Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Corolla CE
898 Posts
Thanks or your suggestions. As I watched YouTube Videos on this subject, I saw a piece suggesting to tap on Starter, when car shows starting issue.

I did this on Friday 10/11 evening. My car started on 1st attempt. I did start that car yesterday afternoon. It started without any issues. I took the car to AutoZone to do battery/starter/alternator testing. Tech hooked Battery tester to my car. It showed battery/Starter/Alternator as PASSED. Tech told me all are in good condition.

I was wondering what did happen here. Here is the photo to show the tapped location on my Starter.

There are 2 Cylinders . I did tap on Small one sitting on top big one. Google search showed some spring kind was inside this small Cylinder, I am not sure Toyota Starter has the same.

What is causing the tapping on this Cylinder to resolve intermittent start issue of my Car?

Today is Sunday, As I start my car this afternoon, the problem re-surfaced. After trying few times, I did the tapping on small cylinder , car started without any issues. I am not sure, how long this going to work.

I am wondering, why did AutoZone battery/starter/alternator testing.not catch the starter issues.

Did the above confirm this is starter solenoid fix ?

Thanks for sharing.
Tapping on the starter will damage it because the casing is made of very thin metal.This method was somewhat successful in the old days because a thicker guage metal was used.In your case,the most difficult job will be the removal of the starter because some of the bolts are hidden and difficult to access.Get yourself a solonoid contact set...including the plunger from e-bay.Got mine for $15 inc shipping.Thats all you need and it beats paying $250 for a new starter.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You have an intermittent electrical problem. AutoZone or any other testing doesn't work for this, as the starter would have to be acting up at the moment the test is performed.
Mechanics these days don't rebuild things because it is very time consuming and replacement parts are relatively cheap here in US (relative to rebuild kit + cost of labor to rebuild). It takes longer to rebuild the starter than to replace it, so labor rate to remove-rebuilt-replace would be more than double the rate to replace with a rebuilt unit. Do the math.

It is always best to test and troubleshoot the issue rather than just replace parts. A simple $5 circuit tester (aka test light) is all you need. There are 2 wires going to the tester - a think positive wire that's bolted on and always has 12v, and a thinner electrical connector that engages the solenoid. Connect the clip end of the tester to the battery negative (or good ground anywhere), disconnect the plug from the starter, and gently place the tip of the tester into the electrical contact on the connector (not the starter). Don't jam the test probe into the connector and walk away - you'll spread the contacts in the connector and it'll start malfunctioning, just touch it with the tip. Have somebody turn the key into cranking position, and the light should light up. It it lights up every time, then you plug the connector back in and starter won't start, it's a confirmed starter malfunction. If the light does not light up, it could be the starter relay, ignition switch, or a wire somewhere in between.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for your guidance/suggestions.

I am hearing that ground contact clean up or broken ground may contribute to these issues.

Where are the ground points to look in 1999 Camry to do clean up if any?

Are there any videos on this subject ?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What is the cause for 1999 Camry not starting on first attempt?
===============================================================================

Thanks for your replies to my thread.

I find that my 1999 Camry is not starting on first attempt. I am not hearing cracking sound. I am hearing mum sound, but lights are showing up on dashboard.

It is starting on second attempt.

If I push and apply pressure to ignition key and start, it is starting.

Am I able to use ELM327 + OBD2 to figure out the issues ?

Thanks for your guidance .

Thanks for sharing.
BMR is right. I had the same problem with my 2000. I rebuilt the starter and it was very easy. I just followed the instructions in this video:
It only cost $17 for a solenoid rebuild kit that included gaskets and a few bucks for grease.
Please note that you need not paint the inside of your starter as in the video recommendation.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for your replies. Here is an update.

I took the battery to Battery Warehouse. They fully charged my old battery for 24 hours.

I got 12.62V before starting and 13.93V after starting (charging by alternator). Battery Warehouse tech told me this battery is better than new one. After putting this battery , my car did not start after 1st Crank. I have to do many cranks , when I start my car after over night parking (parked the car for many hours).

After many cranks , my car start as normal. If I drive it , park , turn off the engine, start again after do shopping , it start on 1st crank.

I put a new battery , that shows 12.65V before start and 14.65V after starting (charging by alternator).

I replaced the battery , when engine was warm. It started on 1st crank. I thought problem solved, but not so fast ....

It shows same behavior . My car did not start after 1st Crank. I have to do many cranks , when I start my car after parked the car for many hours.

After many cranks , my car start as normal. If I drive it , park , turn off the engine, start again after do shopping , it start on 1st crank.

Where do I start to trouble shoot?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
All the answers are already in this thread, re-read it. You have either a failing starter (most likely, somewhat common), or failing starter relay. Since it doesn't look like you're able to diagnose much yourself, your only options are to either take it to a shop or start replacing parts yourself and hope the problem goes away.
Gook luck!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,005 Posts
ThiS sounds like a bent key.

Verify the twist and bend at the end of the key. Also, is there some resistance when turning the ignition?

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for your suggestions

I find the my OEM Starter # from Camry shows 28100-03100, TN 28000-6172

OEM Part search for shows 28235 PLUNGER, MAGNET SWITCH 28235-03080 . I did not find OEM part # for starter contacts

These numbers are not matching with Rockauto, Amazon or ebay listings .

How do I find the correct part with these info ?

Thanks for your guidance.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Have a shop check the fuel pressure after letting the car sit overnight at their shop. This condition, on a different make of car, was recently on South Main Auto on YouTube. .

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for your insights. As I opened the thread, I am moving to replace plunger/contacts of the starter as many folks suggested. Many threads suggest the same. I find an another observation, that need a closer look.

I find my Camry start as normal , when I turn the KEY to ON position , pause(wait) and start (crank). I am not sure what is happening here. Eg. I can turn the KEY to ON and wear my seat belt and start(crank), car start as normal.

I did not find any threads or google hits for this behavior.

I am asking this, because I do not want to replace/repair a good (working) starter in this process.

Is this behavior confirm the bad starter?

Are there any other problem/defect contribute to this behavior?

Thanks for sharing.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for weighing in and responding to my questions. You motivated me to learn about starter replacement/rebuild of my 1999 Camry. It paid off.

I did buy the contacts & Plunger from EBAY. I took the starter out and replaced the contact/plunger as described in many videos and DIY threads of this forum pointer by BMR. After replacing the contacts + plunger , I took the starter to AUTOZONE for bench test. The tech confirmed that starter working as desired.

I put it back into my 1999 Camry. It is starting like charm now.

It saved my existing OEM starter rather than throw as CORE and buying crap starter.

Here is the story ...

I completed this on 12/15/2019

T
Code:
Tools Pittsburg Torque Wrench 63880
Pittsburg 40 PC socket set 63015
Pittsburg 3/8 10PC Chrome Deep socket set 61300
3/8 6 Inch Autozone socket extension bar (did not use this)
White Lithium Grease spray
Contacts + Plunger from EBAY (see photo below,  it has two sets of contacts, only one fit to my car. I am not sure, what is this 2nd set for, will this fit to my starter ?)
I started around noon. After removing the battery and Cruise Control Module, I could not reach the starter, so I removed the Air Filter module, that helped me to get to my starter of 1999 Camry. I used 3/8, 14MM DEEP Socket + 3/8 3 inch extension bar to remove the starter. I took it out after removing battery terminal.

Here is the OEM starter OEM # 28100-03100
20191215_OEMSTART.jpg

As per DIY thread/videos, I removed Solenoid outer lid using 7mm 1/4 drive socket. Here is what I saw the worn out contact.

20191215_bacontact.jpg

I had hard time removing battery post bolt inside plastic housing . 14MM socket was not able hold grip on it. The edges of plastic housing came off due to repeated tries . I was able to remove the bolt afterwards.

20191216_RMOLDPart.jpg

Here is the new plunger + contacts.

20191207_NEWPART.jpg

After installing the new contacts

20191215_WITHNEWC.jpg

20191215_withnewcontact.jpg

I put together and closed the Solenoid outer lid. I took the starter to AUTOZONE for bench testing. It passed with
Low Actual Max
Current 15.00 63.84 120.00
7 13.36 19.00
0 600.00

How do I interpret the above numbers/matrix ?

I re-installed the repaired starter back to my 1999 Camry. I torqued the 14MM nut to 28 Ft Pounds. I put together Cruise Control Module, Air Filter module and Battery.

My 1999 Camry started on 1 st attempt this time. No more clicking during start. I hope it will be this way for awhile. .

Thanks for your help & guidance.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts