Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Camry SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all,

Been getting this scary rubber growling and rumbling noise on cold startups (sounds like a rubber fart), noise coming from right side of the car. Only happens once when engine turns on, same sound occurs whenever pressing gas pedal and accelerating at wide turns. Fades away and becomes silent after car is driven for 5-10 minutes, but goes back after vehicle cooled down (4-5 hours).

Car is 2007 Camry SE 4-cyl with 101K miles. No accidents, and all maintenance services were done on time (every 4K miles). FYI, Toyota recalled engine for oil consumption at 60K, never burned oil again. Put brand new exhaust muffler and pipes last year.

Last week my alternator died and I had to drive 20 miles with a dead alternator. Mechanic replaced dead alternator with a rebuilt one from a local company.
After he changed it, I turned AC on and engine started to rattle (been rattling for years). He poked a few mounts and told me we need to inspect the motor mounts because sounds like one is failing. The growling issue in the video started to happen right after that same day.

From your experience, is this a faulty alternator sound? A pulley/belt noise? Or a faulty motor mount that got worse after he poked it with the crowbar?

VIDEO 1:

VIDEO 2:

Any ideas would be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Camry SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds suspiciously like the alternator (unfortunately). What's the sticker on the alternator say?
Could be, but I've never heard alternators growl like that before, only heard them whir and if the pulley is bad , squeal. Is there a way to test or know for sure?
And the sticker has the company name and the 6 months warranty on this rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Only reason I asked about the sticker is that the alternators in this generation of Camrys seem to be notoriously bad. My previous (aftermarket) alternator only lasted 2 years, and was also really loud. I just got done replacing it with a Denso and it's a ton quieter. The Denso only has a 1 year warranty, rather than the lifetime warranty on the previous, but I suspect it'll last a lot longer.

As for testing whether it's the alternator or a different part, I've heard of people putting a hose or a screwdriver next to the part on one end and your ear on the other. The noise gets amplified somewhat and hopefully better pinpoints the location.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Camry SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only reason I asked about the sticker is that the alternators in this generation of Camrys seem to be notoriously bad. My previous (aftermarket) alternator only lasted 2 years, and was also really loud. I just got done replacing it with a Denso and it's a ton quieter. The Denso only has a 1 year warranty, rather than the lifetime warranty on the previous, but I suspect it'll last a lot longer.

As for testing whether it's the alternator or a different part, I've heard of people putting a hose or a screwdriver next to the part on one end and your ear on the other. The noise gets amplified somewhat and hopefully better pinpoints the location.
Wish I knew about Denso earlier. But I kinda had no choice as the car stalled in the middle of the road and I had to install whatever the mechanic had in stock in order to get home. Ordering Denso parts would have taken a two-three days at the very least.

Hard to diagnose the sound with a screwdriver as it only appears for a second on startups and accelerations. If it is indeed the rebuilt alternator, I am wondering if I should ask my mechanic to replace the part under that factory's warranty?(factory located right next to him). And will it be fair to pay him again for the re-install labor if the product he installed is faulty?

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,111 Posts
That sounds like some slap in the timing chain or possibly a locking pin in the phaser sheared off. Goes away once oil pressure builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Camry SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like some slap in the timing chain or possibly a locking pin in the phaser sheared off. Goes away once oil pressure builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does sound familiar to what you have described but luckily it isn't the issue or related to the engine at all. The issue started on the same day I replaced the dead alternator with a rebuilt one, and it is not coming from the engine. It is heard straight from the serpentine belt area. Which means either faulty rebuilt alternator (garbage internal bearings), cracked belt/pulleys/tensioner, or right motor mount which was already going bad. Problem is that I can't find out which one of those makes what noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts