Toyota Nation Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Got the new gaskets installed. They are much nicer than the 16 year old originals. So far so good and no leaks.

·
Registered
2006 Sequoia SR5 4x4
98 Posts
This week, upper ball joints and new tires. Also semi-fixed the aftermarket rear view camera system. Have to do the pretty installation of the new camera in the hatch, but the system works.

Sway bar end links done 10/18.
4 wheel alignment done 10/20

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
So a few days after installing new gaskets, I still got a leak. Angry, I took everything apart and pressed on.

I tried to remove and reseal the rack which didn't change anything. Then I considered i had a rust issue or hole under the drip rail. Used a hose to isolate the drip rail and sure enough it leaked.

I removed the drip rail and found the leak. Basically I had the panel bond/seam sealer wear away where the rear roof panel meets the upper portion of the rear door jamb. This caused a metal separation/gap and the water leak in the rear. There was also a tiny bit of surface looking rust.

It looks like it needs to be cleaned up, maybe a little welding, seam sealer, and paint.

I used some RTV as a temporary fix which you can see in the pics. That's where the issue is. As of right now, it doesn't leak. And it's in a place you can't really see it unless you are looking for it.

I'm probably going to try and have a body shop reseal it.

Auto part Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Vehicle door
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive exterior Wheel

·
Registered
2006 Sequoia SR5 4x4
98 Posts
Hello Sarge -- Would like to know a bit more about what you did there. Have the same problem with my '05 I just bought with 249K on the odometer!
There are dozens of codes. Scan the P and C codes and see what you get. Erase and scan often until you figure out the trend.

·
Registered
2006 Sequoia SR5 4x4
98 Posts
Thanks -- I got the P0071 and P0420 codes, not sure how to scan C codes. Will research. Merry Christmas!
C codes are Chassis codes. Basic scanners only do P [Powertrain] codes.

You should clean your MAF sensor; it can cause both of the codes you listed. Only use MAF cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I registered it, insured it, bought new Bosch Icon wipers, and 4 new Nexen A/T tires and put some grippy kitchen cabinet padding in middle console to shut things up inside.

·
Registered
2019 Sequoia TRD
170 Posts
Very cool. All the stock Toyota functions/settings can be accessed still? Reverse camera?
All the functions are retained in the steering wheel, with the larger screen it shows how crappy the factory camera is, I need to upgrade that, it's liveable but could be a lot clearer. Two thoughts after the first week, I opted for the non navigation version thinking Google Maps or Waze would be my go to navi and it works fine but is definately not the Garmin in my wife's Odyssey. Second I lost the screen in the middle that shows the compass and the street which I thought I would really miss because that was my default but I have it on the speed/range screen and it's ok. I would be interested to find out if someone went aftermarket with nav if that screen is retained. As far as the Alpine unit itself, the "gauge" function is pretty useless as is "car info", it has a lot more features that I need to figure out, Android Auto works fine but only with a cable, that's stupid, it ought to be standard bluetooth. I bought the adapter and kept the factory GPS and Sirius antennas. In the end I accomplished what I wanted, a decent size screen, and Sirius showing the actual album covers of what's playing instead of the stupid artist pic that the factory entune showed. If I would change anything, I would have spent a bit more and gotten factory nav. That may be a future upgrade but I think speakers is my next addition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lower ball joints
Tie rods
Upper passenger side just did upper drivers a month ago
Tomorrow OME nitro charge 90004 and 2885 springs with new top hats and insulators

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought it.

2015 Platinum. Definitely going to stay a pavement princess/grocery getter since it's the wife's truck and family vehicle with baby #2 on the way. I'm particularly excited because as nice as it is (and man is it ever nice), it means that my Tacoma is now the smaller of the two, and I have more freedom to do to it whatever I please without having to worry about it staying the main vehicle for moving the whole family around.

·
Registered
2019 Sequoia TRD
170 Posts
Bought it.

2015 Platinum. Definitely going to stay a pavement princess/grocery getter since it's the wife's truck and family vehicle with baby #2 on the way. I'm particularly excited because as nice as it is (and man is it ever nice), it means that my Tacoma is now the smaller of the two, and I have more freedom to do to it whatever I please without having to worry about it staying the main vehicle for moving the whole family around.

NICE!!

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
For the last 3 or so years, I've had an oil leak from the top of the engine. I was initially sure the valve covers were solely responsible, but after replacing them I began to think it was the cam seals. Since cam seal replacement is such a major job (requires camshaft removal), I put it off.

Well a few weeks ago I began to have another look when I saw the leak was still covering the valve covers near the front of the engine. Upon closer inspection the leak became obvious. It was my VVT-I solenoid o-rings. I knew this to be a common leak, especially on 3URFE/3URFBE, and completely overlooked it.

Did some online shopping and got the o-rings at one of my local dealers (toyotapartsoverstock.com / Lakeland Toyota). Got them in the mail today and installed them. The job is very easy, albeit I broke both the locking tabs on the DBW throttle connector and both solenoids.

Upon removing both solenoids, I found both o-rings were rock hard and had turned into plastic. I had to break both off the solenoids using a pick. Cleaned the bore and sealing surface before lubing the o-ring and reinstalling. I will clean the engine in a few days, however I'm confident that was the leak all along and my cam seals are not leaking.

Here are the photos.

Wood Font Wall Circle Tints and shades
Automotive tire Gesture Finger Wood Rim
Wood Font Automotive tire Tints and shades Gas
Automotive tire Cylinder Tool Gas Wood
Finger Gas Gun accessory Auto part Thumb
Font Wall Material property Gas Number

121 - 140 of 178 Posts