Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 toy p/u 4x4 base
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 4x4 Pickup. IFS.

Went to Firestone today to get my free alignment since i bought their lifetime. I actually got one even though i have ball joint spacers. I just installed my new ball joints and needed an alignment. The tech guy said I need a new pitman AND idler arm. He quoted me $637. I said.... NO! So now I'm researching them. I already knew I wanted to get the brass bushing from sdori.com for the idler arm. However, I didn't notice till now that I have to buy the Autozone idler arm to get the bushing to fit. So i guess I'll buy the Autozone FA 5040 (McQuay-Norris FA5040) idler arm and brass bushing set for it unless anyone knows of a better solution. And for the pitman arm, can i just replace the bushings? Or do i need to get a new arm? And if so which one? I found a replacement for $20 on partstrain and a MOOG for $90. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 toy p/u 4x4 base
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would also like to add that im running 33's on 16's and i off road every weekend. I would also like to know if theres anywhere i can get a brace for my idler arm from

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
I run the mcquay arm with SDORI bushings. I like it except that it tends to loosen off slightly after a few thousand km. I just loosen off the lock nut and snug up the nut on the main shaft of the idler arm (1/4 of a turn maybe). All that happens is the steering wheel starts to vibrate on the hwy, then you snug it back up and no problem.

Now this could be caused by me using an old downey idler arm brace with the bushings. I bought a second arm and set of bushings for my stock(ish) 95 4runner, will find out what happends when I install it (hopefully tomorrow).

I think NWOR carries the idler arm brace. I would get one custom made by a shop, mine doesnt fit that well. It could be much better!

As for a pitman arm, I bought XRF components when I replaced my front end, Id go with them, factory toyota parts(from a toyota website) or '555' brand made in japan parts.

·
Registered
86 toy p/u 4x4 base
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run the mcquay arm with SDORI bushings. I like it except that it tends to loosen off slightly after a few thousand km. I just loosen off the lock nut and snug up the nut on the main shaft of the idler arm (1/4 of a turn maybe). All that happens is the steering wheel starts to vibrate on the hwy, then you snug it back up and no problem.

Now this could be caused by me using an old downey idler arm brace with the bushings. I bought a second arm and set of bushings for my stock(ish) 95 4runner, will find out what happends when I install it (hopefully tomorrow).

I think NWOR carries the idler arm brace. I would get one custom made by a shop, mine doesnt fit that well. It could be much better!

As for a pitman arm, I bought XRF components when I replaced my front end, Id go with them, factory toyota parts(from a toyota website) or '555' brand made in japan parts.
Wow, i don't honestly think I could've gotten a better answer. That only leaves me with one question. Is Sankei 555 the Japanese brand you're talking about? My roommate is a Toyota Technician so I always have him by my parts since I get them with his discount, but I just thought I'd price compare the 555's with the OEM pitman arm.

As far as the steering wheel shaking and you tightening the idler arm back up, do you think that might be all I need to do right now with my stock arm?

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts