Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Highlander hybrid to tow my 2000 pound travel trailer but am wondering if the gas mileage may drop below what I get now. My big problem is that I have to fill up with gas before 200 miles.

What mpg does anyone get with a Highlander hybrid towing a small trailer?
What range between gas fillups do you get?

thanks much,
-deac33

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
MPG will definitely drop when towing. It's impossible to determine how much. Biggest fact is your driving habits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MPG will definitely drop when towing. It's impossible to determine how much. Biggest fact is your driving habits.
Thanks.
My concern is whether the gas mileage drops below what I get now which limits my range between fillups to less than 200 miles.
The question I probably should have asked is "How far can your highlander hybrid go between gas fillups when towing?"

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
2019 Highlander AWD
218 Posts
The V6 Highlander comes with an 18 gal tank. The hybrid comes with a 4 cyl engine and 17 gal tank.
If you get 15 mpg towing then you should get over 250 miles per tank and not much difference between the two options.
But I would not want to tow with a 4 cyl engine. If towing is important, I would go for the V6.
I did not check but does the hybrid come with a CVT? I would not want to tow with a CVT.

John

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My concern is whether the gas mileage drops below what I get now which limits my range between fillups to less than 200 miles.
Are you not letting tank drop below half. 200 miles on a tank is absurd. I usually have a few gallons left in tank. So when I fill up I usually put in 15+ gallons. I easily get over 300 miles on a tank. If you're only getting 200 then somethings wrong...really wrong. That puts you at about 13mpg. My 1970 F150 pickup got better gas mileage then that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you not letting tank drop below half. 200 miles on a tank is absurd. I usually have a few gallons left in tank. So when I fill up I usually put in 15+ gallons. I easily get over 300 miles on a tank. If you're only getting 200 then somethings wrong...really wrong. That puts you at about 13mpg. My 1970 F150 pickup got better gas mileage then that.
Yes, when towing I'm getting 13-14 mpg and fill up around 1/4 tank between 160 and 190 miles. Not towing I only get 20-22 mpg on the highway. And yes, I'm very disappointed which is why I'm looking for a better alternative. 300 miles would give me much more flexibility which is why I'd like to move to a Highlander hybrid if that looks to be a good alternative. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The V6 Highlander comes with an 18 gal tank. The hybrid comes with a 4 cyl engine and 17 gal tank.
If you get 15 mpg towing then you should get over 250 miles per tank and not much difference between the two options.
But I would not want to tow with a 4 cyl engine. If towing is important, I would go for the V6.
I did not check but does the hybrid come with a CVT? I would not want to tow with a CVT.

John
Thanks for the comments, I'll give the V6 a good look. I don't know if it has a CVT, why not tow with CVT?
-deac33

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 2015 V6 and tow a 2000lb pop up camper. When towing I get around 15mpg. I would guess that even with the hybrid the towing mileage would be very similar because you are not using the electric motor very much on the highway.

My wife's X5 gets slightly better gas mileage than the highlander but it has a better tow rating and a larger gas tank.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
882 Posts
The hybrid has a "eCVT" which is nothing like a regular CVT, that you would find on a Corolla, last gen Pathfinder, Subaru Ascent, etc. Like a regular automatic, it has a planetary gearset, which is controlled by MG1, but the end operation behaves like a CVT.

A hybrid also has the electric motors that kick in to help with getting the trailer moving. Getting something moving requires a lot of energy, and with electric motors, you have instant torque.

The Alex on Auto's Youtube RAV4 Hybrid tow test should give you an idea of how it behaves and its fuel economy, but expect worse fuel economy than the RAV4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2015 V6 and tow a 2000lb pop up camper. When towing I get around 15mpg. I would guess that even with the hybrid the towing mileage would be very similar because you are not using the electric motor very much on the highway.

My wife's X5 gets slightly better gas mileage than the highlander but it has a better tow rating and a larger gas tank.
Thanks much. About how many miles do you get between gas fillups while towing?
That's my bigger concern actually. I should consider the V6 since the hybrid may be a bit underpowered.
thanks, -deac33

1 - 10 of 10 Posts