Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 302 Posts

·
7,762 Posts
Mine is missing two cylinders and 100 hp.

Sounds like a dealership issue. I would demand a trade in!
:)

On another note...
I forgot to add to my list (I'll update it)...
I think the thinner paint and thinner paneling is another thing I might not care for, Specially the paint ...or maybe the quality is something the years will prove to be great?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree with many points - cheap, easily scratched plastic, half-heated wheel (WHY?), jiggly captain’s chairs, no HID headlights (which, in fairness, I knew when I purchased)

One that really bothers me and my wife is around smart key locking. When exiting the car with multiple people, the driver must wait for all doors to be closed before touching the lock portion of the handle. If it’s touched before everyone is out of the car, there’s a lot of beeping and nothing happens. On my other car, a BMW, I can touch the lock portion of the handle and walk away without waiting for everyone. The driver’s door locks immediately but the rest of the doors won’t lock (and the car won’t give the confirmation chirp) until everyone else has closed their doors. Once the last door closes, all doors lock and the car chirps. This is the way it should work!! We’ve had the BMW for five years and there are no drawbacks to the approach that we’ve been able to detect.

Are we the only ones irritated by the Highlander making you wait to lock?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Coming from a venza that had this, there are two features that are absent in the HL that I would have really liked to have. 1. Power retracting side mirrors. Very handy in a big wide car.
2. Auto easy entry power seats that pull back to give you easy room to enter and exit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Coming from a venza that had this, there are two features that are absent in the HL that I would have really liked to have. 1. Power retracting side mirrors. Very handy in a big wide car.
2. Auto easy entry power seats that pull back to give you easy room to enter and exit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Right about the mirrors. Parking in narrow spots, concrete underground garage, I had them on my Traverse this one replaced.

One trick I use in some vehicles is to program setting number two as an exit. I hit number 2 and the seat goes all the way back, lowers, and the steering wheel moves up and out of the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Buyers Remorse ? Should have kept what I had ? I go through this every time I sell, or trade. i agree with you guys, except, are these issues noticed before driving off the dealers lot ? I am sure none of the complaints will change the trade in, or sale value. My wife has zero complaints for the 2018 XLE-AWD.

I have driven it a total of 28.8 miles, dealer to home. Ordered it, she is happy, that is all I care about, my Toyota pickup has window noise, rides a little rough, hauls everything, bad mpg, can go to the lumber yard, Lowes or Home Depot, by itself, knows the way, no complaints. :) Power retracting mirrors are available on BMW, Mercedes.

I recently asked her, what she likes best about it. Her answer, she does not have to push a button to unlock on the drivers side, if she has the key in her purse.
Just pull the dh, it auto opens. If I knew these new Highlanders had all the issues discussed here, I would have bought a Yugo.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Guys, unfortunately Toyota doesn't care about your rants... they sold 215,775 HLs in US last year, so who cares about LED or speedometer display... after all, their software guys are all busy fixing the Entune bugs. :wink:
Makes one wonder why someone would buy a vehicle that they have so many dislikes about! My first thought is maybe they missed something during their due diligence but naw, couldn’t be that. Stupid Toyota engineers.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Agree with many points - cheap, easily scratched plastic, half-heated wheel (WHY?), jiggly captain’s chairs, no HID headlights (which, in fairness, I knew when I purchased)

One that really bothers me and my wife is around smart key locking. When exiting the car with multiple people, the driver must wait for all doors to be closed before touching the lock portion of the handle. If it’s touched before everyone is out of the car, there’s a lot of beeping and nothing happens. On my other car, a BMW, I can touch the lock portion of the handle and walk away without waiting for everyone. The driver’s door locks immediately but the rest of the doors won’t lock (and the car won’t give the confirmation chirp) until everyone else has closed their doors. Once the last door closes, all doors lock and the car chirps. This is the way it should work!! We’ve had the BMW for five years and there are no drawbacks to the approach that we’ve been able to detect.

Are we the only ones irritated by the Highlander making you wait to lock?
My 2012 camry is like this too but I am used to it now. If I don't want to wait to press the door handle sensor I just walk away and lock with the fob once everyone has closed the doors...but with the camry I have to keep my fingers crossed that they actually lock as I am having door lock actuator problems with that right now. Hoping Toyota doesn't still use the same ones in the newer Highlander as it is a common problem with a lot of Toyotas..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Makes one wonder why someone would buy a vehicle that they have so many dislikes about! My first thought is maybe they missed something during their due diligence but naw, couldn’t be that. Stupid Toyota engineers.
Lol.. I bought mine knowing all of my complaints other than the tire air pressure not having a read out inside the vehicle. See.. 6 years ago, I took a chance and bought a FCA Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited LOADED with all the bells and whistles(even the ones missing on my 6 year newer HL such as BI xenon auto leveling HIDs, Fully heated steering wheel, remote start from factory(which automatically activated heated seats/wheel and heating or cooled seats/AC dependent on outside temps) to name a few) but guess who ended up back with a Toyota and Toyota knows this, and likes to take forever to add features that other brands have had for years because like someone said above, they will still sell what they make whether its missing features or not. And the people who go with the other brands like me, will be back unless they luck out with reliability which I doubt lol.. PS.. I do think the engineers are stupid for the way the Pano roof closes :rofl:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with most everything here. My biggest annoyance by far used to be the sound quality of the JBL Entune system. But since upgrading the front speakers I'm happy with it. Overall I don't like the Entune system with it's many quirks and bugs.

I'll add:
Radar cruise control causes vehicle to brake at an alarming rate when another vehicle in front and to the right exits highway.
Auto high beams that don't always react quick enough to oncoming vehicles, or switch to low on reflections from signs, etc.
Steering Assist on with lane departure alert gives odd added power assist feeling to the steering under normal driving.
Buttons to the right of the NAV screen cumbersome to reach.
Lack of lighting by front USB ports.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you have zero annoyances with your car then good for you but there are some design choices that are clearly for cost cutting reasons. Every vehicle has it's cons but I think most of us own the HL because the list of pros far outweighs the cons. Also, sometimes you discover quirks after driving the car for an extended period of time after the honeymoon new car phase wears off.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Definitely some of my gripes were discovered after a couple months. I've never had a car that didn't have something that I didn't like. If only I could take the highlander, then steal a couple things from the pilot and cx-9 then I could make what I would call the perfect vehicle. But in the end the highlander had by far the most pros and that's why we have it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Unless you're paying north of $200k - there isn't a car out there that doesn't have cost cutting design choices. NOT ONE.
I didn't realize LED or HID headlights were only expected at that price point. Oh wait...

Sure these are "luxuries" and if you have a base model, you don't expect any of this, but at the price point of Limited and Platinum it'd be nice to see some of these "luxuries", like factory LED/HID, available. Furthermore, these standard in 20k cars these days. Sure I could go aftermarket, but there are somethings I like better from the factory, headlights are one of them.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Unless you're paying north of $200k - there isn't a car out there that doesn't have cost cutting design choices. NOT ONE.
I'd have to sell my house to do that lol.. no thanks..maybe if I ever win the lotto that I don't play I would buy a 200k car :rofl2:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn't realize LED or HID headlights were only expected at that price point. Oh wait...

Sure these are "luxuries" and if you have a base model, you don't expect any of this, but at the price point of Limited and Platinum it'd be nice to see some of these "luxuries", like factory LED/HID, available. Furthermore, these standard in 20k cars these days. Sure I could go aftermarket, but there are somethings I like better from the factory, headlights are one of them.
Yup ^^.. For a mere $18,600 bare bones Corolla you can have LED headlights....

·
Registered
310 Posts
I get what he's saying, but I think most of our options complaints are reasonable at the 40-45k+ range, especially since these are just parts bin stuff found standard elsewhere in the lineup/competitors. I mean it's not like I'm wanting semi-aniline leather and 28 way power seats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a good one regarding to power folding side mirrors, especially for people with tight spaces like us.
To add to that, I wish our side mirrors would automatically lower when our car is in reversed. I found myself manually (with joystick of course) lowering a mirror when doing parallel parking. Love that feature in the GS350 (lexus)

However, that's why they have the Limited with around camera. I am sure Toyota has thought about that.

Regarding to complaints on headlamps. The problem I see is 99% of the test drives are done during daytime. So no one will be able to see how poor these lights are before making a purchase. I bet Toyota would fix that (for free) if buyers are walking away during test drives. Lets hope future car review (Motortrend/Car and Driver)in the future would include headlamp rating.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I would be willing to bet the 4th Gen Highlander will have most of what we gripe about after seeing the latest Camry, Avalon, Corolla Hatch, and Rav 4's...Seems Toyota is stepping up its game adding some things we wish for such as LED lights, Apple Car play etc. They will just wait until the next redesign of the HL to add them I would imagine..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh for sure. In the grand scheme of things, these cars are their bread and butter and pretty much sell themselves. Toyota doesn't need to change a thing and they'll still sell like hotcakes!

21 - 40 of 302 Posts
About this Discussion
301 Replies
92 Participants
funman1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing