Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the trim from the rear doors back is rusted

All the trim under the doors is rusted.

Where can I get replacement trip cheaply?

My co worker has an 87 and his is the exact same as my 89, all the trim has rusted away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tore off all that lower trim on my 88 when i first got it several years ago. It was rusted. I think the car looks fine without those trim pieces. As for the doors and wheel wells, I basicly watch for rust orange and sand it off, rust inhibitor and re-prime/paint. Its alot of work keep a car rust free, especially 2nd gen camrys.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
odd mines aren't rusted.. you guys must not take care of it very well

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Where you you park your car overnight?
What's the winter like in your area?
Do you clean it often?
What's the mileage on the car?
Does it still have original paint?

Factors such as the ones above can greatly affect the exterior condition of any vehicle. And in most cases, lack of care is the main factor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atobe said:
Honestly, I dont know how well the previous owner kept it, but I know it wasnt as good as I take care of my vehicles.

I've had my camry a week now and havent driven it much yet. I was told it needed new CV joints (and it did), and I put those on this weekend in the rain.

Oh, btw, my car is an 89 Alltrac with an auto tranny and ice cold AC. 180k miles on it. I paid $200.00 for the car knowing it needed CV joints.

I dont mind removing the trim below the doors, but it will look silly with no trim on the doors and near the gas cap area. The trim was so rusted there it fell apart when I touched it.

EDIT: I bought this car to have a winter beater. I have a 96 maxima with 210k on it that I drive daily and a 97 F150 and my wife has a 2005 Escape so this is just a fun toy to have.

·
Registered
159 Posts

It depends on where you live. You simply can't find a rust-free Gen2 around where I am anymore. The climate doesn't allow for it. No matter how well you baby it, it's going to rust.

Go down to Texas, and you'll find rust-free beater Gen2s everywhere.

That said, the Gen2 does appear to have rust issues. My previous one was missing all the trim because it rusted, and the new one has the same problem.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Rusty gen2's... All you can do is keep it from spreading the best you can. Especially in any place where there is a wintry climate.

I was lucky with mine when I had my 87, only real rust was the 1/4 panel trim and above the RR wheelwell opening. The rocker trim was a lost cause and I did away with it.

Just do what you can to keep it from spreading- POR15, gang, POR 15...

Steve

·
Rotor > Piston
91 Camry, 90 RX7
411 Posts
i had to rip off the trim on my rear quarter panel because it was rusting under it, so i ended up just ripping it all off

now my car has "speed grooves"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so no one knows of an aftermarket trim company that makes trim for these, eh? Well, it was worth a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a whim, I called my local toyota dealership.

$96.00 for just the passenger door trim.. thats right, a 3 foot piece of trim and they want 1/2 of what I paid for the car

lol. I guess I'll make my own or something. I really can't have those speed grooves with the holes in them. Its too ghetto.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
try your local junk yard for em. pretty sure they have it.

as for the questions
Where you you park your car overnight? --- in my garage
What's the winter like in your area? --- i live in california. so rain is the worst it can get
Do you clean it often? ---- every 2 weeks it gets washed
What's the mileage on the car? --- i just passed 123k few weeks ago
Does it still have original paint? ---- YES
i baby my car too much

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Gen 2's definitely have rust issues. I live in Detroit and even though My mom always garaged the car our cold @ss winters too their tool. I got tired of worrying about fixing the rust so I just replaced all the rusty body panels. All new front fenders on both sides and welded in new metal in the rear. My trim never rusted though but I did lose one and I had to go to Toyota and order a new one. Kinda expensive but I am picky about how my car looks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EKam said:
Where you you park your car overnight?
What's the winter like in your area?
Do you clean it often?
What's the mileage on the car?
Does it still have original paint?

Let me answer these questions about this camry

I park my cars (all of them) in my driveway. Thats what its for.
Winter is cold and snowy in NE. Kansas
I probably wont wash this car too often, maybe once a month or as needed
yes, but its not in good shape

Cars do not belong in garages. Garages are for projects, rebuilding vehicles, storing stuff, etc.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
slag said:
Cars do not belong in garages. Garages are for projects, rebuilding vehicles, storing stuff, etc.
Sure, you keep believing that. I'll keep my cars in the garage, out the elements, and off the street at night where they can be F-ed with .;) :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talisman said:
Sure, you keep believing that. I'll keep my cars in the garage, out the elements, and off the street at night where they can be F-ed with .;) :thumbup:
:)

Thats what Zaino is for.

Seriously, right now I have a hot tub (just fixed it and its going on the back deck once it gets finished the first of november),

a minibike, my entire air tool collection, a bunch of other crap, a jetski engine, etc.

My garage is too cluttered. I normally have a car project in there, but not right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts