Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1590 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Get a second opinion from a CarMax free appraisal.

You should never negotiate a trade in when trying to buy a new car. Make a deal then say 'oh by the way I have this ....'
+1. Always negotiate the price of the new car first and then bring up the trade-in. Notice how I said "price," not payments. I think I did alright for my trade-in. I was initially offered $9,000 for my 2012 Camry SE V6 with 83,500 miles. I got them to bump it up to $10,000 but then they dinged me $600 for new tires and a windshield. I then found out my friend is interested in it for his wife, so hopefully I'll get to sell it to him for $10,000 since that will cover the tax hit I would take by not trading it in on the new car, and that will keep the dealer from making $3-4K profit on it. BTW, a dealer around here uses the NADA values with red X's across them to show what "savings" you get by buying used cars from them at their "low" prices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my price before telling them I was trading in a vehicle. Went through Kelly Blue Book on another dealer that had questions on imperfections which I answer truthfully value came in at $9,113. Car Max would be good closest to me is 3 to 4 hours away.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
+1. Always negotiate the price of the new car first and then bring up the trade-in. Notice how I said "price," not payments. I think I did alright for my trade-in. I was initially offered $9,000 for my 2012 Camry SE V6 with 83,500 miles. I got them to bump it up to $10,000 but then they dinged me $600 for new tires and a windshield. I then found out my friend is interested in it for his wife, so hopefully I'll get to sell it to him for $10,000 since that will cover the tax hit I would take by not trading it in on the new car, and that will keep the dealer from making $3-4K profit on it. BTW, a dealer around here uses the NADA values with red X's across them to show what "savings" you get by buying used cars from them at their "low" prices.
It doesn't really matter when you gonna tell them about your trade in. It's actually easier and quicker to get a good trade in value at the beginning of the negotiation and then work a new car price down. Let them run your credit and mention cash down if you are not planning to add any- when a dealer knows that you can buy and financed they are hooked and there is no easy way for them out of this deal.
Also the payment game can be played to your advantage: know your credit score, calculate monthly payments based on the price you want +TTL minus trade in and cash, drop them $20 and go up by $2-3 at the time and having your mean wife telling you that these payment already higher than you can afford and this purchase is going to ruin your budget helps too. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will probably move on this in the next couple days. I don't think I'll get a better deal waiting until year-end I have a buddy who is also interested in the same car and the salesman said I can get a slightly better package deal. This is in the SouthEast. I can share who a little later. Predawn Mica XSE V6.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Will probably move on this in the next couple days. I don't think I'll get a better deal waiting until year-end I have a buddy who is also interested in the same car and the salesman said I can get a slightly better package deal. This is in the SouthEast. I can share who a little later. Predawn Mica XSE V6.
Is that price around $2000 under invoice? What discounts did you qualify for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Year: 2018
Engine: V6
Where: San Jose CA
Trim: XSE V6
Color: White (Wind Chill Pearl)
Price: Invoice +1000
Dealer: Victory Toyota (Monterey)

Included Options:

Bird's Eye View (1050)
Nav/3.0/JBL Package (940)
All Weather Floor Liners/Cargo Tray (254)
Protection Package (268)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I qualify for owner loyalty, but he said he would give me the other incentives I don't qualify for. Assuming college grad etc. Also a discount for financing through Toyota.
Yeah, I was going to say that price seemed too good to be true. The only other rebates besides the $500/$1000 loyalty cash are $750 for college grads and $1000 for military appreciation. Hopefully your dealership doesn't get audited by SET or Toyota for giving away those other rebates if you don't officially qualify. At least it's their butt on the line, not yours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say that price seemed too good to be true. The only other rebates besides the $500/$1000 loyalty cash are $750 for college grads and $1000 for military appreciation. Hopefully your dealership doesn't get audited by SET or Toyota for giving away those other rebates if you don't officially qualify. At least it's their butt on the line, not yours.
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like I better go ahead and put the deposit down in the morning. :smile:

·
straight cash homie
18,958 Posts
It will be interesting to see where the prices will go. Honestly, for the current gen Camry, they've been giving them away at prices never seen before.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It will be interesting to see where the prices will go. Honestly, for the current gen Camry, they've been giving them away at prices never seen before.
I think the 2018s will hover around invoice for the time being, barring any incentives. As for the 2017s, even my sales guy was shocked at how much they are being discounted, but there are still a ton sitting around on dealer lots. Toyota is offering $249 a month for 36 month leases with $0 down on 2017 SE's, 0% financing for 72 months and $500 cash back, or $3000 cash back on the rest of the 2017 models.

·
Toyota Ninja
169 Posts
Anyone in the Denver auto region? I'm in Arizona and found out we are part of the Denver auto distribution and having a hell of a time getting the XSE. I was going to do the paperwork on a car windchill white with red leather interior tonight until I was told totmyota corporate put a hold on all sales on the XSE for my region.
I'll post the price I got tomorrow if I can get the paperwork signed, so far I'm a few hundred below invoice.

·
straight cash homie
18,958 Posts
I think the 2018s will hover around invoice for the time being, barring any incentives. As for the 2017s, even my sales guy was shocked at how much they are being discounted, but there are still a ton sitting around on dealer lots. Toyota is offering $249 a month for 36 month leases with $0 down on 2017 SE's, 0% financing for 72 months and $500 cash back, or $3000 cash back on the rest of the 2017 models.
Well, that crossover trend is real, so every dealer is doing what they can to sell those "old" Camrys off. OTOH, RAV4s are now the best selling vehicles for the company, and there's a $2000 rebate on it.

Yeah, the best deals now are on Camry SEs, with $3000 back. I'm currently renting a 2017 SE built just this June 2017. I suppose by now Toyota has finished building MY17s and gone all in 18s.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia
58 Posts
Just got a quote 31,607. MSRP is 33,607 from merced ca toyota. I could probably get it lower because I don't care for the appearance and all weather liner. Also another dealer offer was 33,218. All price are not OTD.
Engine: 2.5 4cyl
Model: 2018 camry xse
Color: wind chill pearl/ black
Option:
Panoramic moonroof: 1045.00
special color: 395.00
appearance package: 343.00
all weather floor liner: 254.00
Fee:
delivery processing fee: 895.00

·
Registered
23 Posts
As for the 2017s, even my sales guy was shocked at how much they are being discounted, but there are still a ton sitting around on dealer lots. Toyota is offering $249 a month for 36 month leases with $0 down on 2017 SE's, 0% financing for 72 months and $500 cash back, or $3000 cash back on the rest of the 2017 models.
Very little activity over at the edmunds site for most sedans, esp. Camry...surprising with all the discounts

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussions/tagged/toyota/camry

·
Registered
38 Posts
I spent a few hours today trying to trade in my 20,000 mile kbb excellent condition 2015 SE, still under warranty. $11,800 or some such nonsense figure. Seems like they also just hit a wall at $2000 under MSRP on LE and LXE's I was looking at, no one would even think about lower than that. The sales people told me they are selling brand new 2017's off the lot for around $17,000 OTD, so they basically didn't want or need my shiny happy 2015. Was really liking the new 2018, but I wasn't about to turn over my 20k 2015 SE + $11,000 for an LE...just didn't feel good about it.

When should we expect 2018's to sell like normal cars...I have never paid above invoice for a car in my life.

Paul

41 - 60 of 1590 Posts