Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this the plug for the Towing Prep Package? It's 14-pin, NOT 10-pin like I found in searches.
If so, which harness do I need for it?
This is the opening of the driverside, left, rear, taillight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, that is the wiring harness. You can pick-up a "T" connector from your local parts supplier that will plug right in.

·
Registered
'06 Highlander
8 Posts
Curt Mfg wiring harness model #56107 will fit the '04-'07 harness connector that I'm aware of (ten pin)... maybe they have a match for your 14-pin '02. I'm not familiar with the '02, but when you get the wiring harness for it you might find it easier to mount things down below, under the storage bin, rather than up through, inside the tail light access panel where you've shown it in your photo. Good luck getting the right parts! I know I had to search for countless hours online through multiple forums and parts suppliers until I found exactly what I needed to install a hitch and wiring for my '06 Highlander.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a Curt catalogue that lists the 04-07 using part # 55400 and 01-03 using part # 55245. The 04-07 incorporates a converter.

·
Registered
'06 Highlander
8 Posts
Yes, when I was looking for my '06 hitch and wiring, the part #55400 kept coming up. But after exploring all the details, I found it did not connect to the car's connector at all, and instead required a nest of leads here and there, including right up to the battery itself. This was meant to accommodate all vehicles, including those without the "towing prep" package and pre-installed harness connector. I found the alternate #56107 for the '04-'07 as an option on Curt Mfg's website, verified it used my connector and included the converter box, and then I asked my supplier if they could sub this instead of the 55400, which they did for no charge. If you do some digging (you'll hopefully find some images of the part that will show the one connector, the converter, and the 4-pin hitch lead, but it also really paid off in my case to discuss directly with my supplier after I found my part #.

My supplier for Curt Mfg was total_hitch on ebay, and I found my package here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2305fde65c

They accommodated my request to swap the part number, and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. The price including shipping was unbeatable for me here in Western Canada ($203CAD delivered!).

It's also good to know if you have a tranny cooler (part of the "towing prep" package). Not sure why the forum threads were over there, but I found the tundrasolutions.com forum had some very useful discussions specifically of Highlander hitch installations with helpful photos. Please keep us posted about what you find for the '02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts