Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a Gen 4 with the I-4.

I'm putting in a new timing belt and noticed that the gasket on the timing belt covers appears to be a weather-strip like foam material that looks like it may have come from a tube. These gaskets were damaged when I removed the covers.

The Factory Service Manual talks about sticking a new gasket on the covers but I cannot find the gasket at my dealer.

What do you all use to seal these covers? The guy at my NAPA store said to use some Permatex #2 silicone sealant, but I'm reluctant to use this as it will be messy and will perhaps make the cover difficult to remove the next time I want it off.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
You can put the P-tex on the cover as a fairly even bead and let it dry. Then assemble and it should flex to fit. It will only be stuck to the cover the next time you remove it.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
I would try and find foam weather stripping about the same thickness (usually in 3/4" to 1" width) and cut it to fit the cover.
It's purpose is to keep the timing belt free of outside dirt/ debris etc. It does not need to be air tight.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I hve to agree with Dave's. You want to find a RTV type sealant that you can put only onthe timing cover and allow it to cure before reinstalling the cover. That way it will only adhere to the cover and not the engine. You will need to make sure it is very clean and dry before trying to put sealant on it.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dudes,

Thanks for the ideas.

I found a tube of stuff that goes on like RTV but dries to a weatherstrip consistency.

I'll try it out and post my results, along w/ info on the product.

It might be really good stuff!

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry, the stuff I found did not work. I tried a small blob of it on a piece of Kleenex, let it cure overnight, and found it to be regular RTV, albeit at $16 per tube!

I was able to find the gaskets I needed online:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=106&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Timing%20Cover%20Gasket

However, I was able to order the gaskets I needed at the local dealer, for about three bucks more than the online price.

The bad news is, they won't be in until Friday.....this timing belt job is taking forever!

My plan is to clean up the covers real good, apply the new gaskets, then coat the gasket mating surface with a thin layer of silicone grease. That way, the next time I take the covers off, the gaskets should not stick to the engine and I'll be able to reuse them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts