Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the tool set to buy to do medium fixes for 1999 Camry?
===============================================================================

Thanks for your replies to my thread. I did buy sockets/drive separately in the past to work with my car.

I am looking to buy mechanic tool set to do medium kid of repairs for 1999 Camry/other models.

I did see PITTSBURGH 225 Pc Mechanic's Tool Kit, but it has too many stuff. I am not sure, how useful for DIY kind of work.

What are the tools set to look for ?

Thanks for your guidance .

·
Registered
518 Posts
A quality 3/8' drive socket set (metric) with both normal and deep sockets. About 90% of the time you will use a 10, 12, or 14mm socket. Next most common in my use has been a ratcheting box end wrench in 10,12, or 14mm. Next, would be a torque wrench. This, in my opinion, would be your basic starter set.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,472 Posts
I did see PITTSBURGH 225 Pc Mechanic's Tool Kit, but it has too many stuff.
Yes, too many non useful tools, especially the Allen Wrenches.

I'd get basic small metric set of Craftsman (not Sears any more) or Kobalt, both at Lowes, then add as needed so you don't have non useful items, even NAPA has good tools you can buy individually.

First get a small to medium tool box so you'll have a place for everything.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I buy Home Depot Husky tools. as needed. They come with a lifetime warranty and I expect HomeDepot to stick around.

As above 10, 12 & 14MM soctet and wrenches do a lot of jobs.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I would check Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears (Craftsman) for toolsets on sale now for the holidays. The Pittsburgh sets (a brand name used exclusively by Harbor Freight) is not the same quality as the others IMO. Costco also has some nice tools if you are a member.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
I’d recommend the Craftsman 230pcs set @$89.99, with $11 more to make a $100 purchase you’ll get $100 back in 4 installments! That means extra breaker bars, pliers, extensions etc.

See my post:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I’d recommend the Craftsman 230pcs set @$89.99, with $11 more to make a $100 purchase you’ll get $100 back in 4 installments! That means extra breaker bars, pliers, extensions etc.

See my post:
Unfortunately, that set only includes 3 combo wrench (3 metric and 3 SAE) which doesn't even include a 10 mm wrench, which is probably the most common size needed on a Toyota.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Yeah but I wouldn’t worry so much about it given the extra $100 back. Overall if you add things up, you’ll get more tools for the buck.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yeah but I wouldn’t worry so much about it given the extra $100 back. Overall if you add things up, you’ll get more tools for the buck.
Looks like that deal expires today, and lots of complicated rules:

• Offer valid in store and online 11/3–12/7/19. (expires today)
  • Get $100 CASHBACK in points when you spend $100 in store or at sears.com.
  • First installment of $25 CASHBACK in points issued next day.
  • Second installment of $25 CASHBACK in points issued in every 14 days.
  • Points valid for 14 days each. Max. $100 CASHBACK in points per member per day.
  • Items must be sold by Sears.
  • Excludes Marketplace sellers, Lands' End, select mattresses (Chiswick, Chelsfield, Camberwell, Cavell, East Channel, Harlington, Harrowby, Isleworth, Kenney, Romford, Beautyrest Black, Sealy Conform Performance (High Spirits, Fondness and Thrilled), Sealy Conform Premium (Gratifying and Wondrous), Stearns & Foster, Serta iComfort, Serta iComfort Memory Foam, Serta iComfort Hybrid, Sealy Hybrid, Simmons Beautysleep, Tempur-Pedic, Tempur-Flex), Protect-A-Bed, SleepTracker, Mantua bed frames, adjustable bases (Beautyrest Smart Motions, Sealy Ease, Serta Motion (Essential, Custom and Perfect), and Tempur-Pedic (Tempur-Up, Tempur-Ergo Plus and Tempur-Premier), Serta iComfort pillows, Tempur-Pedic Tempur pillows, Stearns & Foster Premium pillows, Sealy Premium pillows, Serta Premium pillows and Beautyrest Premium pillows.
  • Purchase requirement before taxes and after other discounts and must be made in a single transaction. Limit one per member per order and per promotional period. Cannot be combined with any other CASHBACK offer.
  • Points cannot be redeemed on Marketplace, grocery or drugstore items.
  • By accepting Shop Your Way member benefits and offers, you agree to the Shop Your Way terms and conditions, available at www.shopyourway.com/terms. Members earn points on qualifying purchases, excluding sales taxes and other fees. Points may take up to 48 hours to appear in your account. Extra points are inclusive of, and not in addition to, any base points earned on qualifying purchases. When extra point offers are combined, total points earned will be less than the combined point totals for each individual offer.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Yeah people need to catch them in time, but Christmas is just around so keep an eye out. Pretty sure it’s going to come around.

This is the best time to buy tools if you buy from Sears in particular. I got many free or near-free tools from Sears. Can’t complain.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,449 Posts
  • 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22 mm sockets
  • 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22 mm deep sockets
  • Ratchets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch
  • Wrenches of the same size as the sockets
  • Metric allen wrenches
  • Philips and flat head screwdrivers
  • Pry bar
Just the basics. Add on as needed.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,976 Posts
My trusty sidekick for the past 10 years has been the Craftsman toolset sold at Costco for $80 or so, with the following added:

- 21mm deep impact socket for lug nuts (if you have an impact wrench, otherwise get a regular chrome socket)
- 19mm deep socket
- 1/4" ratchet (comes with 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets, which I replaced when they broke)
- 12, 14mm angled ratcheting box wrenches

...and a few more like above on the side (torque wrenches 1/4" 3/8" 1/2", really). But John's post above is a good deal IMO.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for weighing in.

What is the reason to have Ratchets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch ?

How do we determine, which one to use?

I find the following with Harbor Freight .

64 Pc 1/4 In., 3/8 In., 1/2 In. Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set SKU # 63461, 63462

40 Pc 3/8 In., 1/4 In. Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set SKU # 62843, 63015

What is the pros & cons of above set for Toyota work?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Thanks for weighing in.

What is the reason to have Ratchets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch ?

How do we determine, which one to use?

I find the following with Harbor Freight .

64 Pc 1/4 In., 3/8 In., 1/2 In. Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set SKU # 63461, 63462

What is the pros & cons of above set for Toyota work?

Thanks for sharing.
First of all, Toyota only uses metric socket or wrench sizes, not SAE (inches). However, the ratchet sizes of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 are used even when metric sockets are attached to them (at least in the USA they are).

Most stuff can be done with a 3/8 ratchet. But I don't know what kind of maintenance you are talking about. The advantage of 1/2 inch ratchet is that you can get more leverage on larger and really tight bolts, but you could also just get a breaker-bar for those. Some sockets are so large they require a 1/2 inch ratchet, but I use a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter, which works fine so long as a lot of torque is not required. If you are going to be changing out suspension parts, you might need a 1/2 inch socket set.

A 1/4 inch ratchet is useful for small bolts/screws, but not sure there are many of those on a Toyota, unless you plan of removing door panels, instrument cluster, etc. I use my 1/4 SAE sockets around the house for small stuff, especially on things like computer screw/bolts, HVAC vents, etc.

Keep in mind that the better quality sets will last a lifetime, so if you find a good deal, even if not needed for your Toyota, it might be wise to buy it. But I am not sure if the Harbor Freight stuff is the same quality as Craftsman, DeWalt, Huskey, etc.

Also, a lot of the sets contain a ridiculous number of screw bits or hex key (allen) wrenches, just to jack up the piece count. The Craftsman set mentioned above has 50 screw bits, but only 3 combo wrenches (in metric and SAE) which means you really need to buy a whole new combo wrench set of a minimum of 6 (preferably 8 or more) wrenches each for metric and SAE sizes. A combo wrench can fit in tight places where a socket cannot fit, so they are important tools.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't use Harbor Freight hand tools...they are not the quality of some of the other brands mentioned in this thread. Bust a knuckle just once with a cheap tool and you'll be a believer of a higher quality tool. On the other hand, you don't need a brand like Snap-On as they are designed for the mechanic that works professionally, daily, for years.

Most all of my tools are Craftsman and old. I still have and use the original 3/8" Craftsman socket set I bought in 1977 (after I busted a knuckle when a K-Mart wrench snapped on me). Lowes sells Craftsman tools now and I really am not sure of their current quality. But Lowes also has Kolbalt brand tools and my friends who have them really like them.

Previous posts on this thread have given excellent suggestions. These days, when I need to buy just a single tool, I usually go to NAPA and buy one of their name brand or the the local farm and ranch supply and get a DeWalt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The sockets look like 12-point. You can Google "12 point sockets vs 6 point", but I'd choose 6-point to work on cars.

It may actually be fine.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/40+PIECE+1_4"+AND+3_8"+DRIVE+SOCKET+SET

There is also a 30% off coupon that may make it even cheaper:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/

In https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/5s-fe-gen4-timing-belt-water-pump-camshaft-seal-crankshaft-seal-oil-pump-seal-o-ring.1667831/, I listed the tools I used to change my timing belt, etc.

In the first post you can see the Home Depot set I got by with initially. In "Tools - Other", under Sears, I explained the sockets I got. The "3/8 drive metric set" is still $9.99, and is a quality set, except the rachet is too short (so I'd use the rachet from the Home Depot set).

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
511 Posts
x2 about 6 point instead of 12 point sockets

the only appeal of 12 pt is they are easier to use (twice as many angles they'll go on), but in all other ways they're inferior to the much more solid grip on the fastener that you can get with a 6 point socket

Once you strip a head on a bolt/nut with a 12pt you'll be swearing at yourself for not having bought 6pt in the first place. Note that almost all "do it all" tool kits come with the cheaper 12pt ones.

Note that working on a brand new car (or one less than, say, 5 years old) is super, crazy easy, compared with working on a real car with 10 or so years (and corrosion) on it. If you live in LA, or Phoenix, you'll find no difference, but in most of the rest of the country it makes a huge difference. This is where the 6pt sockets really shine.

Tools are an interesting topic, because while a basic tool set (as described by the others above) is fine for a lot of jobs, it is amazing how having just the RIGHT tool for a job can make the difference between a 1 hour task and the whole afternoon. And often, that means getting leverage where you need it, when you need it. The more you work on your own cars, and household items, the more tools you'll find you want/ need (and the shorter each repair job will become).

Oh, and whenever you can, watch the person you've hired for a task, to see how they do it, and what tools they use (and watch youtube videos too). These are amazing learning experiences. Sometimes the simplest tool is the best. Sometimes a special tool you'd never think of owning is just what is needed.

Sometimes you'll learn a lesson that will stick with you for the rest of your life. I am just now reflecting on how I learned the value of 6pt sockets, in a junkyard, when I couldn't get a part off and the yard owner came over with his tool set and zipped it off for me. He said, "kid, get yourself a set of these". That was a loooong time ago.

:)

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,449 Posts
I wouldn't use Harbor Freight hand tools...they are not the quality of some of the other brands mentioned in this thread. Bust a knuckle just once with a cheap tool and you'll be a believer of a higher quality tool. On the other hand, you don't need a brand like Snap-On as they are designed for the mechanic that works professionally, daily, for years.

Most all of my tools are Craftsman and old. I still have and use the original 3/8" Craftsman socket set I bought in 1977 (after I busted a knuckle when a K-Mart wrench snapped on me). Lowes sells Craftsman tools now and I really am not sure of their current quality. But Lowes also has Kolbalt brand tools and my friends who have them really like them.

Previous posts on this thread have given excellent suggestions. These days, when I need to buy just a single tool, I usually go to NAPA and buy one of their name brand or the the local farm and ranch supply and get a DeWalt.
It mostly depends on which Harbor Freight tools you buy. I keep just a basic set in my ammo box in my car, I keep my GearWrench at my dads house because I have nowhere to put it.
Garbage
Good
Better (with the ratchet from above)
Suitable

·
Registered
518 Posts
To be honest, my son has a Pittsburgh set of tools that he carries in his car. They have been fine for what he has done. Replace battery, replace alternator, replace starter, etc. We even used his set to replace a timing belt on his Ford Ranger a few years ago. I know they are guaranteed for life, but so was that cheap little Taiwan-made wrench I busted my knuckle on years ago.

I do know that Harbor Freight does have tools that are junk. Even my wife (who buys tools, hand and power, for her theater/stage set building activities) learned her lesson with Harbor Freight cheapos (and mind you, she was buying the cheapest tools she could find at first).

So, given your post and examples, I guess it would be unfair of me to say that all of Harbor Freight's tools are junk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts