Toyota Nation Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Door

my Hybrid has 2 issues at ~13K mile
- Honk died
- Door to open gas pump slow to open at times will NOT open, have to start the veh and turn it off and retry. Why can't toyota remove this electronic part, make a mechanical. I can pull the door open to access the gas.

Open hatch, there is a door on the left. Open to manually release gas cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is it that I don't like about my 17 HL?

1. $48K for a box that doesn't have LED headlights. Reliability, reliability...should over come this problem.
2. Sunroof warning come on 30 seconds later after door is open. I'm already 2 miles from the car by the time warning come on. VERY STUPID
3. Voice recognition is a joke and the worst out of others manufactures I have uses.
4. Start/Stop enable by default... this is the dumbest and useless thing on this car. Should be off by default.
5. Premium JBL doesn't sound premium at all for $48K ride. Very flat with little bass or treble. Equalizer doesn't seem to do anything.
6. No TPMS reading which is helpful when inflating tires while a $20K car had this option. Very sad.
7. 3.5" screen is full of USELESS features with only compass with street name display plus MPH limit seem useful. And why would anyone look at a 3.5" LCD when they have 10" inches in the center for NAV? A projected HUD would be more reasonable for that.
8. 3rd row should have a release latch instead of a cheap rope.
9. Hood weight a ton and should have hydraulic. If anyone need a workout the hood is a good start.
10. Rear hatch door take a light year to open/close and should have a bumper kick open with this kind of price. Reliability...reliability....repeat.
11. Arm/Disarm beeping sound sounded like a grass hopper is dying. Barely hear it if I walks few feet away.
12. Every time when I waited at a red light and shift to manual to see what gear I'm in and there it is... in 4 gear. Would 2nd gear be much better?
13. Center console sometimes would open if I rest my arm on it.
14. Hard to plug in USB cable without pushing few buttons like "Down Hill & 4x4 lock". No ambient light so at night forget it, that goes with the rear plug too.
15. Chromatic wheels? This must be accounting department came up with the name. Wheels are are cover with PLASTIC COVER.
16. Toyota use BFGood Bridge rolling resistance tires on my SUV so I can get .0000001 mile out of a gallon. After 20K put a penny and say hello Lincoln, I meant Hello to Franklin Benjamin.

No car is perfect but when I keep hearing commercial after commercial every single day when I drove home from work on the radio. Tomorrow technology today bring to you by Toyota. What tomorrow technology? I don't see it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The mainstream model of this vehicle is really the LE and for that one gets a relatively well built, rather modestly equipped mid-sized ( by American standards, large anywhere else) SUV with a refined drivetrain.The XLE (my somewhat irrational choice) is a limited to any realistic minded person where one gets some extra stuff that although nice , is not totally necessary. The limited and hybrid versions are basically a ripoff with this vehicle, be warned, spend that sort of money on something else, a lexus RX350 perhaps or other brand. Every vehicle trim has a point of over capitalisation and the HL is getting close with the XLE in my opinion and definitely at any trim over that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
12. Every time when I waited at a red light and shift to manual to see what gear I'm in and there it is... in 4 gear. Would 2nd gear be much better?
When you shift to manual, the gear displayed is the highest gear available at that time, 4th. Not your current gear, which would be 1st. Press the shifter forward repeatedly and the number will move to 5,6..and up sequentially to allow for a higher top gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will point out minor issues i see that are not linked to trim ( SE vs Limited or LP).
  1. Navigation - voice recognition after training it still doesn't pick up address instructions. no manual input of addres while in motion.
  2. Because the Navigation is not up to par, I wish Android Auto was available I would only use it for the Google Maps/Waze.
  3. 3rd row seats are too low to the deck. Could be raised a little ( like Subaru Ascent Yes when choosing HL over Subaru Ascent, we realized we were sacrificing 3rd row room for Highlander look, reliability & overall practicality. Was concerned with CVT boxer 2.4L turbo in Ascent. ( cost of ownership ect..) Cant go wrong with reliable 3.5L V6
  4. Rear view auto dimming mirror seems to always be dimmed.
  5. Backup camera only available when while in reverse. Wife uses it to pull into garage,
  6. Tire pressure monitoring not available
  7. Roof rack. having raised rails allow tie down. options.
  8. Auto Eco Mode & Auto Start/stop enabled by default and have to disable Auto Start/stop & enable power mode every time
Minor dislikes/ inconveniences
  1. Life-gate slow, but tolerable with the rear window having the option to open. 2020 eliminates the option to open rear lift-gate window. Hopefully the rear lift-gate in 2020 opens faster.
  2. Would like trajectory lines with backup camera - this may be offered in higher trims.
  3. Deeper cup holder, wider door bottle holders
  4. No USB C or wireless charging.
  5. No interior LED in SE trim ( I have already upgraded all interior light with exception of vanity mirror.
  • Love the look of the SE trim, Blacked Wheels & grill. Did not like all the chrome in the Limited & LP
  • Turn by turn in the middle smart display is nice.makes up for not having heads up display.
  • Clean dash lines. The Etune blends nicely with the lines of the dash. Doesn't stick awkwardly above the dash line. Newer Nav systems look like a tablet stuck into the top of the dash.
  • Rear lift gate window that opens
  • Roomy first & second rows
  • Dash shelf with pass through cable management.
  • Engine reliability

·
Registered
673 Posts
  • A lot of those are related to trim, the upgrades that come with a higher trim are not worth the higher price, either they are not useful or don't work well. The upgrades in my XLE that are worth it to me are the leather seats(to my surprise not slippery or too hot or cold depending on weather and easy to keep clean and not perforated!) , bigger infotainment screen, fog lights and lift up rear glass. The power hatch slowness does not bother me too much but the noise level the lift arms make leads me to believe they are cheaply engineered and could be prone to premature failure.This vehicle does not disappoint in its basic engineering, that is what Toyota is good at, but some of the add ons seem built to price a rather cheap price.

·
Registered
396 Posts
To all those who think the power lift gate opens too slow - how much extra does it really take compared to other makes? maybe 5 seconds or even less? Are you really that impatient? What would you do with all that extra time? Sleep in an extra 5 seconds? 🙂

I don't know this to be a fact but I think it might be true. Could be the engineers at Toyota determined that the slower opening puts less strain on the mechanism resulting in better reliability. Power lift gates are probably one of the first things to break down once a vehicle starts getting a few years old and out of warranty.

EDIT - put some clips together for Highlander, Murano and Pilot. Highlander is 9 secs and the other two are just over 6 secs - so only a 3 sec advantage,

·
Registered
127 Posts
The mainstream model of this vehicle is really the LE and for that one gets a relatively well built, rather modestly equipped mid-sized ( by American standards, large anywhere else) SUV with a refined drivetrain.The XLE (my somewhat irrational choice) is a limited to any realistic minded person where one gets some extra stuff that although nice , is not totally necessary. The limited and hybrid versions are basically a ripoff with this vehicle, be warned, spend that sort of money on something else, a lexus RX350 perhaps or other brand. Every vehicle trim has a point of over capitalisation and the HL is getting close with the XLE in my opinion and definitely at any trim over that.
I would have to agree to disagree as we have a HiHy Limited Platinum and could not be happier. Of course I should I prrcede that with the caveat that we are moving up from a 2001 Odyssey so quite a change for the better. Or maybe it’s that unlike many I see complaining on this site we did our due diligence and really checked everything out and all our options before choosing our the Highlander. I could nitpick a few things like the double tap necessary to completely close the moon roof but all in all we are extremely happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had my 2019 for 3 months now. Hybrid Platinum. Its a nice car. I don't like that they took away the tire air pressure monitoring (my 2008 had this) The GPS is really clunky. I'm still confused at the mpg after reset. when I reset the ECO display, that resets my mpg even though I haven't reset it (as i do after fill up) The ECO bar graphs don't display current until you update it...seems to kind of defeat the purpose. Wish the heated steering wheel was ALL of it. All the crap around the rearview mirror is useless (for me) -I turn the wipers on when I need them, not when some automation thinks I should..humidity detector? plleelzzesss I can take care of that myself too. All in all its a fine car...I suppose anyone could nitpick anything.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd
822 Posts
Ehh All newer vehicles are required by law to have TPMS monitoring. So your vehicle has it....
Was probably a reference to display of individual tire pressures. Nice feature on vehicles that have it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ehh All newer vehicles are required by law to have TPMS monitoring. So your vehicle has it....
For TPMS I assume he’s talking real-time tire pressure instead of just waiting for a warning light to tell you something is wrong. I too wish there was a readout of the actual tire pressure. We picked up a nail in one tire and didn’t even know there was a problem until it was too low to drive on and the warning light came on. If I had known it was losing air I could’ve had it repaired before ending up with a flat tire in a restaurant parking lot.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had my 2019 for 3 months now. Hybrid Platinum. Its a nice car. I don't like that they took away the tire air pressure monitoring (my 2008 had this)
The information is there - just isn't being displayed.

I installed this app on my phone that lets me access the info:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hybridassistant.tire&hl=en_US

Only caveats are:

1. You'll need an high quality OBD adapter to use the app

2. Only displays info when stopped - probably a safety thing

3. Only for android phones

https://tireassistant.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
The information is there - just isn't being displayed.

I installed this app on my phone that lets me access the info:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hybridassistant.tire&hl=en_US

Only caveats are:

1. You'll need an high quality OBD adapter to use the app

2. Only displays info when stopped - probably a safety thing

3. Only for android phones

https://tireassistant.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this. Which ODB2 adaptor do you use? I have the Carista one... Haven't used it in a year or three...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

301 - 320 of 320 Posts