Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm obviously not happy about it. I suspect it was done during assembly and masked with something that, once cleaned off, revealed the extent of the blemish.
2020-03-18-11h57m06.JPG
2020-03-18-11h57m06.JPG

·
Registered
653 Posts
Or if the wrong thing was used to clean it could have removed the dye. If this is brand new get back to the dealer ASAP to lodge your complaint. If it is not something on the surface that cannot be removed the only real fix is to replace it. The dealer may try to have a local vendor re-dye it and blend it in which is probably what I would do if it was my dime and not brand new, but I would not accept that solution if it is a warranty issue. It may look perfect after the repair, but several years in the sun may undo it or it may fade at a different rate than the surrounding area and take years to reappear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's brand new as in the paperwork is still in the dealer's name. I had considered that the dye is gone. The sun is DEFINITELY going to be a factor since we're in Tucson. My instincts are to push long and hard for them to replace the dash.

·
Registered
653 Posts
As in you have not signed purchase and loan docs and left the dealership with the car? If you have not taken delivery then make it a requirement of completing the sale. I would suspect that they will try to switch cars rather than replace the dash so that they can repair it and pass it off to a future unsuspecting customer, especially if they created this issue at the dealership, but if can be processed as a warranty issue they likely won't balk and will replace it. The problem will be the time frame to get the new dash and do the swap. I suspect it is quite a job to change it out which brings another issue and that is a long term rattle/squeak potential from having it apart and back together at the dealer. If it's not just on the surface and easily cleaned I would pass for another car, but that's just me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly and unfortunately, it's ours. The paperwork isn't complete because the dealership is... inept.

I would happily pass it off for another car if it were an option. But Ii was the only white Camry Hybrid LE in Tucson.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good luck then. It is still possible that it is simply on the surface, but whatever you do DON'T try to deal with it yourself lest they accuse you of making it worse. If they still require a signature or something from you do NOT give up your leverage! Is it a lease or purchase? If lease make sure you have documentation of the condition at delivery so they can't ding you at turn in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's ours. Toyota just turned it over to a case manager. Please wish me luck.

P.S. I also just found out that a recall was issued February 6th for engines in the hybrid that were manufactured incorrectly. According to Toyota, the dealer never addressed the recall (or did and didn't document it) and should NOT have sold me that car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts