Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a car i am very interested in, but it has a salvaged title. Im not too familiar with this term, and was wondering what it means? I have an idea of what it means, like the car was involved in an accident, but would like to know the exact definition. It may sound like a stupid question, and im sorry about that, but i need to know what this really means. thanks guys.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yea, i already saw that, it says its saved from loss. thats a little broad. Does it mean the car was totalled, and rebuilt, or can it mean that it ws in a fender bender and a fender was changed? And your pretty funny... i love comedians... maybe i shuold book you on a tour....

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
It wouldnt be a broken bumper and replacement, or else all used cars that got small incidents would never sell.

Salvaged is when its totaled, and rebuilt.
You are better off to buy a car that is used with low miles, less chance of breaking down.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man, thats what i thought and was just reassuring, and that little quote i put at the end there, it was from heavy weights, it kinda reminded me of that lol.

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
Depending on the state "Salvaged Titled" could be anything as simple as the car was brought from a jumkyard/auto recycler.

But generally under a salvaged title, a car falls under this tittle if the car was not repaired due to a broken or defunt parts or body and towed off to a junkyard. sometimes ppl cant afford to fix the car so they get it towed to the junkayrd, or the car was sitting on the side of the road due to a flat tire or becsaue the car overheated adn the owner never retrived the car and it gets towed to the junkard. and then ppl buy these cars becasue they had a simple little problem as a blown tire or the car over heated cause they didn't have the right mixtuire of coolant.

I have brought cars that all they needed was a new hood, or new quater-panel, just because its a slavaged title doesn't mean its bad.

you will be surprised at what you can find at a junkyard/auto recycler that you can get a salavaged title for.

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
Is it possible to wipe away a slavaged title or anything, or will the car always be hard to sell? I've always wondered that, kinda like speeding tickets coming off your insurance...

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
My mr2 was salvaged.... had a messed up bumper, fender, and some of the shit going to the right front wheel. I believe it was replaced with an entire front clip. Everything is OK.

·
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
you can get the title clean, and sometimes they will issue a new vin,

so even though it maybe salvaged now, you can go and get it wiped clean.

I will be going through this when i go and produce yet another awd Camry, I will also get a new vin becasue of the awd and other modifcations i will be making.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lot of salvage titled cars were stolen or repo'd or seized.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
Sportivo Concepts said:
you will be surprised at what you can find at a junkyard/auto recycler that you can get a salavaged title for.
exactly, people get the idea that a salvaged title is the end of the world for a car that they can never resell it etc etc. these are all misconceptions.

my husband's '89 MR2 has a salvaged title, but it was rebuilt. all of this is stated on the title. it was in a wreck on the pass quarter panel and pretty much the entire right side. but when he bought this car, it was a cheap price & he was lucky to pick it up.

sometimes a salvaged title can also be due to a freshwater flood, like a street flood.

i guess it bothers some people, but it doesn't bother me or my husband...it doesn't stop people from complimenting the car including a guy in a Ferrari 360 today :cool:

Keri

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Sportivo Concepts said:
you can get the title clean, and sometimes they will issue a new vin
how is that possible???...VIN numbers are produced by manufacturers...not by the DOT....

·
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
here in the states they can re-assign you a new VIN if major modifcations has been done like engine swaps or awd/rwd conversions.

and actually DOT has some say about the VIN, its the same way a custom Hot Rod or custom Chopper gets a VIN number,

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
yeah, When the motor was replaced with just the same size motor with my celica, they issued me a new vin for the car.

They said incase it was stolen later or in a wreck, the motor would match. ?! The same size motor was put back in, but they still issued the new vin.

·
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
As for Salavaged titles, if a car is sold within most states and the damage is 50%-75% of the value of the car it is considered to be salvaged

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I found out, you need to get a rebuilt title on your car. This requires goverment inspection to ensure that everything passes their specifications.

Not sure if this applies for you or not though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts