Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting a new system in my Gen 3.5 Camry, just wanted some outside opinions. I'm not going for any incredible bass or SQ competition stuff, I just want a good system to listen to when I'm crusin.

Dual DVD Source Unit
Pioneer 6.5" 180W 3-Way Speakers (Front)
Pioneer 6x9" 240W 4-Way Speakers (Rear)
Pioneer 10" 500W Subwoofer (Mounted behind rear seats)
Pioneer 760W 2-Channel Amplifier
Optima Yellow-Top Battery
1 Farad Capacitor

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
i love pioneer, u cant go wrong :thumbup: but im not a big fan of 4-way speaks, i like components or just 2-ways

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
make sure you get the extended free replacement warrenty, pioneers will crap out after about a year of hardish playing.

they sound good, but i dont trust the quality.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
^^^^^ ur crampin my style here steveO :D

if you get the premier models u get 2 year warrenty :thumbup:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
ive got nothin against them, friend of mine has pioneer all around, got them from Best Buy, with the free replacement warrenty.

best thing he did, because they started getting distorted and weird, so he took em back and got new ones, now it sounds great again.

but yeah, 4way is just a marketing gimick, but thats been discussed many a time

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
S2B_Blown_3.5 said:
I am in the process of putting a new system in my Gen 3.5 Camry, just wanted some outside opinions. I'm not going for any incredible bass or SQ competition stuff, I just want a good system to listen to when I'm crusin.

Dual DVD Source Unit
Pioneer 6.5" 180W 3-Way Speakers (Front)
Pioneer 6x9" 240W 4-Way Speakers (Rear)
Pioneer 10" 500W Subwoofer (Mounted behind rear seats)
Pioneer 760W 2-Channel Amplifier
Optima Yellow-Top Battery
1 Farad Capacitor
How important is having the rear speakers? Do you have people in the back alot? I personally prefer to have no rear speakers and a really good set of component speakers up front. Running off a seperate amp. Pioneer speakers aren't too bad but there is alot better out there for not too much more money. You could get a really nice set of high end component speakers up front for probably around the same price of two sets of decent 2 way speakers. Pioneer makes awesome head units and I'd highly recomend it over Dual. You can use the dual for handling dvd movies but I wouldn't rec. having this as the main unit for playing CD's. Get a decent pioneer head unit like the dehp-7600mp This will give you better SQ and longer life than the dual unit. Some other good brands are eclipse, alpine, clarion, jvc, kenwood, nakimichi, jbl, etc. Brands in general to stay away from are pyle, sherwood, dhd, crunch, dual(sorry no offense:p: ) sony(unless really high end headunits). For some good consumer reviews check out
www.carreview.com

:dj:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
what is it with you guys and not wanting rear speakers? ive got a nice set of components up front and 6x9's in the back.

without the rears, it sounds wierd, it sounds much better with all 4 firing.

plus pioneer doesnt sell a component set, they dont do high end stuff like that.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
^^ for real, you need the rear speaks for fill or it will sound odd

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I used to think the same, but that just means your speakers up front are lacking. A good set up will not require speakers in the rear. I ran rears for years, and found out I was always tweaking the sound, the reason imaging is all wrong. the time the rear speakers reach your ears is mil-seconds behind the front, hence poor imaging. Once I removed my rears, and time aligned my sub, the sound is perfect, crisp and accurate. Pioneer makes good decks for the buck. I myself prefer eclipse HU. Alpine second, then pioneer.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Stevethecleric said:
ive got nothin against them, friend of mine has pioneer all around, got them from Best Buy, with the free replacement warrenty.
Well there is your problem, installed by Best Buy, like they know what they're doing :lol: :lol:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
i said he got them from best buy, never said anything about best buy installing them

·
Registered
99 camry le v6
148 Posts
Stevethecleric said:
...but yeah, 4way is just a marketing gimick, but thats been discussed many a time
yeah 4ways are no different than 3-way speakers aside from the obvious appearance. its just to get more money out of you and to make it seem like you're actually benefiting from it. i think the only purpose of the supertweeter that constitutes the "4way" is to make dogs go insane like with those dog whistles.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
eddiem67 said:
I used to think the same, but that just means your speakers up front are lacking. A good set up will not require speakers in the rear. I ran rears for years, and found out I was always tweaking the sound, the reason imaging is all wrong. the time the rear speakers reach your ears is mil-seconds behind the front, hence poor imaging. Once I removed my rears, and time aligned my sub, the sound is perfect, crisp and accurate. Pioneer makes good decks for the buck. I myself prefer eclipse HU. Alpine second, then pioneer.
Ditto. Rears are only good if you're goal is to have a surround sound for watching movies. For music it is better to have it up front. Ever been to a concert? All the speakers are up front. A good set of components up front with the proper amount of power will give you the best imaging and effect.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
well, considering ive got 6.5 componet set up front IN !!!MY GEN2 CAMRY!! im not too worried about exact imagining. just getting those speakers in there was hard enough. ill use the rears to balance everything out thank you very much!

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
think about this(in a gen 3 camry) the distance from your head againt the headrest to your front speakers at the bottom of the door and the distance from your head to the rear speaks on the rear deck is for sure not more than 2 feet. ill measure later if you like.

speed of sound at room temp is about 1130 ft/sec. So how long does it take sound to travel 2 feet ~ .0017 seconds.

yall much have some really sensitive hearing
:eek:

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
remember that the rear right speaker is farthest from the front left speaker, more than two feet :rolleyes: I have extreme sensitive hearing when it comes to my system. Rule of thumb is you have to match waves (time to you) from the to speaker farthest away from you, I have the formula at home, I will bring it tomorrow. Yes we are talking mil-seconds.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
^^^ your speak in the right door is further from your head than the speak in the left door ....we could go on like this for hours :rolleyes:
i know how sound waves work and i know how to build systems,
but really i think all this guy wanted was some input on what he was buying for his car, dont think he going to be doing any high SQ demonstrations.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
that is correct, so now you have to time align 3 speakers to match the one, vs just matching 1, if you want your system to sound like shit then be my guest, just trying to educate the boy so he can invest his money where he needs to. People like "rear fill" but I would not invest on anything more than a 2 way speaker for the rear.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
DrtySthV6SE said:
im not a big fan of 4-way speaks, i like components or just 2-ways

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input. I picked the dual because my funds are a little limited and that was the cheapest dvd/monitor combo unit I saw at $999. I wanted the rear speakers in to provide a little surround for the DVD unit. I was considering a basic CD player as well, since I don't want to drive around with the screen open to play a CD. If I do i guess I'll mount it under the Dual, where that little storage thing is.

Also, thanks for the warning about the 4-Ways, i guess I'll stick with 3-ways all around. I'm not really worried about perfect sound, because if I balance the speakers to the driver then it would sound kinda screwed up for the other passengers in the car, so I guess I just leave the balance stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts