Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Replaced all 8 ignition coils. Got a cylinder 1 and 2 misfire the other day after cold start. Checked the freeze frame and saw everything looked normal (fuel trims, etc.).

Started it up a few times after that and got no issues, but wife said it happened more than once. I knew the plugs were good and assumed the injectors were good because I cleaned them not too long ago. I figured the 246K mile coils would be the likely culprit.

Bit the bullet and purchased 8 brand new OEM Denso coils from Rockauto. Saw the "OEM Toyota" coils on ebay and after further research, discovered they are all fakes unless they are at least $55 per coil and from a reputable seller/dealership.

Installed all 8 yesterday and it's crazy to say but it runs better than ever. What was also fixed was a slight stumble which was present at idle is now completely gone. Externally coils looked pretty good but considering this thing was a family hauler which sat in car lines and did tons of major highway trips over the 245K miles, they provided a good long life worth of service.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Fixed the tailgate lock. During my last handle replacement, I snapped the lock ear off the license plate panel. Tried to find a similar color panel for the last several weeks with no luck. Had it secured with silicone but that eventually failed.

Today I took it all apart and used JB weld combined with an old radiator shroud insert which I ground down to a circle to secure it. Works good as new.

Also ordered a new 5.5V 4F capacitor for my dash cam. I replaced the old 5.5V 1.5F with a 1F which only lasted around 2 days before the camera would reset. Hoping this one will last a week or longer.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
41 Participants
hardtopte72
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing