Toyota Nation Forum banner

201 - 220 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
TOTALLY agree with reading through the manual. . . . . .
A lot of these things you’d really have s hard time finding, though. For instance, after the Saharan dust storm passed through town I was think maybe we should changeour air filter early. I’ve looked and looked and there is no listing for “air filter” in the Index!
I have to agree with you. I have hunted for fairly mundane stuff in the Index of the OM and ... nothing! Some things I found by accident, others, well, I gave up because the subject was nowhere to be found in the manual. Instead, it is sometimes lumped in under some other random topic. :surprise:

When that happens and I finally find what I'm looking for, I write it in the index, noting the topic and page number, and making post-it note tabs if it is something I will refer to in the future.

·
7,762 Posts
The online version has the advantage of doing a search. I would think that works well for specific stuff. Sometimes you have to broaden the search idea. Reading the manual and playing with the instruments will have you stumble onto things that later will be of need.
Regardless, always feel free to post questions in this forum. After all, we are all here in this community to help.

And if you can just be honest about things, rather than claim you looked everywhere, or whatever (sometimes searching can be an art form)...even one who didn't, couldn't wouldn't, hadn't, can't, or won't search the manual...You are not the first, and won't be the last, so don't worry about it.

Example: Iwas doing my first oil change on this model in 2014. The 3rd gen forum was new, so not much info. But I found myself in Costco, and realized its a good time to get some oil to do the oil service myself. So I did a google search, and the car model being new, I couldn't not find something concrete. And I didn't even know there was an online manual.
So I posted in the forum, and I was able to verify with members help and got the right oil. Don't beat yourself up over it.

A great tool, specially now that the 3rd gen is mature and thriving with informative content and members....ADVANCED SEARCH.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/search.php?f=333

(Its that option below the Search tool on the top maroon bar on the right of the main 3rd Gen page.)

Be safe, loving, and always honest in our life of truth!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Searching even the downloaded manual can be problematic. I did a search on fob and got no results. Looked in the table of contents and found key and just followed that to be sure of battery type. Be ready for the manual to use different terminology than you have been using.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Like that idea, Andrew. Can you provide a URLfor a searchable online manual? I found a PDF but it can’t be searched.
Download the PDF and open it with Acrobat Reader (and I assume just about any other PDF reader) and you will be able to do searches.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Maybe a bad key fob, LGB? Our tailgate opens right up with a long hold on the button, even when locked.
LOL. So does everyone else’s evidently. Have tried it with both fobs with the same stupid results, two short beeps and nothing else happens! Luckily it’s not something that can’t wait for a normal service trip. Just annoying. Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most of these have probably been mentioned (I didn't read through every post). Just did a 1500 mile (round trip) road trip in my 2018 HL XLE and these are things I wasn't thrilled with.
None of these are deal breakers, or huge disappointments, but defiantly areas Toyota could improve on.

1. HEADRESTS! (this problem is with most newer vehicles) I'm 6' 4" and the "whiplash preventive" headrests push my head forward so far, that I'm unable to rest my upper back into the seat. It becomes very uncomfortable for my neck/shoulders on long drives. I solve this by removing and installing backwards, but then it's like having no headrest at all. I wish there were some additional adjustments to make the headrests more comfortable, especially for taller drivers.
2. Road Noise/engine drone is louder than I'd like at times.
3. Entune Premium system:
A. Have to open the Entune app on my phone before having access to the stereo's "Apps" feature.
B. Navigation system a little flaky... didn't pop up detailed info on upcoming express-way exits on a couple of occasions. Maps are a little dated (about 1 yr. old) and requires a dealer service to update. In this day and age, you should be able to connect to your home WiFi (or use a USB drive) to update maps (and firmware) without paying for service.
C. When you receive a text message, you have to touch the screen to ignore or read the message, or the pop-up will never go away, and there is no button on the steering wheel control for this.
D. While the Nav. isn't terrible, there's a large learning curve compared to other systems like Google Maps, Garmin, Tom-Tom, and Apple Maps, which all seem much more intuitive and familiar.
4. Handling isn't great, the vehicle isn't as responsive as I'd like and the feedback in the steering is non-existent. Just doesn't give me the level of confidence my other vehicles do.
5. Feels much bigger than it is from the driving position.
6. No option to default the auto start/stop engine feature to the off position.
7. Adaptive Cruise Control is a fuel hog on long road trip as the vehicle is constantly slowing (before I'm ready to change lanes) then speeding back up again. I know this isn't a Highlander issue (it's the technology) but I thought I'd mention it because I noticed a significant MPG difference while using Adaptive Cruise Control vs. traditional cruise control.

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
Here are a few I can list:

1.) Disappointed that Toyota decided not to offer LED or HID headlights for the top trim levels (Limited and Platinum.) They offer LED lights for the Sequoia, even the Prius and Corolla, but not for the Highlander?
Even the Sienna Limited trim offers HID.
2.) Wish the transmission had better response time to the throttle.
3.) Handling is "floaty" but it's no sports car so it's not a big deal.
4.) The tonneau (cargo) cover when used while having the third row seats down makes it look awkward so can't really use it unless I have the third row seats up.
5.) The Entune is okay.
6.) Sound system is almost non-existent. A constant problem with all Toyotas with JBL Premium system. My camry has it and it sucks. It sounds flatter with the Highlander, which is bigger and is no good.
7.) @rseward : The auto stop-start on mine has a button to turn it off. What trim level do you have?

That's about it. No real issues or deal breakers for me. It's more of a cruiser/family hauler for me so I hardly drive it as much since I drive my Camry as my daily and my wife drives the Rav4 as her daily.
I'm actually impressed with the gas mileage on the HL because it's a smudge better than my Camry XSE V6.

·
Registered
217 Posts
7.) @rseward : The auto stop-start on mine has a button to turn it off. What trim level do you have?
I have an 18’ XLE... it have the button to turn off the auto stop-start, but there’s no way to “default” to off. Each time you start the vehicle it “defaults” to the on position.
It’s not a big deal, but I’d like the ability to choose whether it’s off or on by default (at vehicle startup).

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
I have an 18’ XLE... it have the button to turn off the auto stop-start, but there’s no way to “default” to off. Each time you start the vehicle it “defaults” to the on position.
It’s not a big deal, but I’d like the ability to choose whether it’s off or on by default (at vehicle startup).
Really? Mine stays off regardless. Curious.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ll have to play with it again (wife’s car), but I did try to set it to off, then restarted the vehicle and it was on again. Maybe I did something wrong, I’ll try it this evening and update.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ll have to play with it again (wife’s car), but I did try to set it to off, then restarted the vehicle and it was on again. Maybe I did something wrong, I’ll try it this evening and update.
I did confirm that on my wife’s 2018 XLE the auto stop-start appears to default to the “ON” position.
I took it for a drive and confirmed that the auto stop-start was on and working, I then disabled it using the button on the dash and confirmed it was off. I pulled over, turned off the engine and restarted. After restarting, the dash light that indicates the auto stop-start feature is off was no longer lit, and I proceeded to drive and confirmed that the auto stop-start was indeed active again.

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
I did confirm that on my wife’s 2018 XLE the auto stop-start appears to default to the “ON” position.
I took it for a drive and confirmed that the auto stop-start was on and working, I then disabled it using the button on the dash and confirmed it was off. I pulled over, turned off the engine and restarted. After restarting, the dash light that indicates the auto stop-start feature is off was no longer lit, and I proceeded to drive and confirmed that the auto stop-start was indeed active again.
That is odd because when I first got my HL, I couldn't figure out why the S/S wasn't working. I guess I didn't press on the brakes hard enough to activate it on that first day.

Now that I look into the manual, it does state that the S/S will automatically turn back on after the car is turned back on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Only had our 2014 for a month....we.like it, but seems that when in the XM satellite mode, if I'm on say the 80's station (008) and I press the up button on the steering wheel, it changes the next preset, not the next highest station number, like changing to ("009).

Can this be setup to advance the station numbers?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My biggest gripes:

1. No HID/LED headlights. Come on, that should be standard by now, at least for the higher trims.
2. Powered rear lift gate opens very slowly.
2. Have to disable the start/stop every time I start the car. Contemplating buying the override kit that one of the members sells here, just don't want to hassle with the installation (removing panels, etc.). Alternatively, wish I could keep power mode memorized without having to set it every time I start the car. I currently have to do this to override start/stop.

201 - 220 of 302 Posts
About this Discussion
301 Replies
92 Participants
funman1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing