Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Toyota Trucks, or trucks at all for that matter, and I'm am looking around for an older truck. One has caught my eye at a decent price (college student here) but I am unfamaliar with the general mileage you can get out of your Tacoma before it'll need some serious attention/rebuild. The particular truck I'm looking at is a 1988 Tacoma, 3.0 V6, 4WD, 5 spd. It has 240,000 miles:eek: on it. I know it has not been rebuilt. The clutch was replaced at about 170k. Here is the description from the seller himself:

"My dad runs a toyota shop and has made sure that this truck was in great mechanical condition. Both diffs and the tranny and transfer cases have been filled with Redline synthetic shockproof oil as well and the engine only being filled with Castrol syntec. It has also had a k&n filter on it since the bottom end work. It has a new set of procomp es9000 shocks and steering stabilizer. It has a 3" suspension lift with new crager wheels and near new 33x12.5 BFG all terrains. It has the heavier axles and the nice gauge cluster that that come with the v6 package. It has a brand new Reese class 4 hitch installed last month. It had a new factory exhaust installed last summer from the cat to the tail pipe. It has just gotten a tune up with new ngk plugs wires cap rotor and coil. It had an alignment less than 3 months ago when the lift was intelled. This was a customer car before i bought it and have all service records since about 1992. Included is the owners manual as well as a factory toyota repair manual."

Now I have bought and sold several cars, and I spoke to this seller on the phone and from our converstaion I would say he sounds honest. He's asking about 1.5k. I only need a truck for some light hauling occassionaly, but mainly as my commuter vehicle for the next year, year and half tops so I'd just need it to last that long without major engine rebuilding service. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
as long as they are well taken care of, toyota's engines will last forever. 240k miles is probably about like having 150k on a ford or any other american made car. its broken in well and it should last at least till 300k especially if the guy has done what he says. if you do need to rebuild the engine, you can buy relatively cheap rebuilt engines to replace it.

·
Registered
84 XtraCab SB
57 Posts
If its an '88 I don't think it would be a Tacoma
anyway, this sounds like a good deal to me with all the
aftermarket items and maintenance thats been done to it,
my only concern would be the engine, 3.0's have a chronic
headgasket problem.

If you do a little looking here you will read all about it.

I would just make sure that its not leaking at this time,
here is a few things you want to check:
1.pull the dipstick and look for the presence of water, if it looks frothy like a chocolate shake then there is a problem.

2.pull off the radiator cap and look for oil floating in the coolant. If you have access to one, use a radiator pressure test kit to determine if there is any air getting out of the cooling system. A very good test I have learned for testing the headgasket is to take your truck to a friendly smog mechanic, take off the radiator cap and start the engine, have the smog guy stick the emissions probe right in the top of the radiator, it will detect if exhaust gases are coming out of the coolant. You may be able to do this by just taking off the coolant reservoir cap and sticking the probe in there, in fact that would probably be easier and gas would tend to gather there more because of the empty space inside. Stick your hand or a rag around the probe and over the hole to concentrate any gas in the reservoir.

3.look at the exhaust gas coming out the tailpipe after the truck has warmed up, if you still see some white smoke or gray/black/bluish smoke then it could be burning water or oil. I like to stick my finger in the tailpipe (when its not too hot of course ) and wipe it in the bottom of the pipe, you will pick up oil or water that has gathered there. There will be some normal moisture condensation in the exhaust especially in colder weather.

4.look at the repair records and ask the previous owner to see if the headgasket has been done recently, if it has you probably won't have to worry about it in the near future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 88 4x2 with the 22re engine and it has just rolled over 300k. The motor is still strong, uses no oil, and I would drive it anywhere. I think if it has been maintained, the mileage is up to how well you continue to maintain it. However if you do what Damon recommended above, you should be ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts