Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mom has a 89 corolla 4dr automatic.

i believe it is an AE92, but w/o 4age engine, am i right?

so...

a) does it have a 4age engine?
b) should i invest money into it for more hp?

thanks.

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
yump, its an ae92. it probably has the 4af motor in it. talk to Flashmn about making it faster!

·
Registered
136 Posts
you should just drive it until it doesn't go any more. you won't get much for it if you sell it and there isn't that much aftermarket support for it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
LonelyDriver said:
you should just drive it until it doesn't go any more. you won't get much for it if you sell it and there isn't that much aftermarket support for it.
dajusta... don't listen to LonelyDriver. there's a lot of guys i know who's driving around on a modified 4dr. AE92s. equipped with 16V 4AG-Es, 4AGZEs and even 20Vs.

here's some of 'em... from the Philippines!

another one except it's a wagon, yes a wagon can be modified!

FYI: the front faces of these cars originally are the same as what we have here in Canada, it was just swapped with the Sprinter front faces and FX GT front end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow you guys are really supportive..

i'm just afraid of the $$ issues.

would it help if i posted pictures of my car??

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you're gonna do something to that car, swap the engine and that's it. That however will cost you probably around 2000-3000 USD. Nothing will really improve performance as much as a new engine, and I wouldn't bother with forced induction on the current one. If you swap I'd go for a 4A-GZE, it's the 4A-GE with the torque it lacks.

Or you can put in a 7A-FE like me! :lol:

Anyway talk to Flashmn, he's the man with the AE92 plan.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
It'll cost you 2000 for the engine and all that stuff maybe but it'll take you days of work for the wiring and piping.

·
Registered
136 Posts
micro214_kp61 said:
dajusta... don't listen to LonelyDriver. there's a lot of guys i know who's driving around on a modified 4dr. AE92s. equipped with 16V 4AG-Es, 4AGZEs and even 20Vs.
the question is, are you willing to spend lots of money on a 15 year old car? with the money you would need to make the corolla reasonalby fast, you might as well sell it and use the money you would use for mods and buy an alltrac celic instead.

http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=28120908

it would probably cost you 3500-4500 cnd for the engine swap alone. then add suspension work and maybe better brakes and you'd be halfway to that celica.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where is a reliable place to buy a new engine?

i dont think i'l be putting in a 4a-gze

maybe 7a-fe

which one is more expensive?? (plus, doesn't 4agze eat more gas?)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
LonelyDriver said:
the question is, are you willing to spend lots of money on a 15 year old car? with the money you would need to make the corolla reasonalby fast, you might as well sell it and use the money you would use for mods and buy an alltrac celic instead.

http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=28120908

it would probably cost you 3500-4500 cnd for the engine swap alone. then add suspension work and maybe better brakes and you'd be halfway to that celica.

i can build up a quick AE92 4dr. for half the price of that almost $12000 all-trac. boosted too possibly will give that all-trac a good run. plus i can fix everything else on the car like suspension and reinforcements.

FYI, just because aftermarket parts aren't available through big time e-store doesn't mean a car is worth shit. 20years ago no one makes any performance parts for my toyota but that didn't stop us using that car as a plaform.;)

dajusta... a 7AF sounds good. you can get better torque. just make sure you get a complete swap with full wire harness and ecu. spend the money for a complete swap rather than buying parts through different sources.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
You're obviously young and you got the car for free.. I would say drive it till its dead and save up for a more decent Toyota. The car being automatic doesn't help, if you wanna do a motor swap on that car, take into account that you will have to swap the transmission. If you want to go to a manual transmission, take into account that you will have to put a clutch pedal, this will mean sourcing out parts from a manual 89 AE92, etc.. in other words.. its not worth the trouble when you can invest that money into a more decent car. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Dude, I am in the same situation. I'm gonna get my mom's Corolla from her when I turn 16, and I was thinking about engine swap/turbo/supercharger/nitrous. And in the end it's just not worth it. Modifying the engine is a big deal, and while it can make you a lot faster, it is costly and there is always a chance something will go wrong. It is best to play it safe, because if your car breaks a week after the engine swap, you will not have any more money to waste on another engine. Just put some cool rims on it and put a good sound system or whatever. If you're really into making it perform better get new suspension, exhaust system, or try to reduce the weight.

You said yourself you are afraid of the "$$ issues", so as far as the engine goes, I'd leave it alone and use the money to save up for a nice next car, whenever you are gonna buy one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts