Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1539 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just went back and looked at the vehicle spec sheets I got from two separate dealerships again. It is actually the same VIN, but one sheet shows it with the appliqué and the other shows it without. I wonder how this is since these are the build sheets Toyota puts out weeks in advance of production. How can a car be built both with and without an option? Unless it's like you said, someone at the dealership went in there and changed it in Toyota's production system.

·
straight cash homie
18,849 Posts
I just went back and looked at the vehicle spec sheets I got from two separate dealerships again. It is actually the same VIN, but one sheet shows it with the appliqué and the other shows it without. I wonder how this is since these are the build sheets Toyota puts out weeks in advance of production. How can a car be built both with and without an option? Unless it's like you said, someone at the dealership went in there and changed it in Toyota's production system.
The applique is a PIO/PPO and are considered accessory items, meaning its installed after the car is assembled whereas the Driver Assist Package, Navigation Package are factory options that much be specified when the vehicle is in production.

PIOs are the floor mats, applique, cargo net, alarm and what not. You can change these even as the vehicle is being built. You told your dealer what options you specifically wanted and not wanted, and they did change the build of the vehicle with Toyota through the system configurator to exactly as you said. This way, you avoid any dealer add on options that you may not have wanted.

That was what I did with my Corolla, though it was already in production with the options that I would have wanted anyway (moonroof, JBL, no leather option), I made sure that it had the right PPO/PIOs in the build sheet (All weather mats, RS3200 alarm, bumper applique that is plastic rather than the new one they have on now).

If you want Toyota accessories, best to order them WITH the car, rather than have the dealer install it because their costs are more since they need to charge for labor...whatever CamRod said about PPOs, I don't think he understands that you pay less this way rather than to pay the dealer to install it (that's middleman).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I am used to the Honda way of special ordering a car, in which you can't, as they choose how the cars are speced and delivered to dealers, and the only way to get what you want is for your dealer to do a trade and drive it in.

·
straight cash homie
18,849 Posts
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I am used to the Honda way of special ordering a car, in which you can't, as they choose how the cars are speced and delivered to dealers, and the only way to get what you want is for your dealer to do a trade and drive it in.
Honestly, Toyota is going the way of Honda and many others since more ways to option a car means increased costs. Yes, Honda's are way more structured in that their options and only give you one or two major options like Honda Sensing, leather and/or Navigation as other ways to build a particular car. Before, Toyota used to have most of their options as freestanding, but with increased production costs, it isn't possible anymore.

Ford is still the only other one that offers some degree of customization, but most of the mainstream makers offer a lot less unfortunately. I just missed the days when you could build a weirdly configured Toyotas that most dealers would not have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ours was stickered at 28.8 and we got them to give us 2k off MSRP.

We tried using the Costco Car buying program at one dealer, (further away) and got the quote from him. Took that to our local and he basically matched it - but said they shouldn't be able to give that yet on the 18's. He said they couldnt do the 18's yet on any of the buying programs (USAA, TrueCar, etc). Also said that dealer was known for saying anything to get anyone in the door. But, who knows who's telling the full truth with car sales. lol. Good news was we ended up being good friends with the sales managers sister/bro in law, so i felt he was a little less shady after that.

We got the 2018 SE model, loaded with the sunroof, tech package, etc. Also had all weather floor mats. Let me know if you need more detail.

·
straight cash homie
18,849 Posts
Ours was stickered at 28.8 and we got them to give us 2k off MSRP.

We tried using the Costco Car buying program at one dealer, (further away) and got the quote from him. Took that to our local and he basically matched it - but said they shouldn't be able to give that yet on the 18's. He said they couldnt do the 18's yet on any of the buying programs (USAA, TrueCar, etc). Also said that dealer was known for saying anything to get anyone in the door. But, who knows who's telling the full truth with car sales. lol. Good news was we ended up being good friends with the sales managers sister/bro in law, so i felt he was a little less shady after that.

We got the 2018 SE model, loaded with the sunroof, tech package, etc. Also had all weather floor mats. Let me know if you need more detail.
I saw in the other thread, the Camry came from Modesto Toyota? What other dealers in the Valley did you try? Fresno or Stockton?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw in the other thread, the Camry came from Modesto Toyota? What other dealers in the Valley did you try? Fresno or Stockton?
We hit up Merced (via Costco car buying program), which emailed us the $2k off deal that no one would touch initially. Tracy matched it, and said they'd deliver, but the sales lady was pretty rude at times. Modesto matched it, and was super nice the whole time, plus they do 2 years full services/road side assistance. We did 95% of the negotiations over text. Was pretty nice actually!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi

I went onto this link https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/build-price/camry and I saw the prices of the Camry. OMG! It is overpriced! I see one for Camry XSE V6 @ $39,690 CDN, with taxes and everything will be 46931.73!! That is more expensive than getting Tesla 3! In Ontario, we get $14,000 rebate on Tesla!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I went onto this link https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/build-price/camry and I saw the prices of the Camry. OMG! It is overpriced! I see one for Camry XSE V6 @ $39,690 CDN, with taxes and everything will be 46931.73!! That is more expensive than getting Tesla 3! In Ontario, we get $14,000 rebate on Tesla!
I know, its ridiculous how expensive it is.. when i bought my 2012 SE V6 (Top of the line at the time).. i got it for $29k, $35K cdn with tax, 6 years later, the top of the line car is now approx $11k more.... I might be keeping my 2012 for a long time and hoping there are alot of price reductions/incentives coming in the near future..

