Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1208 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I started to de-badge my XSE this morning, only to quickly find out that the "CAMRY" letters has little pins that insert into the body, making it impossible to de-badge without leading a ton of little holes. Maybe once a body shop can perfectly match the Ruby Flair Pearl, I'll take it in and have them fill the holes.
I wondered how they got all those letters to line up perfectly straight. I guess that explains it.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I started to de-badge my XSE this morning, only to quickly find out that the "CAMRY" letters has little pins that insert into the body, making it impossible to de-badge without leading a ton of little holes. Maybe once a body shop can perfectly match the Ruby Flair Pearl, I'll take it in and have them fill the holes.
Just got in from getting windows tinted (All 8, windshield included - 3M Crystalline). I stopped by 3 body shops. All 3 gave me a quote of $350 to fill in the badge holes and paint. I'm hoping there will be an aftermarket replacement for the piece soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just got in from getting windows tinted (All 8, windshield included - 3M Crystalline). I stopped by 3 body shops. All 3 gave me a quote of $350 to fill in the badge holes and paint. I'm hoping there will be an aftermarket replacement for the piece soon.
I'm curious, what type of aftermarket replacement for the C A M R Y badging would you like to see? I would really think twice before having the holes filled and painted, since in my experience even the best paint job never looks quite the same as the factory finish. While body shops have gotten very good at computer matching paint color, the texture and finished surface quality never looks exactly the same to me. If it bothered me that much to have a Camry I'd consider getting a different car before I'd remove the badging and have paint work done to a brand new car.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm curious, what type of aftermarket replacement for the C A M R Y badging would you like to see? I would really think twice before having the holes filled and painted, since in my experience even the best paint job never looks quite the same as the factory finish. While body shops have gotten very good at computer matching paint color, the texture and finished surface quality never looks exactly the same to me. If it bothered me that much to have a Camry I'd consider getting a different car before I'd remove the badging and have paint work done to a brand new car.
Yea, I agree. I wouldn't ever willingly debadge if it had pins and I certainly would never think about having the holes filled and paint work done on a literal brand new car. That's just not smart IMO. An eye with mild attention to detail will be able to see that $350 paint job cover up. Paying money to lose money/lower value to average buyer and to dealership. My advice: don't do it. Plasti-dip them black or whatever. I mean let's be honest, it's a Camry...it's literally not worth debadging it if it costs you more than like $5 for a thing GooGone or whatever.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Perhaps purchasing individual lettering set and having them painted to color match? Have the prep work done on the letters, and ask a Toyota body tech to shoot them with the left over paint the next time he finishes painting a Crystal Pearl Toyota? Then spot him a $20 or so?

I'm not overly keen how they badged the Camry lettering back there, but it's not horrible looking either, and something easily lived with.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Perhaps purchasing individual lettering set and having them painted to color match? Have the prep work done on the letters, and ask a Toyota body tech to shoot them with the left over paint the next time he finishes painting a Crystal Pearl Toyota? Then spot him a $20 or so?

I'm not overly keen how they badged the Camry lettering back there, but it's not horrible looking either, and something easily lived with.
This is very likely what I will do. I would be happy with glossy black lettering.

As for an aftermarket possibility - it's just a plastic strip for that section. I'm sure that at some point someone will make a replacement that will fit nicely. Paint matching won't be an issue for me, my uncle owns the paint shop that paints the PATRON Camry and has access to the factory color, pearl, and clear coat.

Just to be clear - my intent was just to see what it would cost. I don't really like any lettering on my cars, but it is what it is. Just never seen pins used for lettering before.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

Just never seen pins used for lettering before.
All the lettering on my '70 Dodge Challenger SE was pinned:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
We got the windows tinted Thurs. Too dirty to take a pic then, so cleaned her up today and snagged a couple pics... 30 in front, 20 the rest of the back.

Wifes thinking about getting the front redone with 20 also...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Today I did some lighting work. I installed the illuminated door sills (about 30 minutes total, no tools required), and I replaced the trunk light with two 12" white LED strips. The trunk has a small lip that I was able to secure the strips to, that prevents you from seeing the strips. Trunk is nice and bright now.
That's a nice mod to do. Really brightens up the trunk. Makes it look like a showcase lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Today I did some lighting work. I installed the illuminated door sills (about 30 minutes total, no tools required), and I replaced the trunk light with two 12" white LED strips. The trunk has a small lip that I was able to secure the strips to, that prevents you from seeing the strips. Trunk is nice and bright now.
Got any info on the parts and a how to? Would make a good post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics. I was wondering if the rear head rests were removable for proper car seat installation. Looks like I can check that box.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Came out okay. But I can tell I need to redo it. I think it’s too hot, too humid, and too dusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whoa, that looks really good with the XSE V6!

·
Registered
50 Posts
We got the windows tinted Thurs. Too dirty to take a pic then, so cleaned her up today and snagged a couple pics... 30 in front, 20 the rest of the back.

Wifes thinking about getting the front redone with 20 also...

Windshield also tinted 30?

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Today I added to it.

I installed a blue LED illuminated Dual USB Outlet for the back seat. I was very annoyed that I had to open the center box to let my daughter plug in her phone. Then... I added a 12" JBL sub and 450W amp to bring the stereo up to 1250 Watts and 10 speakers. I'll post pics tomorrow. Total install time was 4 hours (6 if you count interruptions). Two hardest parts were getting the 8 gauge power through the grommet in the firewall, and tapping the stock sub's audio feed.

21 - 40 of 1208 Posts