Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the Highlander for about a month now. I like a lot about it(way more than I dislike) It is the wife's daily vehicle but here is my list of things I don't like so far:

1. Panoramic Moon Roof takes two presses to Close fully- Stupid design
2. Noisy seat coolers- Seems like the fan is right behind my head when they are running at higher settings
3. Brown accents on my Black interior - don't mind the brown stitching in the leather seats but the other areas(dash tray and interior door grabs) shouldn't be brown in my opinion.
4. No digital Speedometer - C'mon Toyota
5. No Tire Pressure readout - C'mon Toyota
6. No HID/LED headlights on a platinum??? I plan to putting a kit in but for a $50k vehicle this day and age this should be standard..
7. No Remote Start - See above about headlights
8. Heated steering wheel should be fully heated- Spoiled by my previous jeep I guess
9. Start/Stop is the dumbest thing ever but we are stuck with this with all new vehicles I am afraid

That's it as far as I found so far.. Just little pet peeves but I do love the vehicle other than these few minor annoyances..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve had my Platinum for almost 3 weeks...

1). The center console opens when I rest my arm on it
2). I cannot plug my phone in via USB while using the Pandora app built into the vehicle, I have to open the app on my phone and use the Bluetooth input
3). I have windnoise from my panoramic moonroof while sitting still and having a cross wind (quiet while driving)
4). Remote start is worthless, has a range of less than 100 feet, WTH?
5). Agree on tire pressure being unavailable
6). Screen Off images do not rotate automatically, it can only store 3 which is also disappointing.
7) GPS estimated time is absurdly inaccurate. The drive home from the dealership said 9.5 hours on the car unit and 8.2 on the cell phone gps. That seems to be a constant inaccuracy

·
Registered
391 Posts
A couple of additional features that I was spoiled with on my previous 2015 Subaru Outback:

Lack of full speed dynamic cruise control. Highlander kicks out below 25 mph whereas Subaru would take the car down to a full stop and then reengage just by flicking a switch on the steering wheel or stepping on the accelerator. I found this very useful in bumper to bumper, stop and start traffic jams. Highlander requires you to speed up to about 30 mph before you can resume. Newer Toyotas have the full speed version so I would expect next generation Highlander to have this as well.

The clock - both in the dash and in the GPS system. On the Subaru it would automatically update in the spring and fall for daylight savings time changes. The Highlander requires the dash clock be updated manually and also requires you the go into the navigation menu to click or unclick the DST setting.

·
Registered
663 Posts
1. No digital speed readout
2. No actual tire pressure display
3. Overboosted steering
4. Power hatch is stupid slow.
5. No led or hid headlights. My 2018 Camry that cost 24k has led. Why doesn't my 42k 2018 highlander have them.
6. No led tag lights. Again 24k dollar Camry has them.
7. Led interior lights would also be nice for the price.
8. No hood struts. Once more 24k dollar Camry has them.

All of these are very minor complaints. Overall it's still the best vehicle we have ever owned.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3. Overboosted steering
5. No led or hid headlights. My 2018 Camry that cost 24k has led. Why doesn't my 42k 2018 highlander have them.

All of these are very minor complaints. Overall it's still the best vehicle we have ever owned.
My 2012 camry and and previously owned 2012 Jeep have hood struts too...forgot about that negative lol.. BTW i just joined the highlander group on FB. I think I saw your sig pic or atleast a pic that matches your Lander on there. You on there?

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - sunroof - too many switches, too many sequences to fully close
2 - headlamps - no HIDs at this price point (Limited for Canada = Platinum for US)
3 - wheels - 19" chrometec wheels feel like they're made of cast iron. Doesn't help with ride comfort or handling and probably works against fuel economy goals. I put on 18s flowformed wheels for winter and they felt a good 30 lbs lighter EACH corner.
4 - navigation - cannot input while in motion
5 - seats - Memory presets cannot recalled while out of Park
6 - steering wheel - heated at 3 and 9 only??
7 - trunk - power hatch is unnecessarily slow
8 - automatic headlamps - takes 30 seconds to realize we're in a tunnel. Sample rate is just too long. However if you start up the car in the dark the headlamps fire up instantly. What gives? It's not a sensor or sensitivity problem, it just doesn't check fast enough.
9 - clock - on board clock not the same as the system time in the NAV. Redundant
10 - transmission - 8 speed programming is terrible. I get that it's hesitant to downshift, but I hate how it upshifts on turns. Always in the wrong gear when it comes time to get back on the throttle.
11 - TPMS - it took a month before the car realized I took the factory wheels off and I was running winter wheels without TPMS lol.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11 - TPMS - it took a month before the car realized I took the factory wheels off and I was running winter wheels without TPMS lol.
are your stored wheels in the garage with your highlander or close by? In the winter when I have winter wheels on my camry it takes a good 20 miles or so for it to realize it(the sensors aren't there) every day. Same place on my way to work it starts flashing and turns on. So if you don't drive real far it might not ever come on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Eliminate needing a button to open fuel door. I like the pushing to release fuel doors. And make the fuel fill hole the new easy fill type/no cap type.

Eliminate the engine turning off opening the door after using the remote start. Of course better range needed. I went with Viper.

Better driver's seat, the horizontal part you sit on. Tilt the whole horizontal, not just the front edge.
And make the front passenger seat just as adjustable as the driver's.

Better, more intuitive compass. Just tell me what direction I'm headed.

Easier to use cruise control. I liked the old GM style on the turn signal. My 2016 Corvette left thumb control is really easy, hands on, intuitive. I really like to have the option for the cruise to be turned all the time. Not engaged, but turned on like the Vette.
I have hit the wipers several times going for the cruise on the HL.
Cruise is too complicated and less intuitive than others. You need to move your right hand down to engage it. Then up or down not always quickly intuitive. Not so with the two I mentioned.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I echo most of what has already been noted here. My biggest compliant at this price point are the lights. Halogen headlights and no LED tails? Come on Toyota, at least make it an upgrade in the Limited & Platinum trims.

One thing that bugs me is the HVAC functions. If I turn it off, the rear stays on until I press rear. To me, Off means off, including rear. Also when I turn on the HVAC, it doesn't automatically have all zones sync'd. All my other cars do this when you first turn it on.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I echo most of what has already been noted here. My biggest compliant at this price point are the lights. Halogen headlights and no LED tails? Come on Toyota, at least make it an upgrade in the Limited & Platinum trims.

One thing that bugs me is the HVAC functions. If I turn it off, the rear stays on until I press rear. To me, Off means off, including rear. Also when I turn on the HVAC, it doesn't automatically have all zones sync'd. All my other cars do this when you first turn it on.
I thought they had LED tail lights?

·
Registered
136 Posts
are your stored wheels in the garage with your highlander or close by? In the winter when I have winter wheels on my camry it takes a good 20 miles or so for it to realize it(the sensors aren't there) every day. Same place on my way to work it starts flashing and turns on. So if you don't drive real far it might not ever come on.
Yeah, I realized that right after I pressed submit on my previous response.

The tires are stored on the racks about 25 ft away. I did observe that peculiar behavior where the light won't come on until about 50kms into the trip.. pretty consistent... that is, up until we got into real winter temperatures and the TPMS warning just stayed permanently on.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
What I expected from my HL might be a little lower then most since I bought the LE with AWD/V6. With that said, there's very few if any things I don't like about the HL. Even though it's the LE version - it still has MORE features then my 98 Pathfinder that was fully loaded. The HL doesn't have the Leather or sun roof but that's OK since I prefer cloth seats and never use the sun roof anyways. But I'm amazed at all the features the HL LE has that the Pathfinder didn't.

·
Registered
663 Posts
3. Overboosted steering

My 2012 camry and and previously owned 2012 Jeep have hood struts too...forgot about that negative lol.. BTW i just joined the highlander group on FB. I think I saw your sig pic or atleast a pic that matches your Lander on there. You on there?
Yes sir. I'm apart of the Facebook page for the highlander and Camry club as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. Transmission shift logic. Nuff said on that.
2. When you exit the vehicle with the lights in the ON position, there is an obnoxiously loud warning buzz. Come on, the lights turn themselves off, I don't need this reminder! And no way to disable it either.
3. No 12V power source behind 2nd row seating.
4. Radio controls hard to reach when driving.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Its been some time since a list of rants post....and I thought I would run through some of the points made and give my take on it.

I also have the LE, and have very few picky things I expected to be different as the base car and trim. It is a $28,000 SUV. All else you pay is for the trim, and I never found much of them worth it. In fact some major ones were a negative vs a upgrade worth paying for.
Like... the JBL sound system being #1 issue. Another was the plastic wheels, and I was already done with Limited, and was down to the XLE. No cloth seat option. For a 110F weather in summer climate, cloth is nice. So the only difference between the LE and XLE : power trunk was stupid slow, stereo was still unacceptable. and climate control was auto(I prefer manual controls), BUT had nicer wheels..whoopi. Save $8K and put in a real sound system with savings. Captain chairs were a negative for me and the reason for the HL "8seater" (theoretical) in the first place.

Safety features on the trim were useless to me as I am still alert and pay attention most of the time. Besides I would likely turn one of the features off for it bugging me, and then be pointless. When I hit 70 AND my senses are worn, or if I take up drinking while driving, I can find them useful. The point of the auto cruise control would be for traffic purposes, otherwise I don't see much a point. And it doesn't deliver here either. But I can see any of these features bring a smile to anyone that is willing to pay for it, and enjoy it.

So for the LE, I have a few, but they are small and they are not all functional.....

1. Entune and sound quality sucks across the range of trim levels.
2. Climate control changes from outside to recycle with cool to heat setting. Off knob is not on the Off position. No rear AC control from front.
3. Roof rails are only a 1 point mounting system as opposed to a other vastly versatile systems.
4. Seats jiggle a bit. Not always.
5. 2nd row could have had one latch to bring forward and fold down.
6. rear carpeting is the cheapest quality I have seen in over 10 cars I have experienced.
7. Painted interior plastic trim is easy to scratch and looks cheap. but easy to deal with
8. Cheap red sticker on toggle to indicate the lock/unlock position looks cheap.
9. Headrests dont have a tilt position/wife doesn't like it.
10. The car jumps fast with a little bit of gas on take off, and then doesn't get out of gear and has a dead zone at times. I have adapted, but still not 100%

That is about it.

Here is some point by point replies to the lists made....

I have had the Highlander for about a month now. I like a lot about it(way more than I dislike) It is the wife's daily vehicle but here is my list of things I don't like so far:

1. Panoramic Moon Roof takes two presses to Close fully- Stupid design
2. Noisy seat coolers- Seems like the fan is right behind my head when they are running at higher settings
3. Brown accents on my Black interior - don't mind the brown stitching in the leather seats but the other areas(dash tray and interior door grabs) shouldn't be brown in my opinion.
4. No digital Speedometer - C'mon Toyota
5. No Tire Pressure readout - C'mon Toyota
6. No HID/LED headlights on a platinum??? I plan to putting a kit in but for a $50k vehicle this day and age this should be standard..
7. No Remote Start - See above about headlights
8. Heated steering wheel should be fully heated- Spoiled by my previous jeep I guess
9. Start/Stop is the dumbest thing ever but we are stuck with this with all new vehicles I am afraid
That's it as far as I found so far.. Just little pet peeves but I do love the vehicle other than these few minor annoyances..
1. trim issue
2. trim issue
3. I felt the same way, hot weather state got me the gray leather with blue accents
4. meh
5. I know!
6. trim issue?
7. trim issue
8. trim issue
9. I know!
10 trim issue, hub caps.

-----
Stetson_GBR

I’ve had my Platinum for almost 3 weeks...

1). The center console opens when I rest my arm on it
2). I cannot plug my phone in via USB while using the Pandora app built into the vehicle, I have to open the app on my phone and use the Bluetooth input
3). I have windnoise from my panoramic moonroof while sitting still and having a cross wind (quiet while driving)
4). Remote start is worthless, has a range of less than 100 feet, WTH?
5). Agree on tire pressure being unavailable
6). Screen Off images do not rotate automatically, it can only store 3 which is also disappointing.
7) GPS estimated time is absurdly inaccurate. The drive home from the dealership said 9.5 hours on the car unit and 8.2 on the cell phone gps. That seems to be a constant inaccuracy
1. Hmm, maybe you lean and push down and slide back? Not had this issue.
2. I know! Entune sucks on all trims
3. Some wind noise issues, trim issue increases these issues.
4. trim options issue
5. I know!
6. see #2
7. see #2

-------------------
burban0428

3. Overboosted steering
1. meh
2. I know!
3. Good one, Slightly, yes I agree.
4. trim issue...I know!
5. trim issue (I hearz ya)
6. see #5
7. yeah, but they would not make them bright, so I dont mind changing them to bright ones myself.
8. DISAGREE. I prefer no struts. Safety issue, less parts to replace in long run, as they will fail at some point.
----------------------------------------
poker838

1 - sunroof - too many switches, too many sequences to fully close
2 - headlamps - no HIDs at this price point (Limited for Canada = Platinum for US)
3 - wheels - 19" chrometec wheels feel like they're made of cast iron. Doesn't help with ride comfort or handling and probably works against fuel economy goals. I put on 18s flowformed wheels for winter and they felt a good 30 lbs lighter EACH corner.
4 - navigation - cannot input while in motion
5 - seats - Memory presets cannot recalled while out of Park
6 - steering wheel - heated at 3 and 9 only??
7 - trunk - power hatch is unnecessarily slow
8 - automatic headlamps - takes 30 seconds to realize we're in a tunnel. Sample rate is just too long. However if you start up the car in the dark the headlamps fire up instantly. What gives? It's not a sensor or sensitivity problem, it just doesn't check fast enough.
9 - clock - on board clock not the same as the system time in the NAV. Redundant
10 - transmission - 8 speed programming is terrible. I get that it's hesitant to downshift, but I hate how it upshifts on turns. Always in the wrong gear when it comes time to get back on the throttle.
1. trim issue
2. trim issue... and I don't mind getting brighter better lights than OEM, so I rather have the option than have some lower worked in part I would likely replace anyway
3. trim issue!
4. I know! entune sucks in function and is good in GUI
5. trim issue
6. trim issue
7. trim issue
8. Check your setting options
9. Love my clock
10. I know
11. I know! that sucks
-------------------------------------

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Worry my transmission will go out after the power train warranty
2. Start and stop, there is a mandatory replacement of starter and vacuum. This is the dumbest idea ever, but great for mfr. It helps to sell car. Bad for people who owns their car over 10 years.
2B: lack of button to permanently disable this feature. Hope Toyota will help us out here.

3. center console: I have hard time opening it with my right hand and reach in to get stuffs while driving
4. weatherstrips on 4 doors near the bottom, all types of dirt and debris get stuck there. At the end of each car wash, I have to take a sponge, bucket of water, and a picking tool to get all the debris out. Never had this issue with other cars in the past including other Toyota. One of these days, I will post a picture.
5. headlamps
6. roof racks: I refer the traditional type where I can tie things up without the crossbar
7. android/apple displaying content to entertainment system. (lack of)

Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1. Worry my transmission will go out after the power train warranty
2. Start and stop, there is a mandatory replacement of starter and vacuum. This is the dumbest idea ever, but great for mfr. It helps to sell car. Bad for people who owns their car over 10 years.
2B: lack of button to permanently disable this feature. Hope Toyota will help us out here.

3. center console: I have hard time opening it with my right hand and reach in to get stuffs while driving
4. weatherstrips on 4 doors near the bottom, all types of dirt and debris get stuck there. At the end of each car wash, I have to take a sponge, bucket of water, and a picking tool to get all the debris out. Never had this issue with other cars in the past including other Toyota. One of these days, I will post a picture.
5. headlamps
6. roof racks: I refer the traditional type where I can tie things up without the crossbar
7. android/apple displaying content to entertainment system. (lack of)

Have I missed anything?
I know what your talking about with the mud/dirt on the bottom inside of the door. Really annoying. I found if I hold the hose under and spray up into there it cleans it out pretty good. I live on a muddy driveway so I deal with this a lot.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts