Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Highlander hybrid to tow my 2000 pound travel trailer but am wondering if the gas mileage may drop below what I get now. My big problem is that I have to fill up with gas before 200 miles.

What mpg does anyone get with a Highlander hybrid towing a small trailer?
What range between gas fillups do you get?

thanks much,
-deac33

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got 15-18mpg around town recently with a Uhaul 6x12, but it wasn't a long enough trip for a full tank.
Thanks for the information. Looks like you have a 2021 AWD Highlander Hybrid Platinum. What engine do you have?
-deac33

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
471 Posts
I tow an Aliner Ranger 15, a 2500 lbs relatively large pop-up trailer:
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

On medium trips (about a week), on relatively flat terrain, I get about 9.0l / 100 km. If there are serious hills, it goes up to 9.7 l / 100 km.

jf
ps: Note that I am on vacation, so I drive in normal mode (not sport) and I am not in a hurry, so part of my driving is around 55 mph, part is closer to 65 mph and the rest is slower city driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tow an Aliner Ranger 15, a 2500 lbs relatively large pop-up trailer:
View attachment 348167
On medium trips (about a week), on relatively flat terrain, I get about 9.0l / 100 km. If there are serious hills, it goes up to 9.7 l / 100 km.

jf
ps: Note that I am on vacation, so I drive in normal mode (not sport) and I am not in a hurry, so part of my driving is around 55 mph, part is closer to 65 mph and the rest is slower city driving.
Very helpful, thanks very much!! My driving habits are quite similar.
Which Highlander and engine do you have?
About how many miles between gas fillups do you usually get?
thanks much, -deac33

·
Registered
220 Posts
I get 18-21 mpg towing a 1200 lb teardrop. Wind direction makes a HUGE difference. With a tail wind, I get about 24, but rarely. I tow at 65-70 mph.
Get 35 all the time with no trailer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hauled 2 ebikes on the back of my 2021 hybrid yesterday and my mileage dropped from 38 MPG to under 30 MPG. Wind drag I suspect.

Reactions: deac33

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get 18-21 mpg towing a 1200 lb teardrop. Wind direction makes a HUGE difference. With a tail wind, I get about 24, but rarely. I tow at 65-70 mph.
Get 35 all the time with no trailer.
Big difference!
  • Do you have a hybrid?
  • Do you know about how much range you get between fillups?
Thanks much for the response. :)

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
471 Posts
Which Highlander and engine do you have?
About how many miles between gas fillups do you usually get?
all the hybrids have the same 2.5L 4-cyl base motor. Only difference is the AWD gets the rear electric motor.
I have the hybrid AWD. Technically, the engine is A25A-FXS.
;)
That's a 2.5l Atkinson.

To gets miles, you'd have to divide km by 1.6. I get different result depending on the time of the year. In the Winter time I have to pay the winter-penalty: more drag, children who want some heating which makes the engine run just to generate heat and the fact that I go to school and back 10 miles roundtrip, going on the top of the hill and back: the hybrid battery gets full and I no-longer get regenerative braking at the end. I get actual refills between 550 km and 675 km (I log my fill-ups) Of course I have more range, but I'd rather refill early at my cheaper-but-local gas station than fill in the city. So I'd say range is around 700 km before the car says distance-to-empty 0. I haven't measured the safety on yet on that vehicle.

During summer (ie: no school, no cold, no winter tire) I'd closer to 800 km range. Record is 782 km between refill after 1 year. (In July!)

jf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts