Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well reading on about bondo in this forum made me question what is bondo. I was at local car shop and i saw bondo. Bondo is a name brand meaning there are diffrent things but everything just refers to bondo as bondo.

I saw tubs of bondo for car dents. People mention that bondo can fill in holes and other stuff to. I just dont really understand how. When i first heard bondo, i thought of it as super glue for cars. which i understand bondo can be use for as well. Can someone just summarize what bondo can do? How is it done ?
Which sort of bondo is good for what job.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
basically, it's just body filler. It's real purpose is to fill in imperfections in bodywork, like the seam of a weld. However, it's also used in ghetto repairs in much larger quantities.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
yeah so lets say you have a hail storm. And the hail leaves MANY little tiny dents in your hood. Instead of getting a new hood. You sand it down, bondo it up. Sanding it down to where the little dents are filled in. And then sand the hood smooth. THen paint it over and it should be good as new.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have some on my front bumper to cover up a hole the preveous owner made.

Wow, I just realized I bought my car from the original owner :thumbup:

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
when i made my grille it filled the huge gap that was made when i removed the center emblem...then i bought a different kind of bondo for featheredging it...great stuff...no horror stories...jus make sure you dont get too much on your hands and clothes (it has a hard time coming off) and u must work fast!!!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
horror story? my ex bondoed a hood scoop to her hood. it's a WRX style scoop...and supposedly it looks better now...but when she originally did it, there was literally an INCH of bondo under the scoop...and it cracked within a week of her doing it.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^Of course it cracked, your not supposed to cake on bondo.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
i know this. she didn't.

she's now trying to pawn off the hood on someone and purchase another cf hood. nevermind the fact that she had one before and thought it would be a GREAT idea to sell hers off, and bondo the hell out of her stock hood...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow. canadian bondo.

Well see my paint is chipping and some jack ass who installed my pinstripe make a pinstripe with a razor blade on my side door. i was wondering if bondo would somewhat patch that up.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I think you'll be looking to paint the whole door along with bondo to fill any imperfections if you want it to look nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts