Toyota Nation Forum banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I’d like to see the ATC ramp up the fan speed about 2 clicks for 45 seconds after a warm engine start. Reason is if parked in hot weather for 5-10 min, the ATC sensor still thinks it’s cool, so the fan speed is real low. Same thing in the winter.
And hopefully Toyota will fix the system so air does not flow out of the 2 outboard dash registrars when the output control is in the “FLOOR” mode.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its been some time since a list of rants post....and I thought I would run through some of the points made and give my take on it.

I also have the LE, and have very few picky things I expected to be different as the base car and trim. It is a $28,000 SUV. All else you pay is for the trim, and I never found much of them worth it. In fact some major ones were a negative vs a upgrade worth paying for.
Like... the JBL sound system being #1 issue. Another was the plastic wheels, and I was already done with Limited, and was down to the XLE. No cloth seat option. For a 110F weather in summer climate, cloth is nice. So the only difference between the LE and XLE : power trunk was stupid slow, stereo was still unacceptable. and climate control was auto(I prefer manual controls), BUT had nicer wheels..whoopi. Save $8K and put in a real sound system with savings. Captain chairs were a negative for me and the reason for the HL "8seater" (theoretical) in the first place.

Safety features on the trim were useless to me as I am still alert and pay attention most of the time. Besides I would likely turn one of the features off for it bugging me, and then be pointless. When I hit 70 AND my senses are worn, or if I take up drinking while driving, I can find them useful. The point of the auto cruise control would be for traffic purposes, otherwise I don't see much a point. And it doesn't deliver here either. But I can see any of these features bring a smile to anyone that is willing to pay for it, and enjoy it.

So for the LE, I have a few, but they are small and they are not all functional.....

1. Entune and sound quality sucks across the range of trim levels.
2. Climate control changes from outside to recycle with cool to heat setting. Off knob is not on the Off position. No rear AC control from front.
3. Roof rails are only a 1 point mounting system as opposed to a other vastly versatile systems.
4. Seats jiggle a bit. Not always.
5. 2nd row could have had one latch to bring forward and fold down.
6. rear carpeting is the cheapest quality I have seen in over 10 cars I have experienced.
7. Painted interior plastic trim is easy to scratch and looks cheap. but easy to deal with
8. Cheap red sticker on toggle to indicate the lock/unlock position looks cheap.
9. Headrests dont have a tilt position/wife doesn't like it.
10. The car jumps fast with a little bit of gas on take off, and then doesn't get out of gear and has a dead zone at times. I have adapted, but still not 100%

That is about it.

Here is some point by point replies to the lists made....

1. trim issue
2. trim issue
3. I felt the same way, hot weather state got me the gray leather with blue accents
4. meh
5. I know!
6. trim issue?
7. trim issue
8. trim issue
9. I know!
10 trim issue, hub caps.

-----
Stetson_GBR

1. Hmm, maybe you lean and push down and slide back? Not had this issue.
2. I know! Entune sucks on all trims
3. Some wind noise issues, trim issue increases these issues.
4. trim options issue
5. I know!
6. see #2
7. see #2

-------------------

1. meh
2. I know!
3. Good one, Slightly, yes I agree.
4. trim issue...I know!
5. trim issue (I hearz ya)
6. see #5
7. yeah, but they would not make them bright, so I dont mind changing them to bright ones myself.
8. DISAGREE. I prefer no struts. Safety issue, less parts to replace in long run, as they will fail at some point.
----------------------------------------

1. trim issue
2. trim issue... and I don't mind getting brighter better lights than OEM, so I rather have the option than have some lower worked in part I would likely replace anyway
3. trim issue!
4. I know! entune sucks in function and is good in GUI
5. trim issue
6. trim issue
7. trim issue
8. Check your setting options
9. Love my clock
10. I know
11. I know! that sucks
-------------------------------------
Phil;

Our XLE was 34k even. I love the simulated leather interior, sliding hole in the roof, and the extra sound proofing that makes the interior quiet. Front and rear air is nice and the power gate is great for anyone not into athletics for the grab and pull competition. Love the aluminum wheel style. Better than most custom designs. Rear hatch window is a crowd pleaser which if your former vehicle had one you would find it mandatory. 34k Isn't a huge price tag for the quality / features we found as we looked at other makes. One can find annoyances with anything but over all Toyota knocked this one out of the park. I know everyone needs headlamps that light up the adjacent county but stock units seem fine as I don't drive mach 3. We added running boards for passenger safety as it is a bit high for many to jump in. Storage area volume is great ( holds a full size go cart with a Corvette body ) and towing ability is out of this world. It replaced my 3/4 ton Chevrolet truck as our car hauler.
As mentioned not everyone can be satisfied. At the value what SUV comes close ????

·
7,749 Posts
Our XLE was 34k even.

1. I love the simulated leather interior,
2. sliding hole in the roof,
3. The extra sound proofing that makes the interior quiet.
4. Front and rear air is nice
5. The power gate is great for anyone not into athletics for the grab and pull competition.
6. Love the aluminum wheel style. Better than most custom designs.
7. Rear hatch window is a crowd pleaser which if your former vehicle had one you would find it mandatory.
8. 34k Isn't a huge price tag for the quality / features we found as we looked at other makes.
9. One can find annoyances with anything but over all Toyota knocked this one out of the park.
10. I know everyone needs headlamps that light up the adjacent county but stock units seem fine as I don't drive mach 3.
11. We added running boards for passenger safety as it is a bit high for many to jump in.
12. Storage area volume is great ( holds a full size go cart with a Corvette body )
13. towing ability is out of this world. It replaced my 3/4 ton Chevrolet truck as our car hauler. As mentioned not everyone can be satisfied. At the value what SUV comes close ????

You got a good deal, and I think the XLE IS the sweet spot.
Let me address your list for fun from my perspective :)

1. Subjective, until you live in SoCal...But then again, there are people here who will get black on black with leather...That is LA for ya!
2. Sunroof is always nice. Most of my cars had them, yet it wears off ...UNTIL that drive on the coast!! :)
3. There is no extra sound proofing on the XLE, at least to 2016, as we have a member with XLE that did the sound proofing for his car. Not even the Limited has more sound proofing.Maybe something to compensate for sunroof breach?
4. LE has front and rear air..Just not elec temp controlled. For me useless.
5. I agree this is surely handy 1 out of 10 times, which maybe enough. And I also agree, when I first got it, it was stiff!, But within a few months it got much easier(or I gained muscle mass,jk) . There are times I wish I had it. BUT, 9 out of 10, I need it closed NOW, and be done. Not watch it as a I walk away with my stuff exposed to public inside. This was more important.
6. I agree, and why I swapped mine to the XLE. They are also much better than the Limited wheels, IMO.
7. My explorer had it, and it was nice...I actually thought this had it when I bought it, then realized it didn't. But honestly, I have YET to think I wish I had it. I can see the convenience for a auto lift hatch, or in general to get something small, or prevent something to roll out. But really, less needed than I thought.
8. It is a Great price for what you get. Minus the stereo.
9. I agree, and why we baught it.
10. I need to see if I can reflect light off the moon, as I dont think the sun is creating that light. It might be my HIDs
11. Had no issue, even with my 5yo. For adults, it hinders entry...or takes getting used it.
12. I really like it. Still wish a 1 lever fold down would be nice, but. No problems.
13. This is where the AWD comes handy, and great for all trims.

Enjoy yuour posts! Cheers!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've come to the conclusion I really don't like my nav system. This past weekend I was in Buffalo, NY picking up family at the Amtrak station for a Niagara Falls visit. Knowing we would be in and out of Canada for the weekend and our trip home, I didn't want to buy gas in Canada so, since we were early for their train arrival (did I say it was Amtrak?), I asked the GPS for directions to a Mobil station. 3 times, 3 TIMES, the stupid GPS took me to a place where there was no Mobil station, no GAS station, or any evidence there had been a gas station there since cars were invented. The last time, I could even predict no joy because it looked on the map like the destination was in a residential area. It was. 3 strikes and I was out of patience and in the mood for a little vehicle abuse👍

·
Registered
530 Posts
For anyone thinking about getting a Highlander, this video is a good brief and quite accurate description in my opinion.

·
Registered
405 Posts
For anyone thinking about getting a Highlander, this video is a good brief and quite accurate description in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGA0rJwF-4
So, so.
I think he has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to third row and trunk.
Trunk is 42.5 cu ft with second row up. It is small for that class. There is no any other way around. Before I looked ever into minivan I was checking HL, and trunk was biggest issue I had with it. It was only 5 cu ft bigger than BMW X5 I had, and it ain't BMW.
Third row is HORRIBLE! To say it is bit smaller is understatement of colossal proportions. Literally every competitor has far bigger third row. It is fine, Toyota made that decision, but it is a fact. It is small, and pretty much only for small kids. My wife is 5ft, and she felt uncomfortable there. Basically she said: yeah, maybe short trips around city. That was no for us as we plan three kids and than family comes to visit etc.
If one does not need third row or utilitarian trunk, yes. But, I think for family and long trips, there are much better options, precisely bcs of trunk size and third row space.
I am hitting road on Thursday to Dallas, TX, and right now, there is now ay I would be able to pack all this shit in HL without roof box.

·
Registered
530 Posts
So, so.
I think he has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to third row and trunk.
Trunk is 42.5 cu ft with second row up. It is small for that class. There is no any other way around. Before I looked ever into minivan I was checking HL, and trunk was biggest issue I had with it. It was only 5 cu ft bigger than BMW X5 I had, and it ain't BMW.
Third row is HORRIBLE! To say it is bit smaller is understatement of colossal proportions. Literally every competitor has far bigger third row. It is fine, Toyota made that decision, but it is a fact. It is small, and pretty much only for small kids. My wife is 5ft, and she felt uncomfortable there. Basically she said: yeah, maybe short trips around city. That was no for us as we plan three kids and than family comes to visit etc.
If one does not need third row or utilitarian trunk, yes. But, I think for family and long trips, there are much better options, precisely bcs of trunk size and third row space.
I am hitting road on Thursday to Dallas, TX, and right now, there is now ay I would be able to pack all this shit in HL without roof box.
Would you please sell your Toyota and buy something else and stop having an opinion on a vehicle you don't own, a test drive is not living with a vehicle, it could be good on a test drive and a pain to live with, like a Sienna :smile:
The guys points are good based on a brief time with the vehicle . All the 3rd row seats in any of these vehicles are going to be less than desirable because it's a seat that has to fold out of a floor and access is limited because of the door configuration.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Would you please sell your Toyota and buy something else and stop having an opinion on a vehicle you don't own, a test drive is not living with a vehicle, it could be good on a test drive and a pain to live with, like a Sienna :smile:
The guys points are good based on a brief time with the vehicle . All the 3rd row seats in any of these vehicles are going to be less than desirable because it's a seat that has to fold out of a floor and access is limited because of the door configuration.
Did you actually drive Honda Pilot, VW Atlas etc? Atlas has genuine seats in the third row. I as 6.2 footer can comfortably sit there. Can you please stop distorting FACTS around HL. It has small third row seat as well as trunk, COMPARED to other vehicles in that class. It has 42.5cu ft. It does not magically turn itself into 55 cu ft just because you own vehicle.
There are people that like that size of HL, and that is fine. But, he is assuming that everyone who has family and needs around it is going to be fine. First, it is ridiculous to make video after owning vehicle five days. It is more overconfidence and narcissism to post something on Youtube and get some likes. So, since you posted recommendation, I am also saying what is problem with HL when it comes to small kids and everything that goes with having small kids.
And stop pretending it is Lexus. It is raised up Camry.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Did you actually drive Honda Pilot, VW Atlas etc? Atlas has genuine seats in the third row. I as 6.2 footer can comfortably sit there. Can you please stop distorting FACTS around HL. It has small third row seat as well as trunk, COMPARED to other vehicles in that class. It has 42.5cu ft. It does not magically turn itself into 55 cu ft just because you own vehicle.
There are people that like that size of HL, and that is fine. But, he is assuming that everyone who has family and needs around it is going to be fine. First, it is ridiculous to make video after owning vehicle five days. It is more overconfidence and narcissism to post something on Youtube and get some likes. So, since you posted recommendation, I am also saying what is problem with HL when it comes to small kids and everything that goes with having small kids.
And stop pretending it is Lexus. It is raised up Camry.
Why would I drive those, I know what I want and I get it, if someone wants a VW they test drive it to verify, the prospective highlander buyer will have formed an opinion that it is worth looking at and then test drive. I did not buy the highlander to seat 7, I would buy a van for that.If I had to seat 7 in a pinch , it will do it, but to buy a bloated atlas or pilot to seat 7 when a minivan would be better is pointless, that is why Honda is onto a potential winner with the passport. I have no problem with the HL being based on a camry, it has been a proven performer for many years, with the global platform that Toyota and other manufacturers are going with most vehicles will be based on another. Except for the first Lexus , the LS 400 in which Toyota poured its virtual soul into, almost every other Lexus is mostly a Toyota with increased Sound proofing and better interior materials and tech.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why would I drive those, I know what I want and I get it, if someone wants a VW they test drive it to verify, the prospective highlander buyer will have formed an opinion that it is worth looking at and then test drive. I did not buy the highlander to seat 7, I would buy a van for that.If I had to seat 7 in a pinch , it will do it, but to buy a bloated atlas or pilot to seat 7 when a minivan would be better is pointless, that is why Honda is onto a potential winner with the passport. I have no problem with the HL being based on a camry, it has been a proven performer for many years, with the global platform that Toyota and other manufacturers are going with most vehicles will be based on another. Except for the first Lexus , the LS 400 in which Toyota poured its virtual soul into, almost every other Lexus is mostly a Toyota with increased Sound proofing and better interior materials and tech.
So my response was that there is an issue around characterization of HL trunk and space, and I sad for some people that might be OK (like you) but not for large families HE WAS REFERRING TO.
Yet, you managed to turn around yourself thinking that because you find vehicle practical for YOUR needs, other people must find it practical. Video is not about you!
As for "bloated" vehicles. Honda packs less weight than HL, and it is bigger, and Atlas packs same weight and it is much bigger. I do agree that there is no point in buying these vehicles as family vehicles (including HL). Minivans are far more practical. Problem is that this is now trend, and people go for trendy vehicles. He is right that HL will hold resale value (not sure why someone would buy vehicle for second owner, but whatever). When I was buying Sienna equally equipped HL, same year, same mileage was $5,000 more. Got same vehicle, but more practical for $5,000 less.
And no, LS400 is not better soundproofed Toyota.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2019 HL Limited feels like the transmission is searching for the right gear at times. Would like a little more pep.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 2019 HL Limited feels like the transmission is searching for the right gear at times. Would like a little more pep.
That is because there are a lot of gear and it is programmed for maximum mpg. Also, peak torque in 2019 is at 4,700rpms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
being a canadian, the complete lockout from updating entune and maps is my biggest beef. i'm disappointed by the cargo--can't fit my bicycles in without taking seat off--but really, not allowing a paid customer to maintain an up to date db of artists and maps without shelling out $250 (quoted by dealership) is a joke. i believe our neighbors to the south are able to do this for free?

it's time we replace our second car and the highlander would have been right up there except for this disappointment. shopping elsewhere now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
being a canadian, the complete lockout from updating entune and maps is my biggest beef. i'm disappointed by the cargo--can't fit my bicycles in without taking seat off--but really, not allowing a paid customer to maintain an up to date db of artists and maps without shelling out $250 (quoted by dealership) is a joke. i believe our neighbors to the south are able to do this for free?

it's time we replace our second car and the highlander would have been right up there except for this disappointment. shopping elsewhere now.
Maps in US are not free. Have to pay for the update as well

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've come to the conclusion I really don't like my nav system. This past weekend I was in Buffalo, NY picking up family at the Amtrak station for a Niagara Falls visit. Knowing we would be in and out of Canada for the weekend and our trip home, I didn't want to buy gas in Canada so, since we were early for their train arrival (did I say it was Amtrak?), I asked the GPS for directions to a Mobil station. 3 times, 3 TIMES, the stupid GPS took me to a place where there was no Mobil station, no GAS station, or any evidence there had been a gas station there since cars were invented. The last time, I could even predict no joy because it looked on the map like the destination was in a residential area. It was. 3 strikes and I was out of patience and in the mood for a little vehicle abuse👍
Let Waze be your friend next time you need navigation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) Wind noise at highway speeds.
2) Adaptive cruise control disengages once you get to low speeds.
3) Automatic braking only works if there is at 30km/hr difference between the car in front of you.
4) Steering assist is very weak. In Contrast a Honda CRV with steering assist will basically drive your car until it prompts you to put your hands on the wheel about every 15 seconds.
5) Auto stop/start feature can't be disabled. Only option is to turn it off every time you start.

To be fair its still an amazing vehicle.

·
Registered
405 Posts
1) Wind noise at highway speeds.
2) Adaptive cruise control disengages once you get to low speeds.
3) Automatic braking only works if there is at 30km/hr difference between the car in front of you.
4) Steering assist is very weak. In Contrast a Honda CRV with steering assist will basically drive your car until it prompts you to put your hands on the wheel about every 15 seconds.
5) Auto stop/start feature can't be disabled. Only option is to turn it off every time you start.

To be fair its still an amazing vehicle.
4. This is what puzzles me in all family vehicles, and that is steering feedback. I never thought about it before actually owning family vehicles (in this case Toyota SIenna). Both HL and Sienna have same steering feel, there is absolutely no difference. WHen I bought vehicle I was like: well, did not expect anything, so yeah, non-existant steering feedback makes sense. Did not amke anything out of it. Well, first time my 2 year old did something in the back, I turn around to see what is it, and then turned back my eyes on the road, and found myself wearing off the the lane. Whether my left hand slightly moved super-light steering or something on the road made vehicle moved (and it is FWD based chassis that is super heavy in the nose) I did not get anything back to feel what is happening. Then it dawn on me how important actually steering feel is on these vehicles, but it is non-existent pretty much among all of them in this class (except Mazda and VW).
So yeah, I found that those aids help, unfortunately mine does not have lane departure assist. I do not expect Toyota will suddenly offer steering like in Alfa Romeo or BMW, so clearly that is the problem if it is too weak.
5. In order for manufacturer to get EPA credit, start/stop cannot be disabled.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts
About this Discussion
301 Replies
92 Participants
funman1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing