Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been having all kinds of problems with my yota lately. First thing, I threw the #3 rod bearing so it was then time for a rebuild. I went ahead and bought a new motor for the truck and sold the old one. I get the thing back together and I still have a CEL light. One was the o2 sensor code, so I replaced the sensor because I knew the old one was bad. Next I get a code 52 which is the knock sensor code. So I take the truck to a guy here in town that was recommended by some buddies, they say he is good with the yotas. He takes a look at my truck and tells me that I need 2 o2 sensors. Does this make sense?? The manifold I have in the truck is not original and it has an o2 sensor in the manifold. The problem is that I have no wire in the harness that has a coupler in it to hook up the o2 sensor. Second I found is that it does not have a knock sensor on the motor. I didnt have one on the old one either. So I look for a knock sensor wire and I cant find it anywhere!! no cut wires in the harness. I can feel the truck loose power soon as the CEL comes on and my fuel mileage is terrible. Im talkin about 12 MPG on a fresh motor. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone seen this problem before?? Any help would be awesome, I feel like I am chasing my tail here.:headbang:

·
Registered
1989 Toyota Pickup
98 Posts
V6 or 22re?

·
Registered
1989 Toyota Pickup
98 Posts
Tranny? Mileage? 4x4?Lead foot or not? Something is definitely wrong but it would be easier with those details.

Edit: Also a new motor needs to be broken in. When my dad first bought his new taco (2wd extended cab manual) he got about that but as it wears in your milage should improve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a manual, the new motor has about 500 miles on it since I put it in. I wouldnt say that Im a lead foot but it seems like I have to have it to the wood in order to make it up some hills when im at speed. It seems like it takes everything she has to keep 60 mph. I know that it will take some time for the motor to be broken in, but should I see this kind of mpg? It just seems like something is not right. I think alot of it has to do with the knock sensor. The truck runs great and has good power until around 2000 rpm and then the CEL light comes on and it falls on its face. I notice a huge power decrease in the low end power. Thanks for the replies, i need all the help I can get on this one. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts