Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1987 Hilux 4x2 pickup here in Australia originally with a 3Y motor which has just been updated with a new 4Y complete motor. On the left inside fender wall, there is a small electrical swith operated from a vacuum line from the carby. The switch wiring appears to go to a solenoid on the carby. What does this switch do, please?.

The reason I'm asking is that when cruising around 70 KPH, the motor tends to surge. If I disconnect the vacuum line to the switch and block off the the outlet at the carby, the motor runs fine.

This also happened with the old motor so I don't believe the problem is the carby.

I have a feeling that the switch has something to do with vapor purging. Is there a valve in the vapor cannister and if so, how can I test it?

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Do the vacuum lines eventually run to the canister? The switch may turn on the canister purge system. If the engine runs OK with the carb port plugged, there may be a vaccum leak in the system. Check the hoses, canister, etc. Make sure the switch works and is not stuck open.

The switch may allow the funes to purge from the canister and to the carb to be burned but just guessing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts