Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police took a picture of my car (88 toyota camry) while I was driving. Im on my red P's, I was not speeding or going fast, my music was not up load, and my car has a cannon exhaust on it. I was touching my phone that was in its mount because I was changing the song when i looked in my rear view mirror and noticed an unmarked ford ranger with two police in it. One of them was on his radio and the one driving then took a picture of my car with a camera while we were both driving slowly through an esplanade. Why did they take a picture of my car? I got my P's a couple of days ago, so could it be maybe to put me on "the books" or something? Do police send defects through the mail? They followed me for a few more minutes before until they changed direction and drove off, they had the opportunity to pull me over, but they did not, so what does this all mean, why take a picture? please help. Thanks :)

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Perhaps they liked the look of your Camry :lol:. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you receive something in the mail or get a knock on the door. They were probably taking the photo to check if the car was stolen, or there may have been another vehicle which fits the description that was involved in a crime. Just be glad it wasn't a speed camera taking your photo :cool:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Threy could be a fake officers; the real officer should stop you if there is a violation and give you a warning or a ticket (promice to appear) in court. My co-worker was stopped for speeding by the fake "officer" who later sent him a "ticket" for $80 (!) that said "do not contact the court".
I told him that this is a fake ticket, and suggested to contact the PD at his residence. The detectives got the "officer's" description and began to look for him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps they liked the look of your Camry :lol:. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you receive something in the mail or get a knock on the door. They were probably taking the photo to check if the car was stolen, or there may have been another vehicle which fits the description that was involved in a crime. Just be glad it wasn't a speed camera taking your photo :cool:
haha, I will put some pictures up soon actually, because its not looking too bad if i do say so myself :) oh i see, well not mine then because it hasn't been involved in any crimes really. Also, about speed cameras, how long do they take to come in the mail? and say you get your picture taken by a speed camera that is BEHIND you (so your facing and driving in the opposite direction) would you still see the flash? (This is in day time by the way).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Threy could be a fake officers; the real officer should stop you if there is a violation and give you a warning or a ticket (promice to appear) in court. My co-worker was stopped for speeding by the fake "officer" who later sent him a "ticket" for $80 (!) that said "do not contact the court".
I told him that this is a fake ticket, and suggested to contact the PD at his residence. The detectives got the "officer's" description and began to look for him.
What are the point of these "fake" officers then? like what do they actually do? and what should I do if I do get a ticket in the mail from one of these "fake" officers?
I've only had my P's for about 5 days, haven't been in trouble for anything yet, so do I still have a warning up my sleeve?

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
These, "fake" officers are just jerks who like to cruise around and mess with/intimidate people. Honestly, I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
haha, I will put some pictures up soon actually, because its not looking too bad if i do say so myself :) oh i see, well not mine then because it hasn't been involved in any crimes really. Also, about speed cameras, how long do they take to come in the mail? and say you get your picture taken by a speed camera that is BEHIND you (so your facing and driving in the opposite direction) would you still see the flash? (This is in day time by the way).

It depends on the location of the camera. If it's a really busy road with a camera that catches hundreds of people a day then the photos are processed on a very regular basis, but if it's a road that is less travelled with a camera that only catches a few people a day then the photos are processed less regularly. It also depends on how busy the collections department are as they can take days, weeks or even months to actually send the letter out after processing the photo. Either way, they'll sting you no matter what.

Yeah you should be able to see the flash when going past it in the opposite direction, but only if you're looking in your rear view mirror straight before and after you go past it. If you're looking in your rear view mirror when going past it then you obviously know it's there, as the flash happens in a split second. There are sensors in the road which tell the camera how fast you're going. I just rely on my Navman to tell me where they all are. It comes up with an alert when I approach one. I've got it set to 400m so that I know well in advance. However that only picks up fixed speed cameras, not the ones in back of vans, so it's probably better just to not speed, lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
get a radar detector. i've been using one for years and it has gotten me out of countless speeding tickets. they are not expensive and if you are driving in a state that doesn't allow them, you can hide them easily. Most radar detectors give you a real fair heads up for red light cameras, speed cameras and several different kind of police radars/lasers. like I said it's gotten me out of countless tickets, either by getting me to slow down or when I get told I got clocked going too fast and I call bullshit saying my radar detector didn't go off. I've never had an officer take me to court over him saying he clocked me and me saying he didn't cause my detector didn't go off. Once in a long flat stretch of highway I was doing about 125 when the detector went off, I slowed down to 65 and I didn't see a cop for almost half a mile. The detector had picked him up roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away, granted it was a flat, they have less range on hilly areas.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
cop1: Dude, that car is a perfect example of rice.
cop2: quick, take my camera out and take a pic; we'll throw it on gotrice.com
cop1: awesome!

·
Registered
89 Posts
roll all your windows down when you get pulled over, before the cop even gets to your car. dont care if it's raining or snowing or whatever, makes the cop feel safer can they can see in your car better and also hides the tint, lets you get away with overly dark tints a little easier. however, thats a horrible idea if you happen to have a bong or an open container of alcohol in your car, plain sight law kicks in and you are oh so screwed. no such thing as a warrant when you got somethin in open sight.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,839 Posts
Such things like alcohol should be in the trunk. I had my sunroof open too to lighten the inside and it's only 30%, still he said it was too dark. O well.. now I need new tint. Can't find any 40% tint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It depends on the location of the camera. If it's a really busy road with a camera that catches hundreds of people a day then the photos are processed on a very regular basis, but if it's a road that is less travelled with a camera that only catches a few people a day then the photos are processed less regularly. It also depends on how busy the collections department are as they can take days, weeks or even months to actually send the letter out after processing the photo. Either way, they'll sting you no matter what.

Yeah you should be able to see the flash when going past it in the opposite direction, but only if you're looking in your rear view mirror straight before and after you go past it. If you're looking in your rear view mirror when going past it then you obviously know it's there, as the flash happens in a split second. There are sensors in the road which tell the camera how fast you're going. I just rely on my Navman to tell me where they all are. It comes up with an alert when I approach one. I've got it set to 400m so that I know well in advance. However that only picks up fixed speed cameras, not the ones in back of vans, so it's probably better just to not speed, lol.
oh ok, I wasn't speeding i don't think so I should be right. yeah i reckon those mobile speed cameras are going to get ALOT of people!

Be glade U didn't get a ticket. A cop hurried with with another car just to speed up can catch up with me... for what... a fix it ticket for tint. Geeezzz
how much was the ticket for the tint? and i may still get a ticket, just through the mail...

Can i get a defect sent out through the mail or is it only on the spot?

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,839 Posts
how much was the ticket for the tint? and i may still get a ticket, just through the mail...

Can i get a defect sent out through the mail or is it only on the spot?
It was a Fix It ticket. I have 2 weeks to get it fix and bring it to the police station or MVA for them to check and sign off on my ticket. Tint is gone and car is uglier than ever. I gonna get new tint but also waiting for a deal on 40% tint to be safe.

I think most of the stuff are on the spot and specially with cops and get you to sign it too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts