Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, don't know if this has been posted before, but what is that tube I marked in the picture for ? Can it be removed ? I believe it is connected to a canister behind the bumper, but on my car the canister is broken. The car has been like that for 10 years or more. It is on a 2005 corolla xrs. Thanks.
Screenshot_20190920-180042__01.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome Frank.
What country are you in? It will help us determine what it is.
My bet is pollution control of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Hi everyone, don't know if this has been posted before, but what is that tube I marked in the picture for ? Can it be removed ? I believe it is connected to a canister behind the bumper, but on my car the canister is broken. The car has been like that for 10 years or more. It is on a 2005 corolla xrs. Thanks. View attachment 283383
That is the tube for the secondary air injection system. Monkey wrench racing sells a delete kit. This is only used during cold start up while the system goes into closed loop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the tube for the secondary air injection system. Monkey wrench racing sells a delete kit. This is only used during cold start up while the system goes into closed loop.
Thanks. Mine has the connection to the tank broken since we bought the car back in 2007, and it annoys me whenever I turn the car on and it makes a really loud sucking noise for about 30 seconds. Couldn't find the delete kit on the monkey wrench website, do you happen to have the link ?

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Here you go. It's called a plug kit.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Thanks alot guys.

Just bear in mind, this is part of the emission system. If necessary, then you'd have to find a replacement part. A Corolla xrs just showed up in a junkyard near me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just bear in mind, this is part of the emission system. If necessary, then you'd have to find a replacement part. A Corolla xrs just showed up in a junkyard near me.
On mine the pump broke where the hose connects to the pump. I could either try to repair it or find one in a junkyard.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
What state?

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Unless you are required to do emission testing, then a replacement part will be needed. If not, then the delete kit will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless you are required to do emission testing, then a replacement part will be needed. If not, then the delete kit will work.
Here in Puerto Rico we are required to do emissions testing, that is why I want to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Ok.

Is the damage only limited to the housing inside the box or is it at the air injection tube?

Edit : re-read your original post. You may need to use eBay to source the canister of the air injection system. Monkey wrench racing only sells the air injector. I haven't taken mine apart, but is it just the housing that's broken? Any cel for the air injector?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok.

Is the damage only limited to the housing inside the box or is it at the air injection tube?
It broke where the box and the tube connect, so the inlet of the box is still inside of the tube. I believe that with some time and epoxy I may be able to fix it. My main limitations are time and lack of tools/mechanical experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Okay. Then eBay will be your best source for the assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. Then eBay will be your best source for the assembly.
Thanks, I will look around ebay and see if I can find it. I really baby my car, I always take good care of it and want to fix all the little kinks it has. It only has 85000 miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same issue on my car, secondary smog pump code causing me to fail smog. I left my broken secondary smog pump in but just ran an 03 matrix xrs ecu and so far 10k CEL free miles and passed smog :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same issue on my car, secondary smog pump code causing me to fail smog. I left my broken secondary smog pump in but just ran an 03 matrix xrs ecu and so far 10k CEL free miles and passed smog :cool:
I will look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
In the future, I will be planning to remove mine. Though, not sure when that will be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts