Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other. (explain in a post)

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Wondering if I could get yalls opinions!

I'm really debating on my Sound System...

I am currently running the Factory Installed JBL System in my '09 Xrs.

Back on the 27th of August, I was in a major car accident in m '09 S and it was filed as totaled. I was running a complete aftermarket system minus the headunit, everything under Alpine.

Thread for the accident Link ----> http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355459

I'm not a Wiz at Car Audio, can someone tell me how much Watts my System was running?

I was running:

-SPS-600 : 6 1/2"Front Speakers

Peak Power handling: 240W
RMS Power Range (Watts): 80

-SPS-609 : 6x9 Rear Deck Speakers

Peak Power handling: 260W
RMS Power Range (Watts): 85

-SWR-1223D : 12" Type-R Sub

Continuous Power Handling: 600W
Peak Power handling: 1800W

- MRP-F300 Amp : 200watts powering all four speakers

Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms)50 x 4
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms)75 x 4
Continuous Watts Bridged150 x 2
Max Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms)50 x 4

-MRP-M500 Amp : 500watts powering the sub
Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms)300 x 1
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms)500 x 1

On to the point of the thread, I wanted to add more Bass to my car, and the question is,

Should I sell my Alpine System, and by a Subwoofer that will Sit to the side and be flush so I still have trunk space?

or

Swap out my JBL back to my Alpine and add a bass knob?
Would there be any complications if I did this since I have the JBL in already?

or

Any other ideas you guys have?

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
Thats one sick looking accident.

on a "real" figure it kinda depends on how the subwoofer coils were wired, but was most likely the 4 ohm coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load on your single channel amplifier for 500wrms. The door speakers were all 4 ohms so had each channel at 50wrms totaling a granddaddy system figure of 700 wrms

Bass knobs really dont help anything, as the system should be tuned to one setting.. eventually :D.

From the parts chosen i can see that the mid/top end easily produces more volume than your low end setup. However, I'm sure when balanced it sounds nice though. Does the box that your sub woofer is currently in matches it specifications?

Interesting point, you want to add space to your trunk yet you want more bass, generally speaking, its one or the other. :cool: I myself went off the deep end and have about 2 to 3 cubic feet of space left in my trunk (now called "central processing") after my sound system. :(

Ive heard many OEM JBL/Bose systems in cars, and a lot of them sound really nice, crisp highs, tight bass. But to my dismay I am quite the customizer, and If I had a good system in an identical car that sounded sweet, I would switch it over. But, they are your ears and your cars! To be honest, I would just add a subwoofer if your bass is lacking, as I've had a hard time in the past surpassing the premo-stock system in my 1996 avalon (harmon kardon) For the exact reason the the door speakers have their speaker boxes custom tailored just for that speaker. And I even had the advantage of the speakers being 15 years old!

I know that was a lot of crap to read. Long story short: "Keep the JBL, add a sub"

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

You gave really good input! TBH I think I was just wanting my old system back just cause it looked sweet :lol:

But I think that keeping the JBL and getting a stealth box type sub would be more practical eh? :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Instead of the Alpines, I would put in the Soundstream Tarantula T5 subwoofers, they are about the same price, but they are louder and better quality. I bought my Alpines, and then the Soundstream T5 came out, and my local dealer showed me that baby, and the size of the woofer is huge. Good quality too. You can't go wrong. Especially for a single woofer, just go with a vented box. It takes about the same size vented box as a Alpine Type Rs. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah thanks for the input, but I think I'm gonna stick w/ the JBL system and sell my Alpines.

I just want to get a sub now that won't take up space. A JL Audio style stealthbox is what I want to get

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh :eek:

I don't think I wouldn't want that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts