Toyota Nation Forum banner

What did you pay for your Camry (Gen 8)?

752K views 2K replies 629 participants last post by  goin2drt 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured let's get this started for the new Gen 8. I know many including myself will be interested in this and to see if dealers try to mark them up or not. Invoice/MSRP pricing attached below. With the list below, please post one picture with it. :)

Please copy and paste list:

Year:
4 or 6 cylinder engine:
Your city and state:
Trim (i.e. LE, XLE, XSE, Hybrid, etc.):
Price before Tax Title License (TTL):
Down Payment:
Price Out The Door (OTD):
Dealer Name (Optional):
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras (e.g. extended warranty, spoiler, body kit, pin stripe, nitrogen in the tires (lol).... etc.):
One Picture:

Attachments

See less See more
#240 ·
It's as " broad as it's long "

You can crunch numbers for actual price or try OTD method?

Example: 2015 XSE minus tech package.

Selling price, includes destination 29,389
Doc fee 449.95 (no cap and pure profit)
Rockledge theft 199.00 (profit)
Total tax selling price 30,038
Tax 2,433
Titling fee 28.25 (profit)
Optional fees or charges
A. 0
B. 0
C.0
D.0
E.0
F.0
Total cash sales price 32,500
Manufacturers rebate -1000.00
OTD 31,500

MSRP WAS 34K ON 2015 and my numbers were like 30,900 OTD using invoice on everything installed minus hold back plus 5% profit.

Always money to be had on the table, but it's your time.

#244 ·
Let me know if this isn't the place to post this info. This is what's happening in the PA/NJ/DE area:

A NJ dealer contacted me on the XSE V6 (Predawn Gray Mica/Black). MSRP was $38,358. The Internet Sales dude said they are pricing them at $1500 over dealer invoice ($35,586) with a quoted price of $37,086 ($1,200 off MSRP). Hope this is helpful in the hunt.

#250 ·
2018 Camry Hybrid XLE

MSRP was $37800
Negotiated price before taxes/tags was $35200
Also received $1000 loyalty cash (prior 2012 Camry was hit from behind last week and totaled)
Also received $750 recent college grad rebate.

Total was $35000 + MD Taxes/Tags - $1750 (I don't have the exact amount total) .... ultimately we got about $4250 off the MSRP price with negotiations and the TFS rebates. We took the 1.9% Toyota financing for 5 years to get the $1750

Bought in Baltimore, MD

Camry Hybrid XLE with ALL available options (ie; audio package, adaptive headlights, driver package). Also had door edge guards, carpet and all-weather floormats and trunk mats (2 set total for all). Color is Predawn Gray with Ash Interior.

Unfortunately the highest audio package includes GPS Scout - no way to get the Premium audio with built-in Navigation for a Hybrid - not an option. That is my only disappointment.

#255 ·
2018 Camry Hybrid LE

Year: 2018
4 or 6 cylinder engine: Hybrid
Your city and state: Pittsburgh, PA
Trim (i.e. LE, XLE, XSE, Hybrid, etc.): Hybrid, LE
Price before Tax Title License (TTL): 27,333
Down Payment: 500
Dealer Name (Optional): Kenny Ross Toyota
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras: price paid includes upgrade to Ruby Flame color $400

The car arrived last week, about 2 weeks after the expected delivery date. Beautiful and wonderful to drive. After 100 miles of driving, average mpg in city driving: 45 mpg.

- John

#256 · (Edited)
My hunt is over...

So.......I was headed to Sloan Philadelphia to talk about a Black/Red XSE V6. Before I could arrive, the Internet sales rep texts me and says their sister location (Sloane Glenside, the one that changed their original discount after the car arrived) had the car but was not going to release it. At that point, I turned to head home and thought I might as well go on and order one for an October arrival even though I might miss the 0.9% financing incentive. I was willing to take that risk.

Got home and grabbed my PC just to see if anything else was out there since cars seem to be arriving daily and inventories changing quickly. Lo and behold, I checked a dealer out in the county and there was only one XSE V6 listed. I promptly sent a pricing request and ten minutes later my phone rings. It's the dealership and the conversation goes quickly:

Her: "Thanks for contacting blah blah blah blah blah..."
Me: "No problem. yes, I'm interested in this Camry. Is the car available?"
Her: "Yes, it just arrived on the lot."
Me: (Heart is now pounding) "Is anyone looking at it today?"
Her: "As far as I know, no. Would you like to come take a look at it?"
Me: (Deeeeeeeep breaths) "Sure would. What is your quote?"
Her: Taptaptaptaptaptap "It's $35......"
Me: (Time warp slows time) "Please send me the quote. You close at 9PM? I can get to you 7-ish."
Her: "See you then..."

Mind you, it's now rush hour, it is POURING rain and everyone has forgotten how to drive. I can't speed at all but my out-of-body experience has given me foresight and I see every traffic light, slow moving vehicle and pothole all the way up to the dealer. My friend is riding with me and luckily, her conversation kept me from exploding. By 6:30, however, we arrive and a salesman meets me at the door. After introductions (he already had my info), we take a look at the car, parked nicely outside of what appears to be a display garage. The car is DRY, though and the lights from heaven (okay, the high intensity LED lights they were using) had the car lit up bright. With all in place, it was time to do the deal.

Your city and state: Philadelphia, Pa Metro Area (PA, NJ, DE)
Trim (i.e. LE, XLE, XSE, Hybrid, etc.): XSE
Engine: V6
MSRP: $38,678
Internet Price: $35,852
Toyota Owner Loyalty: $1,000
Price before Tax Title License (TTL): $34,852
OTD: $37,786 including 6/100,000 extended warranty for $900 and Wheel & Tire Package for $395 (worth it in Philly), 0.9% financing
Dealer Name (Optional): Peruzzi Toyota
Exterior: Wind Chill Pearl
Interior: Cockpit Red
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras: Navigation Upgrade, Protection Package, All-weather floor mats

All-in-all, it was a fun and interesting process and I got what I wanted. Happy 50th Birthday to me!!!

#257 ·
So.......I was headed to Sloan Philadelphia to talk about a Black/Red XSE V6. Before I could arrive, the Internet sales rep texts me and says their sister location (Sloane Glenside, the one that changed their original discount after the car arrived) had the car but was not going to release it. At that point, I turned to head home and thought I might as well go on and order one for an October arrival even though I might miss the 0.9% financing incentive. I was willing to take that risk.

Got home and grabbed my PC just to see if anything else was out there since cars seem to be arriving daily and inventories changing quickly. Lo and behold, I checked a dealer out in the county and there was only one XSE V6 listed. I promptly sent a pricing request and ten minutes later my phone rings. It's the dealership and the conversation goes quickly:

Her: "Thanks for contacting blah blah blah blah blah..."
Me: "No problem. yes, I'm interested in this Camry. Is the car available?"
Her: "Yes, it just arrived on the lot."
Me: (Heart is now pounding) "Is anyone looking at it today?"
Her: "As far as I know, no. Would you like to come take a look at it?"
Me: (Deeeeeeeep breaths) "Sure would. What is your quote?"
Her: Taptaptaptaptaptap "It's $35......"
Me: (Time warp slows time) "Please send me the quote. You close at 9PM? I can get to you 7-ish."
Her: "See you then..."

Mind you, it's now rush hour, it is POURING rain and everyone has forgotten how to drive. I can't speed at all but my out-of-body experience has given me foresight and I see every traffic light, slow moving vehicle and pothole all the way up to the dealer. My friend is riding with me and luckily, her conversation kept me from exploding. By 6:30, however, we arrive and a salesman meets me at the door. After introductions (he already had my info), we take a look at the car, parked nicely outside of what appears to be a display garage. The car is DRY, though and the lights from heaven (okay, the high intensity LED lights they were using) had the car lit up bright. With all in place, it was time to do the deal.

Your city and state: Philadelphia, Pa Metro Area (PA, NJ, DE)
Engine: V6
MSRP: $38,678
Internet Price: $35,852
Toyota Owner Loyalty: $1,000
Price before Tax Title License (TTL): $34,852
OTD: $37,786 including 6/100,000 extended warranty for $900 and Wheel & Tire Package for $395 (worth it in Philly), 0.9% financing
Dealer Name (Optional): Peruzzi Toyota
Interior: Cockpit Red
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras: Navigation Upgrade, Protection Package, All-weather floor mats

All-in-all, it was a fun and interesting process and I got what I wanted. Happy 50th Birthday to me!!!
Congrats! Glad you were finally able to find a dealer willing to deal.

#272 ·
Postscript...

Remember Dealer #2 Sloane Glenside, the dealer that changed their price point from $1000 off MSRP before the car arrived to only $500 off when it hit the lot because the car was "going to get sold Labor Day weekend and they were keeping tight to the MSRP" (not that EITHER price point was acceptable)?

