Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey you all, ill be doing my spark plugs today and i wanted to know what would be the proper spark plug gap should be, i have 51,000 miles on my 01 camry 5sfe.

thank you all

·
Toyota Collector
11,971 Posts
Buy the plugs from a Toyota dealer, which are pre-gapped. No need to do anything to them. Don't buy anything but the originals. BTW, seeing you only have 51,000 miles I doubt you need to change them.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
71Corolla said:
Buy the plugs from a Toyota dealer, which are pre-gapped. No need to do anything to them. Don't buy anything but the originals. BTW, seeing you only have 51,000 miles I doubt you need to change them.
even tho they come pre-gapped doesnt mean you dont have to gap em. you should still check the gaps

·
Registered
184 Posts
My original plugs had 53k miles on them. They looked healthy but were worn. Glad I changed them.
Buy NGK's at an auto supply store. Plug number and gap are in your owners manual. You should check the gap before you put them in. Probably .043 which is hard to find on standard gap-gauges. I used a piece of a .043 electric bass guitar string.

;)

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
1.1 mm max.

0.043" or 0.044" is the equivelent

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for your replies, i did change the spark plugs and at 51,000 miles they were horrid, i checked the gaps and some got pushed out to .80 gapping. my gas mileage was severely suffering for it as i was getting about 310 miles on my 18.5 gallon tank, now that ive actually run through a tank of gas after the plugs (and k&N intake filter) my mileage emmediately jumped up to 400 and i still have no gas light light, im close the "E" though.

BTW...i did buy them from toyota and they said that they needed not to be gapped, but the proper gap is .43...well 1 plug came gapped correctly but they other's were anywhere from .30 up to .50. so i made the proper adjustments.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alotawatts said:
So how much are plugs (Denso's ?) at the Dealerships these days ?
i paid 9 dollars and change for each one, total came out to 41 and change after taxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts