Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the process of doing heavy maintenance on this Camry that I just bought. I'm going to change the automatic transmission fluid. I'm thinking about using the Redline ATF. What do you guys use?

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Redline is a good brand. I use all their stuff in every vehicle I own.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Redline Hi Temp + B&M cooler for me.

I noticed you've got a '92. You might wanna be careful about switching to synthetic with an older, high mileage vehicle. There are firm believers out there that argue that shocking the tranny with a full flush coupled with synth. loosens build-up that actually leads to tranny failure shortly after. I'm not sure if I believe it myself but it's something to think about.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I don't, just posted a few days ago, if the tranny fluid a combination of burnt, bad color, and/or has metal particles in it. It's near dead already.

As long as that's not quite the case, you might as well flush it and change the filter. (some have them in the tranny, some have none, make sure someone drops the pan and sees as it's an ill-taught practice) Look at it this way, if you flush it and it dies, it was dead anyways. If you don't flush it, it's going to die at some point, so you might aswell cut down the wear and tear until then!

A aux. tranny cooler should be manditory! First mod I'd do any any new car...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I'm thinking about adding the Hayden tranny cooler & do a full flush. I probably will add the Redline ATF or something from Toyota.

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
Jeeves said:
Redline is a good brand. I use all their stuff in every vehicle I own.

Love that Redline Water Wetter...

First time i used it was in my '81 Tercel some years ago. Before taking a trip from NY to Va Beach, I flushed my cooling system and poured a little in with the antifreeze. After 2 miles of driving, the temp gauge just did a freefall down to 'C', then later settled on one level just above 'C'. It stayed that way all the way to and back from VA. Awesome stuff.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
QueensCamry78 said:
Yea, I'm thinking about adding the Hayden tranny cooler & do a full flush. I probably will add the Redline ATF or something from Toyota.
If I'm not mistaken, Hayden only makes a fin and tube style cooler. I'd suggest you get a stacked plate type such as B&M. They're much more durable, not to mention maintains fluid pressure.

·
Its still a Camry.
1991 Lexus Es250
522 Posts
I know my initial post on this thread was pointless, but where is the best place to get a trannie cooler and how hard would it be to install. How much would a B&M run me? If you have a link to provide, thad be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts