so bad and repair or replaceable, worse case I can replace it with ebay used unit.

Thanks, I will report if anything worth saying.

LT-
EV-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got tired of looking at the trunk overlay. The chrome was peeling off and bubbling up. So it had to go! Not sure why I committed to doing this late in the afternoon on the coldest day. But it looks good 😌 . I plasti-dipped the spoiler and painted the rear badge red, last year at the end of the summer.

7921 - 7940 of 7972 Posts