Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 4366 Posts

·
Oh, What a Feeling
265 Posts
Bought a brand new leather ES250 shifter on Ebay (thanks to Grego for telling me about it). Anyone know how to remove the O/D button from the old one?
With caution!!!!

I didn't quite know how to do it when I wanted to pull the wires through. I had to swap my nice chrome lever for a standard grey (well had too) because I lost the spring as it was easier to replace the knob/stick and renew stick bushes.

There is a very very tiny spring in there and make sure you pull it apart in a plastic bag otherwise you will loose that spring and never see it again. That's what gives that button the "spring" when you on/off OD and helps lock it into place.

When you take it apart, you'll see how it all goes back together - not hard but fiddly.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,295 Posts
Whaaaaaaat I'm jealous.

I looked into how I can move the 'Trac to where I live now. hint: It's gonna be expensive.
Does it require a ship? Or will a trailer suffice? ;)

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
~300 miles but it has a blown engine and I don't have a trailer big enough for it. I'll have to borrow a trailer and haul it back.

A ship will be involved not too far in the future, however, as I don't have any local halfcut importers. ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
A one way u-haul trailer rental is around $100 for a full flatbed trailer for an entire 24 hour period. The one where you just put the front tires on it is about $50. One way meaning you drop it off at a u-haul center around your final destination, not where you rented it from.

I just did this with an 88' SR5 4runner for a 100 mile trip. I found a steal of a bargain for it $1,250 with a blown engine, but great original paint, no body damage or rust, and great condition interior. I allowed my buddy to have first dibs on it for his son which he obviously jumped on. If I didn't have the upcoming camry project it would have been mine without a second blink of the eye.

·
Registered
Camry, Civic
2,782 Posts
if you want you can PM me your info and such and i can give you a quote. Just need a picking up location and a drop off location. Also an estimated Date of Move (rates change frequently).

an in town rate for a Tow Dolly is 44.95 and an in town for an Auto Transport is 69.95. these are for 24 horus and dropoff at dispatch location. if you can start the car, you can use either.

on topic i further resealed the trunk seam. need a body shop quote.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
if you want you can PM me your info and such and i can give you a quote. Just need a picking up location and a drop off location. Also an estimated Date of Move (rates change frequently).

an in town rate for a Tow Dolly is 44.95 and an in town for an Auto Transport is 69.95. these are for 24 horus and dropoff at dispatch location. if you can start the car, you can use either.

on topic i further resealed the trunk seam. need a body shop quote.
In town certainly doesn't apply here. ;)

Found somebody in my hometown who has a flatbed trailer I can borrow. I think my 5S will hold together for the ~30 seconds to drive it onto the trailer.

Now I just need to get my Tracker rebuilt so I can maybe beg my boss to let me use a bay in the shop for the Camry...

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Painted and installed the rear mud flap (thanks again to Grego!), nice to not have slop flinging all over the side of the car. Contemplating if I should paint the quarter panels myself or not.

·
Registered
Camry, Civic
2,782 Posts
thats a shame that you have flawless paint but got the cancer on it.

in addition to bleeding the clutch and doing new fluid today, i also just did some quick and awful body repair to fix that obnoxious water leak in the trunk. sprayed satin white from krylon. i plan to go to a body shop to have them fix the rear fenders floor pan and the trunk seam. i can do the fron fenders. i wnt this car to last a bit.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I found OEM carpeted floor mats and the original 1989 Owner's Guide and Supplement.

Floor mats are even maroon to match my interior. :thumbsup:

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
thats a shame that you have flawless paint but got the cancer on it.
Yep, but I'm not going to complain because the rest of the car is rust free as far as I can tell.
I found OEM carpeted floor mats and the original 1989 Owner's Guide and Supplement.

Floor mats are even maroon to match my interior. :thumbsup:
Nice find :thumbsup: I love the maroon interiors shame we never had them here. I found a pristine set of OEM mats awhile back but have not used them yet, don't want to wear them out I guess but what good are they if I don't use them. :disappoin Camry gen3/4 mats work well in these cars and are very plush. 1997-2001 ES300 mats are another good source and are at least as nice and don't have the fuel door/trunk area cut out like the Camry ones.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I love the maroon interiors shame we never had them here.
You don't even what to think of getting maroon over here. They have the worst crack dashboards I ever seen. Even in the junkyard. Ironically I grew up in a gray exterior and maroon interior camry. In winter it was cold and summer blazing hot, thanks to the seats which is cloth in the middle and some cheap leather on the sides. Really can burn your bottom off. About a 5in wide in crack in the middle of the dash.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,295 Posts
Over the weekend, I replaced my rear door switches, changed the rear diff fluid (was still pretty clean but still had a fair amount of metal on the drain plug...) and replaced the power steering pump. Power steering pump on the Alltrac is quite a hassle...

Also found my PCV grommet is cracked and leaking a bit of oil (3s-gte issues! :lol:)

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You don't even what to think of getting maroon over here. They have the worst crack dashboards I ever seen. Even in the junkyard. Ironically I grew up in a gray exterior and maroon interior camry. In winter it was cold and summer blazing hot, thanks to the seats which is cloth in the middle and some cheap leather on the sides. Really can burn your bottom off. About a 5in wide in crack in the middle of the dash.
daaaaaaaashmaaaaaaaaat.

O'Reilly Auto can get them. $20-70 depending on what kind. I'm going to get a replacement for my 'Trac, the one that's in there is an OEM unit and very badly shrunken.

·
Registered
Camry, Civic
2,782 Posts
i have noticed more maroon interiors with cracked, warping or stiff dash pads. makes me wonder if the color in the plastic vinyl ages faster than the blue gray etc.

changed the gear oil today. nice new valvoline 80W90.

checked my tires age. nothing like a dry rotting 7 year old tire :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'91 Camry Base MT
222 Posts
I replaced the bumper, grille, header panel, & drivers side headlight. And bent the crushed body work back into place as much as possible. All that so that I can get it to pass safety and emissions. As soon as I find a good one I'll get a replacement fender on the drivers side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
the last 2 mornings it has needed a jump start to get going. i took the morning off and looked at it after she got to work, and the neg terminal at the battery was worn out. it was tight, but i grabbed it and it slid right off the battery. no wonder it took the cables to start the engine. the jumper cables clamped it down and grounded it enough to start.

so i replaced it and it still had issues starting. turn the key and nothing. then it hit and started, and the solenoid stayed engaged. i ran under the hood and grabbed the starter relay and unplugged it and it let the solenoid disconnect.

the top came off the relay and guess what...............water had gotten in there and completely rusted the inside and all the contacts. it had also burnt the actual connection so bad there was a hole burnt through the contact switch. it looked like a set of points from an early 70s GM car lol

so i relocated the relay and it starts like a champ. i cant believe how sorry the OEM battery cables are on these cars.

total time of the repair, less than an hour. and it cost me a whopping 13 bucks for the new cable and relay. i guess i will replace the positive cable next week. since one took a dump, im sure the other isnt too far behind.

61 - 80 of 4366 Posts