Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Camry SE V6
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I found this 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo. It's black, it's a T-Top & it only has 82k miles on it, even the after-market radio looks like it came from the factory, & it has climate control (in a 1989 Toyota!), it's absolutely gorgeous. The only problem w/it is that it's a 4-Speed Automatic, realize that it has a Turbo-Charged 3.0L V6, w/that transmission, all that power is basically flushed right down the toilet. Now, I wanted to find another Supra w/a manual & swap the transmission & maybe sell the other one. I talked to a friend of mine @ Wal-Mart & he told me that he could drop a 6-Speed LSD transmission for like $300. Tell me what you think of it.
1989 Toyota Supra Turbo

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Sorry to say, your friend at walmart doesn't know what he's talking about or he's very seriously mistaken. The engine is also a straight 6 (I6), not a V6.

The car itself looks very clean, but there is no 6 speed that you can swap in (The 6Speed from the Mk4 supra requires a -LOT- of work and usually costs several thousand in good condition.) The 5 speed transmission you'd be looking for would be an R154 (alternatively, you could use a W58 from the non-turbo models, but it will not take the same abuse that the R154 will, it is far more prone to breaking) from the same/model car. Now, because they're relatively stout transmissions they're not prone to excessive failures they're not common to be found unless they're broken or being sold so....

There's a guy here selling everything you need for the swap (you don't -JUST- need the tranny) for $800: (You'll need to be a member and logged in at SupraForums.com to see this thread)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539057

Now, as for the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) isn't even part of the Transmission (they're connected by the driveshaft though). It is near the very rear of the car.

While this is a '69 Camaro, the large black orb near the rear is the differential, which is the LSD in a Supra. And the transmission should be easy to pick out (right behind the orange oil pan):

·
Registered
65 Posts
ya the 6 speed swap is roughly 5-7000 to do, you have to change bell housing, tranny, youd need a sc300 tail shaft to work, need new driveline lsd and 1 new cv axel, so if its n/a id go w58 but like Jeeves said the r154 would be way toougher and better way to go (although jeevs surprisingly i had a w58 on 3 different 7mgTe's and it held through all of em) prolly hit or miss there and as for lsd find a turbo model and take the lsd off it, easiest way

1 - 3 of 3 Posts