Toyota Nation Forum banner
81 - 100 of 268 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
Replaced all 8 ignition coils. Got a cylinder 1 and 2 misfire the other day after cold start. Checked the freeze frame and saw everything looked normal (fuel trims, etc.).

Started it up a few times after that and got no issues, but wife said it happened more than once. I knew the plugs were good and assumed the injectors were good because I cleaned them not too long ago. I figured the 246K mile coils would be the likely culprit.

Bit the bullet and purchased 8 brand new OEM Denso coils from Rockauto. Saw the "OEM Toyota" coils on ebay and after further research, discovered they are all fakes unless they are at least $55 per coil and from a reputable seller/dealership.

Installed all 8 yesterday and it's crazy to say but it runs better than ever. What was also fixed was a slight stumble which was present at idle is now completely gone. Externally coils looked pretty good but considering this thing was a family hauler which sat in car lines and did tons of major highway trips over the 245K miles, they provided a good long life worth of service.

Reactions: jdgarza4
Discussion starter · #82 ·
Fixed the tailgate lock. During my last handle replacement, I snapped the lock ear off the license plate panel. Tried to find a similar color panel for the last several weeks with no luck. Had it secured with silicone but that eventually failed.

Today I took it all apart and used JB weld combined with an old radiator shroud insert which I ground down to a circle to secure it. Works good as new.

Also ordered a new 5.5V 4F capacitor for my dash cam. I replaced the old 5.5V 1.5F with a 1F which only lasted around 2 days before the camera would reset. Hoping this one will last a week or longer.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
Recently restored the headlights which were in dangerously bad condition. Also replaced the blown driving lights with LEDs. They look amazing now!

Also scored some new covers for the courtesy door lights. I lost 2 of them recently when replacing the bulbs.

Reactions: jdgarza4
I always liked these threads.

Post what you did to yours today!
After 239K miles I have finally had to replace something on my sequoia other than the usual wear and tear items - one of my ignition coils went out and I paid $90 for a Denso replacement at Napa. Back to running smooth as usual....experienced symptoms of tugging/jerking at startup (intermittently) and at speeds of 50-60 MPH, at first I thought it was the transmission.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Recently replaced the shifter in my 2005. It had some severe slop and research showed they are known to crack. Upon inspection, I found the old one appeared cracked at the top. After removing it (kind of a pain), I discovered the actual cause of the looseness was a disintegrated bushing for the cable. Ended up creating a new bushing by using an old transmission line plug I got with a radiator years ago. Feels completely new. Sort of wasted of $90 but whatever.

Also replaced my headlight and signal bulbs where I found my corner lights are toast. Currently looking for new lights.

Discussion starter · #88 ·
Replaced my severely cracked/broken corner lights on my 2005 with a set I got on Facebook.

Before:

After:

Today I hand buffed the rear quarter where some dumb ass crossed over the line and his mirror scraped against the side of my truck. I had to flag him down like he didn't even realize he hit me. 500 miles on the odometer and I was pissed. Pouring rain and I figured no harm no foul until I washed it today and there were the scrapes. After 45 minutes with meguires it's barely noticeable so there goes the cherry and onward with life...

Discussion starter · #95 ·
Replaced my standard autodimming mirror with a compass auto dimming mirror from a. ES330. Plug and play. I think the mirror also supports outside temp display but I haven't wired that in yet

Discussion starter · #96 ·
Replaced my old G1WC dash cam with a new Street Guardian 128GB model. It's a much nicer camera.

Discussion starter · #97 ·
Changed my rear liftgate struts. Used the strong arm versions after reading good reviews. They fixed the issue though they use significantly small shock bodies and pistons. Time will tell their longevity.

Just had this happen to me. Super scarry I was like man this is going to be expensive.

After 239K miles I have finally had to replace something on my sequoia other than the usual wear and tear items - one of my ignition coils went out and I paid $90 for a Denso replacement at Napa. Back to running smooth as usual....experienced symptoms of tugging/jerking at startup (intermittently) and at speeds of 50-60 MPH, at first I thought it was the transmission.

I am in the process of installing a JL Audio w6v2 with the stock headunit. I'll be back here.

81 - 100 of 268 Posts