[Phone rings] "This is Jay..."
RT: "Good morning. This is R. My GM wanted me to call you to see if you are still interested in the XSE V6."
Me: "Nope. I'm good. I took care of it."
RT: "You got the car spec'd like you wanted?"
Me: (gleeful exuberance with a healthy dose of petty) "Yep, fully Loaded Wind Chill Pearl with Cockpit Red interior. Your G.M. BLEW this BIG TIME."
RT: "Yeah, I knew that was going to happen."
Me: "No offense...you tried to make it work. What he did left a bad taste in my wallet. Peruzzi made it happen quickly. It's a wonderful car, too".
RT: (resignation in his voice) "Yeah, I know."
Me. "Good luck with your V6. I'm sure someone will grab it soon..."

This was one of those priceless car buying moments they will remember for a long time. When you have a motivated buyer with everything in order, WORK with them, don't chase them away with some BS sales tactic moves.

Many of us are much better educated in this process, even when we might not know all the intricacies. If it wasn't for Toyota Nation, they'd have gotten me, too so I offer a big round of thanks to everyone who is participating to our collective body of knowledge....

#275 ·
I've financed one new car through dealership ... then soon after got a refinance loan with trusted CU or Bank and paid her off at a better rate.

Even with 0% financing the dealership profit margin is working against you with other numbers as well as a trade in.

I never put any of my skin in the game as down payment or taxes when I purchase a new car, instead, I purchase gap insurance to offset cost of my payment in the inevitable totaling of a crash.

Never crunshed numbers on bennifits or LIMFACs of doing it this way, but USAA has taken care of me since '93

#277 · (Edited)
JayAvalon: got you beat. On Friday I dropped by a Toyota dealer with a good reputation. Did the usual look see of an XLE V6 with a sticker price of $37560 or so. They offered to to run some numbers so I said "why not". That's when the fun started. They lowballed the trade on my 2015 Camry XLE V6 in excellent shape with only 17, 600 miles on it, by at least $2500 and then gave me an estimate based on the sticker price with a monthly payment well beyond what I told them was my maximum. I told them again that I wasn't buying a car based on one look. The sales manager then says what if someone came in right now and offered you $xxxx for my Camry (3k more than their offer) would I consider buying the car. I said no but in my mind it confirmed the ridiculous first trade in offer they had made. Then I got the old "we only have two of these cars on the lot, blah, blah. I told them that given the relative scarcity of the V6 models they would have no trouble selling them. I left it at that but said they could periodically check with me. Well the next day I went to the dealer's web site and low and behold the lowest internet price of the car was $34,000, a $3500 decrease. I'm just waiting for them to call me. It's gonna be an interesting conversation.

#278 · (Edited)
wife's 2015 Camry XLE 4-cyl. was purchased with 0% finance 60-months + various incentives + wheeling & dealing. in my area (NY/NJ), current offers are 0.9% for 60 months on 2018's, and 0.0% for 72 months + $3,000 cash back. depending on how sales of the 2018 Camry pans out over the coming months (and given how the sedan market is decreasing), I would expect that strong financing deals (in the customer's favor) will continue. once the 2017's are cleared out, perhaps 0.0% on the 2018's. Toyota does their annual Toyotathon in December.

P.S. - just spotted at FB (maybe unique to my area) a Camry 2018 promotion $1,000 loyalty cash offer.

#281 ·
I think that the loyalty cash will probably end either on 10/2 or at the end of the next incentive cycle. Then, you will probably see either 0% financing or cash back which will not be able to be combined. That is how the 2015-2017 Camrys were incentivized until the very end. Even now, the 2017 will get you $3000 cash back only or 0% financing and $500 cash back.

#282 ·
If you are looking for a 2018 you better wait another month-month and a half. I spoke to a large Toyota dealership manager Saturday and he said that the 2017 inventory is discounted so much because Toyota wants the 2017's gone asap (which is absolutely normal) and that despite very high expectations "on top", so far the 2018 drew practically no interest and its sales is very slow and as soon as the 2017's are gone, Toyota will loosen up the 2018 discounts to boost the sales bring more attention to the 2018.

Reactions: Unltd1487
#283 · (Edited)
@mosh49
I don't see anything wrong besides them feeling out how serious you were as a buyer. I'll explain.

First-
Never negotiate by monthly price. When they ask how much are you looking to spend per month, never give them an amount. Especially not a real amount. I will either laugh it off and say something like "well I don't WANT to pay anything per month" or if I'm looking to buy quickly and don't care to be too nice I'll just tell them straight up I don't care about the monthly, I care about the purchase price.

Second-
That "payment" sheet is nothing more than a starting point. That's all. They low balled your trade-in and brought you the numbers for the new one at list. They have started the negotiations. Again, nothing more, nothing less. This is where you rely on your reaearch and all the background work you've done to give them prices back. The numbers you go back with are $500 more on your trade than you're looking to get for trade in and $500 less than what you are willing to pay on the new vehicle you're looking to buy. Or, tackle them 1 at a time (this is preferable). They come back with something else, saying whoa you're way out of the ballpark. You hit them back with the numbers it takes to make the deal. You know these prices are good because you've done the research. When they come back to tell you they can't do those numbers, you walk out. Negotiation over. OR, they do the deal and you move to the paperwork.

All this is if you're going into the dealership to negotiate. I would recommend against going in to negotiate. But it can be done effectively if done in this way (or a number of others).

But they werent trying to "screw" you. They were starting the conversation. Negotiating up $3k on trade-in value on a Camry is par for the course. And if they brought you the new car on the form $500 or $1k under list, it doesn't amount to anything different than them listing sticker on the form the first time. You're not taking the first or second or third offer from the dealer. You're controlling the negotiation. The DEALER is taking YOUR price. Keep that in mind. You have the money. You have the power. Or well...you have the signature, you have the power. You know what I mean ;)

Just FYI. Hope this helps.

#284 ·
@mosh49
I don't see anything wrong besides them feeling out how serious you were as a buyer.
Maybe, maybe not. You had to be there. The other thing was that when I asked the sales manager if they finance through Toyota Financial, he hemmed and hawed. Seems he forgot that on the 2018 Camry V6s, Toyota is offering 0.9% on anything short of a 72 month loan. It's not so much "negotiating" as it is little things that you pick up in the course of the initial conversation. Since I haven't decided whether trading my 2015 for a 2018 is worth it we'll see what happens.

#289 · (Edited)
You'd have to get financing from a bank or some other institution if you took the cash. Rates are in the high 2s to low 4s right now. Toyota wants to sell cars, that's why they can offer such low rates. Banks don't really want to be involved with the process which is why you pay higher rates through them. You'd have to do the math to see how much of the interest you'd pay would be offset by the cash back.

#291 ·
I second what molson said. A lot of times, its actually cheaper to take cash, but all depends on the exact situation.

When I was buying my truck, 2.9% was the best/special rate through TFS. There was a $750 rebate if you didn't take the "special" TFS finance rate. When I was going through the finance office, I had the person run through the different major banks they write to in order to see other rates. Just a standard bank was doing 2.7%, which is lower than the 2.9% through TFS. So I ended up with better financing than the special rate through a non-TFS lender, and since it wasn't through TFS I was able to get the $750 rebate. The TFS special rates on Camry will always be lower than that. Doesn't quite relate to a Camry because a standard bank probably won't be doing 0.9% or 1.9% (or 0%!) like TFS does on the Camry all the time. But moral of the story is depending on the cash rebate and what you qualify for it could be better. I got prequalified before I went to the dealer and then when I was there had them check the banks they write to because they can check multiple banks super quick. Added benefit to the dealer in my case was the bank that beat TFS special rate paid the dealership a % amount of the sale, not a flat rate like TFS pays the dealership.

Reactions: Daihatsu Camry
#294 ·
Quick follow-up: I just spoke to the salesman who showed me the '18 XLE last week. Mainly I wanted to tell him to stop calling but also that I had not made any decisions yet on what I wanted to do. I then discussed my experience at the dealership. While I acknowledged that I wasn't going to buy the car that day which obviously had an impact on any price discussions, I told him that if I did come back in to get another look at the car, with an eye towards a purchase, my starting point would be the 34K that the internet query had given me, a higher trade in offer and TFS financing at the 0.9% current incentive deal being offered (no mention of the $500 cash back offer from this dealer). The salesman is a good kid and I told him that this wasn't on him. It was partially on me but more on his sales manager. He understood and asked me to call him if I'm inclined to jump off on the car. We'll see. My experience has taught me that your first impression of a new car is not completely reliable. It's the second and, if needed, the third look that really lets you discover the things that you may not like and how important to you they are.

#296 ·
Your city and state: Orlando, FL
Engine: I4
MSRP: $35,903
Price before Tax Title Tag: $32,236
Price after Tax Title Tag: $33,872
Invoice: $33,555
Interior: Black Leather
Miscellaneous add-ons/extras: Driver Assist, Pano Roof, Audio Package, Floor/Trunk Mats