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
I know, its ridiculous how expensive it is.. when i bought my 2012 SE V6 (Top of the line at the time).. i got it for $29k, $35K cdn with tax, 6 years later, the top of the line car is now approx $11k more.... I might be keeping my 2012 for a long time and hoping there are alot of price reductions/incentives coming in the near future..
These new prices don't mean pretty much anything and will be offset by discounts. As soon as rebates and discounts start rolling the 2018 would cost no more than competitors and older generations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking to replace wife's 2012 Camry XLE with 74k miles. This dealer offer $8,500 trade-in. Wonder if this is a good deal or should I wait

Year:2018
4 or 6 cylinder engine: 4
Your city and state: Binghamton NY
Trim (i.e. LE, XLE, XSE, Hybrid, etc.):XLE wind chill
Price before Tax Title License (TTL):$32,773 (Panoramic Roof ,All Weather Floor Liners & Cargo Tray Package, rear Bumper Applique and driver assist package)
Down Payment:
Price Out The Door (OTD): $29,920 before taxes and reg, includes document fees
Dealer Name (Optional):
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras (e.g. extended warranty, spoiler, body kit, pin stripe, nitrogen in the tires (lol).... etc.): none
One Picture: currently looking

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looking to replace wife's 2012 Camry XLE with 74k miles. This dealer offer $8,500 trade-in. Wonder if this is a good deal or should I wait

Year:2018
4 or 6 cylinder engine: 4
Your city and state: Binghamton NY
Trim (i.e. LE, XLE, XSE, Hybrid, etc.):XLE wind chill
Price before Tax Title License (TTL):$32,773 (Panoramic Roof ,All Weather Floor Liners & Cargo Tray Package, rear Bumper Applique and driver assist package)
Down Payment:
Price Out The Door (OTD): $29,920 before taxes and reg, includes document fees
Dealer Name (Optional):
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras (e.g. extended warranty, spoiler, body kit, pin stripe, nitrogen in the tires (lol).... etc.): none
One Picture: currently looking
Looks good to me. The invoice on that car as configured is $29,737, so you're about $200 over that, which is what I ordered my XSE V6 at. Anything less than that and you're going to cut into the dealer's holdback money which they aren't going to do since the car is too new.

·
Registered
339 Posts
NADA shows $10.8, clean and $10K average, $8800 rough.
The dealer I worked with would not use NADA or Edmunds for calculating trade-in. They would only use KBB. If you read about NADA, you learn that their prices are inflated since they calculate their prices a different way than KBB. Also too, I forgot to mention the $1000 loyalty cash on the XLE. I believe that promotion has ended, but I would ask the dealer if that is still available. I'm thinking they might try to pull a fast one and try to pocket the money for themselves.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dealer I worked with would not use NADA or Edmunds for calculating trade-in. They would only use KBB. If you read about NADA, you learn that their prices are inflated since they calculate their prices a different way than KBB. Also too, I forgot to mention the $1000 loyalty cash on the XLE. I believe that promotion has ended, but I would ask the dealer if that is still available. I'm thinking they might try to pull a fast one and try to pocket the money for themselves.
Thanks that rebate is good until 09.05.2017 I will check and see what happen to that.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
When I was in car used sales and as many times I bought a car, we always went by NADA. They prefer to use KBB cuz it makes them more $$$.
KBB (who is this Kelley? :) ) uses information from local car auctions. NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) uses actual retail data provided by local dealers.
Sometimes, depending on the location and make/model, KBB shows the higher values, in that case you better go by KBB. As a rule, check both books and go by the highest one.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
When I was in car used sales and as many times I bought a car, we always went by NADA. They prefer to use KBB cuz it makes them more $$$.
KBB (who is this Kelley? :) ) uses information from local car auctions. NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) uses actual retail data provided by local dealers.
Sometimes, depending on the location and make/model, KBB shows the higher values, in that case you better go by KBB. As a rule, check both books and go by the highest one.
ExactlY. Only reason why the dealer is saying they won't use one of them is because that one is the higher one for the customer :lol:

21 - 40 of 1539 Posts