Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
XSE
Trunk opening - if you pop the trunk you really need to have your hands on it, it opens with a strong force bouncing hard, worry it might actually break the rear glass.
Door reach, I have a difficult time, wife more so .. if you open door all the way and get in, door reach is too far away to grasp.
My trunk slows down as it reaches full open.

·
94 Lexus SC300 | 99 Camry
151 Posts
Wouldn’t the “world” most likely hear the car in addition to seeing it lights on.
Not necessarily. And even if they do, it's much harder to locate sound than it is light.

Sitting across a parking lot or a parking garage, you wouldn't notice one car idling, but I bet you could see the headlights. You hear an engine in a row of cars, you won't know which one it is unless you get close.

Parking on a curved road in front of someone's house... neighbors likely wouldn't hear the car idling but they'd notice if the headlights were pointed directly in their window.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,507 Posts
Not necessarily. And even if they do, it's much harder to locate sound than it is light.

Sitting across a parking lot or a parking garage, you wouldn't notice one car idling, but I bet you could see the headlights. You hear an engine in a row of cars, you won't know which one it is unless you get close.

Parking on a curved road in front of someone's house... neighbors likely wouldn't hear the car idling but they'd notice if the headlights were pointed directly in their window.
Are you doing some recon or PI's work? :)

·
94 Lexus SC300 | 99 Camry
151 Posts
Are doing some recon or PI's work?
Nah, just like to feel like a PI ;)

On the real though, I don't live in the greatest part of town... and regardless of that I keep a healthy level of paranoia. Never know when someone's going to see you idling and try to rob you. I just prefer to be stealthy and keep all my business on the low... I'm a big proponent for privacy in general. The only person that needs to know I'm parked in front of a house, is the person who's house it is.

I have 7% tint too... I've hopped out of the car as someone was putting a flyer on my windshield and scared the crap out of 'em lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have 1200 miles on my 2018 XLE V6. Overall it's a very good car compared to my previous 2015 XLE V6 but there are some things that I could do without:
- The front doors are not solidly built. If you're outside the car and close the doors with some force, the sheet metal moves more than I've seen on other cars which can result, at times, in a hollow sound. The rear doors are OK. I'm a bitconcerned about structural integrity if you get t-boned by another car.
- The lack of at least 2 memory seat settings on the XSE and XLE is inexcusable at this point.
- The seats are better than than my 2015's but still not as comfortable as they should be
- Lowering the roof line makes it a bit more of a job to get out the car
- The cover of the center console creaks if you use it to help you get out of the car. Too much cheap plastic there
- The new 301hp V6 is excellent but the 8 speed transmission needs a programming update. It can lurch at times
- Toyota changed the makeup of the radio's LED screen. It does not behave well with polarized sunglasses. The screen is visible but there are shadows in certain areas that cut down details, primarily on the map. The screen in my 2015 had no such problem. I can use non-polarized glasses but there are very visible reflections from the dashboard top onto the windshield. It's especially prominent from the cutout that holds the HUD projector and sits right in your line of vision. Since the intensity of the reflections depends on how the light hits the windshield it's not a constant problem but when it's bad it's bad. Polarized sunglasses knock these reflections out very nicely so it's a "between a rock and a hard place" situation
- The premium JBL audio system is a big improvement over the gen 7 version but it's still wonky with a flash drive loaded with MP3s. Now, to Toyota's credit, voice recognition is now almost spot on. It rarely misses which was definitely not the case with my 2015. Dynamic Navigation is also better than the system in the previous models.

No car is perfect and the new Camrys have their share of faults but overall, given a choice between my 2015 XLE and the 2018 XLE, it's the new model all the way. It just could be more of a winner if Toyota had paid attention to some details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go to setting and turn DRL off.
But we want the DRL to work during the daytime. Thats why they are called DAYTIME running lights. The park lights should override the DRL.

I did turn the DRL off in the settings. If I want lights on during the day I just turn headlights on now.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Pretty standard for LED DRLs to turn to white accent lights when parking lights are turned on. For sure seemingly the standard on Toyota vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I bought 18 XSE, the sale man told me this car has navigation. Now I realized it is Scout GPS which use my phone data every time. That is "f---ing great"
I like it. I've used the Camry GPS more than my Cherokees navigation, actually have never used my Cherokee navigation because its so difficult to use. Using data, but its not much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1) Center Hump at the rear seat (Hello? I thought Civic, Corolla, Camry and Accord remove that hump 10 years ago, what happen to Camry bringing it back? Isn't Camry FWD?)

2) Headroom (rear seat) - I still not filling very comfortable with my hair brushing the ceiling.

3) Center rear seat - Whey they can't make it as comfortable as the two seats near the door? Are we assuming Sedan only fit 4 people, the 5th is for emergency only?

·
Is Here To Look
28 Posts
When I put a backpack in the back seat and while driving it starts beeping to put the seat belt on the backpack... THAT IS ANNOYING. ( just found out you can turn that feature OFF with TechStream ).

·
Registered
196 Posts
SE.

Lame the SE didn't come with the LED taillights that look so nice. Instead they left the same outside look of the light, but there's just s single bulb inside that giant housing. Totally weak.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Things I don't like about my XLE Hybrid:

Have to lean left to see HUD completely (maybe it's just me but the field of view is narrow in any case).
Can't grab steering wheel at 6 o'clock position. There's a spoke in the way.
Can't set audio as home page by itself.
Standalone Nav unavailable.

Love the improvement in handling over my 2012 and 2014 XLE hybrids. At 125 miles on the odometer the computer says I've averaged 50.2 MPG.

·
Registered
144 Posts
At 125 miles on the odometer the computer says I've averaged 50.2 MPG.
I'm assuming that you DO like this about the 18 Camry. :smile:

Good to see initial reports of the hybrid XLE coming in above the MPG estimates. Time and miles will certainly tell if it continues to beat estimates.

·
Registered
198 Posts
While the Dynamic Nav system is very good, the map has some very quirky behaviors. When you first bring the map up, there are always three tabs on the right side for saved destination. They go away after a minute or two so they're not that oppressive. The really annoying issue is that if you are on on a freeway, when the map comes up either from the map button or by enlarging it on the home screen, it always comes up with a split screen with the next few exits listed in the right pane. This is completely unnecessary and forces me to bring up the map options and select single screen. Even when that was the previous setting chosen, the dual pane will still always come up on a highway/freeway and there doesn't appear to be way to lock in a default setting.

·
Toyota Ninja
169 Posts
XSE
Trunk opening - if you pop the trunk you really need to have your hands on it, it opens with a strong force bouncing hard, worry it might actually break the rear glass.
Door reach, I have a difficult time, wife more so .. if you open door all the way and get in, door reach is too far away to grasp.
I have a 18 XSE, i see no issue with the trunk. mine opens up with some force but the shock slows it down when it nears fully open, even then there is at least 3 inches of room between the trunk and glass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We took the XSE in to have that trunk opener looked at .. they are ordering a new shock for the lid. The way it was opening it was gonna bend metal or break glass.

141 - 160 of 361 Posts