Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned two Tacomas and I swear I feel like I'm replacing my headlamps every several months.

I tried buying more expensive bulbs and same thing. Now I'm just buying the cheap ones because it's getting to be annoying. I have to start carrying an extra set with me so I dont end up getting a 40 dollar ticket.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus, that I hate, but the headlamps are original and have 120,000 miles on them. What's up with that?!?!?!

·
Registered
'07 Double cab
154 Posts
I've got an '07 Tacoma, and the only bulb I've ever changed is one brake light. Every other one is original still.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's craziness. My first Taco was a first gen and now I'm in a second gen. I don't understand.

·
My Other Truck
3,814 Posts
Unless there's a problem with your Tacoma's electrical system (voltage spikes?) I can only guess it's the bulbs. Depending on what bulbs you buy, more expensive may not mean better quality. In some cases, quite the opposite. And cheap might simply mean poor quality. FWIW, my 2005 still has all original bulbs.

Not knowing anything else about your particular situation, I can only suggest getting bulbs with a well-known European brand name, and sticking with stock wattages. Hella, Philips, Osram, Narva, & a few others all make top quality bulbs. Some can be harder to find. Stuff like PIAA and anything with Hyper or Extreme in its name probably won't last long. Neither will most over-wattage bulbs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can't be my truck because ive been having the same issue with two seperate trucks. Ive been buying Sylvania bulbs. I think that's how you spell it. I try something what you mentioned and see how that goes. Thanks.

·
My Other Truck
3,814 Posts
It can't be my truck because ive been having the same issue with two seperate trucks. Ive been buying Sylvania bulbs. I think that's how you spell it. I try something what you mentioned and see how that goes. Thanks.
Yup, that's how it's spelled, and unfortunately that can spell trouble. It's entirely possible that Sylvania makes some good bulbs.... but they also sell (and heavily promote) Silverstars which are notorious for their short life.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
180 Posts
Wash any new headlamp bulb with 95% alcohol and a paper towel while wearing nitrile gloves before you install it. Do not touch the glass with your skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts