Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the rarest Camry that you've seen?

I've seen a few.

'92 DX sedan, 5-speed, manual everything. It had the black divider panel; the '93-94 had a red one and the '95-96 had body-colored ones.

DX wagons and coupes. I've only seen one DX wagon; black side molding and basic hubcaps.

Has anyone ever seen a base DX coupe?

XLEs are also rare.

For '97-01, the CE V6 is super-rare.

There's also an American edition, which is two-tone with gold trim.

I wish they made the SE from '97-01, but the CE V6 was the option to have with the 5-speed.

In the book "Car" by Mary Walton, about the Ford Taurus competitor, the engineers saw the Toyota plants and could not replicate what the Camry had done even with the best technology at the time. And they were aiming at the '92-96 Camry to boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought my Camry, its a 2001 "Collector's Edition" that has a 1mzfe, the two-tone gold/silver paint job, faux leather interior, faux wood trim on dash components/steering wheel, JBL sound system, and a spoiler....

I can barely find any information about the Collector's Edition on the net so I'd say its fairly rare. I'll post pictures later today after I go do some work on her.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
One I've never seen is a '92 DX with a V6 & 5 speed. DX's are somewhat rare, and they always have a 4 cyl w/ a 5 speed. I remember that according to the brochure, you could option up a DX w/ a V6. I think it's rare because the DX was the cheapest trim level; no power windows/locks, no AC, no power antenna. So it would be an odd thing to do to spring for the V6, which was roughly +$1,000. Someone wanting a V6 5speed would more likely opt for the SE trim which came that way standard.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other Camries

One I've never seen is a '92 DX with a V6 & 5 speed. DX's are somewhat rare, and they always have a 4 cyl w/ a 5 speed. I remember that according to the brochure, you could option up a DX w/ a V6. I think it's rare because the DX was the cheapest trim level; no power windows/locks, no AC, no power antenna. So it would be an odd thing to do to spring for the V6, which was roughly +$1,000. Someone wanting a V6 5speed would more likely opt for the SE trim which came that way standard.
I'm also curious about DX wagons with the dual wipers (I know all wagons had those; it was a weird setup).

XLEs are not common but they look the same as the others.

I know in '95-96 they went to a monochromatic look. I think they are the best of the bunch.

I wonder why they decontented the '97s. They seem like solid cars too.
How about this: rare Camry Gracia wagon for US consumption?

Other wishes:

Camry All-Trac?
Camry V6 Sport, a V6 AWD or V6 with better suspension
Camry E, 4-cyl, 5 speed manual with economy gears. Not unlike Cruze Eco.

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,485 Posts
:D Only 3rd-4th Gens or other Gens as well? Anyway, 1990 Camry LE V6, Canadian 25th Anniversary Edition. Maybe not the rarest bunch but still. Power everything, AC, factory fog lights, moonroof, cruise, alloy wheels, AM/FM/tape with power antenna, 25th anniversary badges embroidered on the front carpets and headrests, 25th badges on the front fenders, 2-tone paint job, factory spoiler, color-matching mudflaps... they looked great when they were new.

^Not my car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What's the rarest Camry that you've seen?

Mine is an "American Edition" but it's not two-tone. I think it was just a dealer option that gave gold emblems and "wood" interior trim. I see them pretty frequently on Craigslist so probably not very rare, unless it was a regional thing.

BTW, I really don't like the "wood" trim. It's falling apart while the rest of the interior is still in good shape. I'd like to swap it back over to the regular plastic pieces but it's probably not worth my time/money to try to find it.

·
Toyota Collector
11,830 Posts
Anyway, 1990 Camry LE V6, Canadian 25th Anniversary Edition. Maybe not the rarest bunch but still.
I think your car is very rare actually only a few per dealer were delivered and of course it was only sold in Canada. Another rare Camry would be a Gen3 2-door Coupe 5S-FE 5-speed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love that '90

:D Only 3rd-4th Gens or other Gens as well? Anyway, 1990 Camry LE V6, Canadian 25th Anniversary Edition. Maybe not the rarest bunch but still. Power everything, AC, factory fog lights, moonroof, cruise, alloy wheels, AM/FM/tape with power antenna, 25th anniversary badges embroidered on the front carpets and headrests, 25th badges on the front fenders, 2-tone paint job, factory spoiler, color-matching mudflaps... they looked great when they were new.

^Not my car.
The Camry has been around since '65? I know the Corolla's been around since '68.

One thing I love about both vehicles--as well as Civic/Accord--even if you don't make much $ there's no shame in driving these, even the older ones. It says "I may not have much" but I am smart about what I drive and reliability is a luxury in and of itself.

I used to envy people in Benzes/Bimmers when I had my Cavalier from '05 to '09. But after I totaled it and got a Corolla in '09, I felt at peace with my decision. I get blown away by SUVs and Caddies on the highway but I am ok with that. I am proud to drive Toyota!

There was also a '98-02 Corolla, two-tone, white and grey with gold piping similar to the American edition. The '02 Camry also had this scheme available too!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Several years back I pulled a bunch of interior from a 2001 XLE 1mzfe. The full "leather" interior and "wood" trim pieces are in my 2000 LE now.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,799 Posts
In Hawaii there was a 'Diamond Edition' for the 1994 for Hawaii. Extremely rare, found one going for sale that had mechanical issues. The options didn't impress me, so I didn't jump on it.

[quoted]
In 1994 Toyota Hawaii (Servco Pacific) had Toyota Motor Corp. build them 75 Diamond Camrys. For their 75th year in business. 40 had leather and 35 had cloth interiors. They all had production date 01/94, XLE with no sun roof, Japan serial number, paint code 051(pearl white), oak interior, 1MZ engine, ES300 rims. These cars were built at the Japan assy. plant by Toyota. They went on sale in Feburay 1994.[/quote]
http://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/diamond-edition-16555/

I've also seen my share of a 95 Collector's Edition (two tone like the Anniversary edition in Hawaii).

Probably the rarest would be the SE trim followed by the DX (base) trim. It's very hard to find a Gen3 SE trim and the Gen3.5 SE is also even harder to find. There are a handful of Gen3 SE i've seen here and even less DX V6. There is actually a Gen3 DX V6/auto for sale right now.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/5398195033.html

·
2013 Corolla S
2,693 Posts
I don't know if it's rare, but I live in a large Metro area and yet I have never seen a duplicate of my wife's Camry.

She has a 2001 XLE V6 Black on tan leather with power everything, JBL, moonroof, spoiler, 10 spoke 16" rims, and silver badges.

I have seen numerous black and tan leather Camry's, but the spoiler or sunroof is missing, or the badges are gold, but never her exact combo.

There's one on close to it on Cars.com, but no spoiler.

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,485 Posts
I think your car is very rare actually only a few per dealer were delivered and of course it was only sold in Canada.
Still paid 900$ for it. It may be rare but nobody cares! :lol:

The Camry has been around since '65? I know the Corolla's been around since '68.
Nah I think the idea was to celebrate the 25th year of Toyota's presence in Canada. There was also a 25th anniversary Celica IIRC.

·
Toyota Collector
11,830 Posts
I've never seen a 25th anniversary Celica but there was a 25th Corolla it had the same paint scheme as the Camry also had the exterior and interior badges.

·
RX-7 Restorations
01 MR2 Spyder
1,539 Posts
For me, the rarest Camry that I've personally come across would have to be the 92-93 SE V6 with a 5spd manual trans. I have bought every one I have seen...which has been two. I have owned one for 12 years and the other, a 93 that was silver, that I sold to a friend, though I wish I had kept the car. I have seen a couple SE's that were auto here and there but it seems that the 92-93 SE V6 with a 5spd is a pretty rare car.

I checked the brochure for 92 and 93 and the DX was not available with a V6 and a 5spd. the 5S-FE and 5spd yes. So if there really was a DX with a 3VZ-FE and a 5spd, that would indeed be a VERY rare car.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,799 Posts
Perhaps it should be a 1986 Camry Lift Back!

I wouldn't call it the rarest, but by nowdays standard, ALL Gen1 (more so that Gen1 hatch) is ultra rare. Not sure if the digit cluster came as an option for the Gen1 Hatch LE trim, but anything with a digit cluster for the camry is ultra rare unicorn action.

Another rare combination is a LE trim Gen1 w/ all power options but no alloy wheels and a 5spd manual. Saw one on ebay in about 10 years ago...

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,909 Posts
I wouldn't call it the rarest, but by nowdays standard, ALL Gen1 (more so that Gen1 hatch) is ultra rare.
Funnily enough ALL Australian Gen1 Camrys were the liftback/hatch, as it was seen as a replacement for the RT132 Corona liftback and sold alongside the ST141/RT142 Corona sedan (which was also built here) for a few years

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,614 Posts
I recently bought my Camry, its a 2001 "Collector's Edition" that has a 1mzfe, the two-tone gold/silver paint job, faux leather interior, faux wood trim on dash components/steering wheel, JBL sound system, and a spoiler....

I can barely find any information about the Collector's Edition on the net so I'd say its fairly rare. I'll post pictures later today after I go do some work on her.

The collector's edition was actually only for 2001

1 - 20 of 25 Posts