Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does the grey valet key do? it runs and starts the car just like normal. I read somewhere that you can't make a copy of it. What exactly does that mean? You can't cut a copy of it? or that toyota won't authorize a chipped copy to someone with the grey vallet key? someone please enlighten me.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I think it does everything that the regular key does. If we had a locking glove box it wouldn't allow access to the glove box. But since we don't have a locking glove box, I guess it's just another extra key.

:confused:

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
I just assumed that key would only unlock the doors and wouldnt start the truck so you would have a spare key if you locked your black key in the truck. Does everything work when you use the gray key?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is there a lockable glove box in any tacoma?

Any salesmen or dealers in this forum?

stevenh563 said:
I just assumed that key would only unlock the doors and wouldnt start the truck so you would have a spare key if you locked your black key in the truck. Does everything work when you use the gray key?
It's called a valet key, so if you have valet park your car they can use the key to do every thing but unlock your glove box.

Are there any Tacomas that have a lockable glove box?

Any salesmen or dealers in this forum that can explain this?

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Thats one of the few complaints I have about my tacoma is the glove box doesnt lock the console doesnt lock and none of the storage compartments lock.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
montybones said:
Who's going to give there truck up to some snotty nosed valet anyway? It would be nice if the chip in the valet key prevented the Tacoma from going any faster than say 15 mph.

I had an '01 Jetta 1.8 turbo with an APR "chip" - it had a valet mode I could activate (on the fly, using the cruise control stalk) that limited the car to 25mph, less than 3000rpm, and would build no boost. It was very cool.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CanuckXtruck said:
The grey Valet key can not be used to program a new duplicate key. You need the black master key to open the programing mode. Hope this clears this question up.
Reg
great, thanks. i didn't realize that you could just use a master key to make a copy of the chip information. I always thought it was a VIN or PCM serial # related thing and that the dealership would have to send in to get a new chipped key. Thanks for the info.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
I Valet cars but I would never give anyone my truck for 1 second. Just my girlfriend haha.
you're crazy!! haha, my GF keeps wanting to drive it, but it hasn't happened yet. i let my friend who owns a '99 4Runner drive it, but not her (yet, i'm sure i'll cave eventually. i mean, c'mon, i can only hold out with no booty for so long... :))

-Mike

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
NESW20 said:
you're crazy!! haha, my GF keeps wanting to drive it, but it hasn't happened yet. i let my friend who owns a '99 4Runner drive it, but not her (yet, i'm sure i'll cave eventually. i mean, c'mon, i can only hold out with no booty for so long... :))

-Mike

This is one reason most of my vehicles have had manual transmissions (including the Tacoma.) If they can't drive it, they won't want to :chug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.