Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought brand new Moto Metal Chrome wheels about 18 months ago. I have tried to take great care of them and keep them clean and polish them. yet I'm getting all these discolorations and raised bumps in the chrome finish. It's past the warranty so there's nothing I can do in that department. Also, the chrome is chipping off of the plastic center caps. What the hell?! These weren't cheap wheels. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The EPA's banning of certain chemicals has killed chrome quality and longevity.

·
Registered
07 PRE RUNNER DOUBLE
32 Posts
Not much you can do unfortunatly. eventually all of your chrome will chip off. from there you have a couple options. refinish them. powdercoat, re-chrom, paint, sand them and make them polished aluminum wheels.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Corrosion is caused by dissimilar metals, probably something the chrome doesn't agree with in the makeup of the wheel, or maybe salt from roads. I've never seen a set of chrome rims that won't eventually do that. Care and cleaning is all you can do. Try some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and that should take the visible corrosion off, it will probably come back before long though.

goodman is right, eventually it will all chip off. When it does, polished aluminum is your best bet. My dad lives in Astoria and has one of the only commercial wheel polishing machines on the west coast. He polishes aluminum wheels all the time, and when the day comes, he could do yours. Depending on how many spokes are in your wheels, and how much detail there is, it could be a reasonable price to make them look like chrome again.

IMHO, chrome is the worst thing you can invest in. Polished aluminum can look just as good, if not better, and its FAR EASIER to maintain.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
To the OP, I noticed you're in Corvallis, not sure where you got the rims from, but I know Les Schwab ( I know everybody has there pros and cons in the NW ) but they sell a product called Heavy Metal. It's a polishing compound and comes in coarse to fine grit. Pick up a Mother's polishing ball and go to town. See if that works, otherwise you got to go the whole refinishing route.

Here's some websites to help out:
http://www.brilexsolutions.com/

http://www.autogeek.net/mo5140.html

I know Flitz is another good product:
http://www.flitz.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gees if I'd have known how chrome was going to hold up I wouldn't have bought them. I've tried the turtle wax chrome polish and polished till my fingers were dead. It didn't do much. I'll try the Les Schwab product.

·
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
'94 Camry/'02 Sequoi
276 Posts
To help keep them looking good longer, use a product like Mothers Chrome Polish, which will leave a protective coating. You could also use a pure carnauba wax, or a spray wax.

Be careful what you polish with -- chrome can scratch.

·
Registered
07 PRE RUNNER DOUBLE
32 Posts
IF YOU USE ANYTHING WITH A HEAVY GRIT ON THE CHROM IT WILL SCRATCH THE SHIPIT OUT OF it. but their your wheels so have a blast.
Chroming is a three step process the last of which kind of like a clear coat. you can buff it, wax it, but if you use anything coarse it will scratch it and eventually lead to what your seeing now.

I would personally clean them up as much as possible throw a nice coat of a quality paste wax on and dont worry about it untill you can see the finish flaking off. then turn them into polished aluminum. you could clear them after polishing but that to will eventually flake off(depending on where you live and the road conditions.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I wasn't going to use anything with a heavy grit. I knew that would scratch the chrome. How much would it cost to turn them into polished wheels when that time comes?

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
IMHO, chrome is the worst thing you can invest in. Polished aluminum can look just as good, if not better, and its FAR EASIER to maintain.
Wrong! Polished aluminum is 10x harder to maintain and clean. I know because I use to professional detail. Chrome looks 1000x better and has a shine that can be blinding. The only reason I would ever go aluminum is it is lighter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts